Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hackerspace - Navan

Options
  • 01-11-2012 10:50am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone interested in setting up a Hacker/Maker space in Navan. I know there is one in Drogheda and TOG in Dublin. I'm just thinking that, it would be interesting and a little bit fun to have one in Navan also.

I'm sure there would be artists and people with a wide variety of interests, who would like to get together and see what comes of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

any space in particular in mind?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If you mean, what should the space do or focus on? Then I have no preference. I'm into both Art, Photography, Engineering (Robotics, Software and Mechanical) and putting skills to use in developing new and useful items for around the home and beyond.

If you mean location, then I'm unsure at the moment. I'd have to put time and effort into putting something together for the interm until something can be put into motion.

I suppose the whole idea is to create a space, where people can come and share ideas or band together and work on ideas that can be discussed and developed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Very interested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

If we get enough interest, we can start advertising a group around Navan. Even look for a premise!

December 8th (Saturday) for a meet up here in Navan and we can discuss setting up a space?

• Advertisement

Anyone know of a good place to meet up as I'm new to Navan.

Have an idea for a space, but sadly these things cost money.

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=77072

Might e-mail some TDs on Monday and ask them .

Yeah that would be a start. See if there is any unused premises around Navan. Could email the Guys in Drogheda and Dublin to see how they do things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jhope88

Hi there,

I've just spotted this thread. I'm one of the people involved with the Drogheda Makerspace. Great to see a similar effort in Navan. We started by creating a twitter account and a google group to start initial discussion. And soon after started meeting up every two weeks at the D Hotel for a quick chat and a pint. We then approached a few local community centres, business incubators etc. One of which (Millmount RDC) kindly provided us a room to hold a few workshops for minimal cost. This helped build the community and we have just obtained keys to two rooms there. Just let us know if you need input/help from us and the TOG guys are always helpful too. We are learning the ropes as we go along too, so it would be interesting to see how you guys go about it too. Best of luck with it,
    Jon

Cool, thanks for the input. I'll get something moving in the form of a google group and twitter account tonight then and see what happens.

• Advertisement

So I set up the Google Group and Twitter Account as suggested.

Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/navan-labs

and Twitter: @NavanHack_Space

May suggest a hosted forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Hi Guys

I'm part of the Drogheda Hacker Space also. Any questions fire away and the best of luck with it! We're just picking stuff up as we go along and we were talking today on how far we've come in such a short while (8 months). When your up and running we should join up for an open night.

Ding

Thanks for the post and well done on the Drogheda Group. Would be more than happy to see if the Drogheda and Dublin could come from an Open night.

Anyone still interested in a meet up, can suggest another date and time for a meet up as I am unavailable this weekend. Really want to get it going.

Count me in anyhow. Wonder if anyone from Drogheda would come too?

The Drogheda Hacker Space said if we drop them a mail, they'll come.

Itzy wrote: »
    The Drogheda Hacker Space said if we drop them a mail, they'll come.

Don't have any twitter, myspace, google plus account yokes. Would next week sometime suit?

I'm heading off this weekend to Sligo, so any day next weekend would be good.

So how about this coming Saturday for a meet up, for an hour or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

morning -ish? say coffee around 11?

Sounds good. I need to do some last minute shopping, 11 suits.

Navan Hackerspace.

Saturday 22/12, 11am. Ardboyne hotel, near the rugby club. All welcome.

Someone had to call it ;) See ye then

Only new to Navan, so I wasn't sure what would suit. Sounds good.

Itzy wrote: »
    Only new to Navan, so I wasn't sure what would suit. Sounds good.
    So where are you

Was great to meet Skrynesaver. Hoping to meet up again in the new Year.
    Keeping this thread alive and again open invitation to anyone to meet up.

http://www.tog.ie/ is the Dublin hackerspace/makerspace website.

Absolutely, would be nice to meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭kyote00

hi folks

I would like to help also. Have lots of arduino and rpi experience

live just outside trim

• Advertisement

Of course, the more the merrier!

Advertisement