Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hackerspace - Navan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So shall we make a plan to meet up early next month? I'm tied up until the first week of February when I'll have a week off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭niallb

Following thread!
    Interesting to see what might come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Sorry Itzy... was ment to get back to you on heading to this too but christmas was a bit of a mad time in this house! :D

Would be up for a meet too re hackerspace whenever suits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anyone want to meet up at the end of this week of following week?

Meet up at 7 in the Ard Boyne Hotel this Friday?

• Advertisement

May set up a facebook group later if all is in agreement.

Itzy wrote: »
    Meet up at 7 in the Ard Boyne Hotel this Friday?

7's a little early for me, but I'll get down as soon as I can if it goes ahead.
    Looking forward to it.

Can wait until later. 8 or 9, not sure what is suitable for everyone.

I'd make it for 7:30 fairly easily, so if earlier is good for others let it stand.
    Hope we get a few takers!

Hopefully.

• Advertisement

Half seven would suit me.

On my way!

OK...
    Me and Access are sitting by the side door to the car park in the hall outside the bar.

Good to meet @Access last night.

Conversation mostly about Raspberry Pi's, HTPC's, networking and 3D printing.

Starting something like this off can be slow as it's difficult to get a group of people together at the same time,
    but if even a couple of people can catch up at each one, it's still worth having meet ups.
    A lot of useful stuff could be discussed on a forum or a facebook/google group -
    what skills and equipment people have that they're willing to make available and
    to demonstrate and teach being something we started to talk about last night.

@Access is involved in another project in Navan that uses the Education Center, and one possibility would be
    to arrange a demonstration there which might lead to a more long term relationship around occasionally using space there.

A trip to the hackerspace in Drogheda might be a good thing to pursue with the folks there.
    While numbers are small, it might be worth taking a trip to one of their group nights to see how they're doing things.
    We could meet up in Navan and/or Dunshaughlin to car pool a small group over without too much bother,
    and make a contribution towards the cost of their room.

My personal feeling would be to concentrate on the hacking first, and move it to a 'space' when a big enough core group has solidified.
    A bit of media coverage is a very good thing to have already done before going looking for support on a space,
    so looking for something specific that would encourage us to get together and do could be a good move.
    Until then, we could have informal meetups in a hotel or peoples houses.

Any suggestions?
    Looking forward to meeting more of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Hi Guys

I thought you may be interested in Gaelhack the first All Ireland Maker Camp in June. Not sure if you've seen it but the details are here. http://gaelhack.hackerspaces.ie/

Your welcome over at #lightboxlab anytime. Let us know if your heading up though as the space opens based on availability of members. Our membership is still quite small as we've concentrated on getting a space, admin side, website, bank stuff etc. We'll be concentrating on building membership over the coming year.

Good meet with niallb the last night... no sign of others unfortunately on the night.

Hopefully our paths didn't pass by each other... it can happen though... think me need a place or corner of the bar/reception as i didn't cross paths with niallb for 15 minutes as we were sitting in two different areas!

Keep us informed of the next meet.

That would be idea. Is there a coder dojo in town? We could even head to the education centre some evening.

Itzy wrote: »
    That would be idea. Is there a coder dojo in town? We could even head to the education centre some evening.

Yep... the coder dojo is up and running in navan now... they have already sold out tickets each month and are running at full capacity now.

Think it might be an idea to keep the hackerspace separate to them and do our own thing. Its mainly kids under 12 at the coder and its focusing on Scratch only for now and they seem happen to stay the way they are at the moment without branching into anything else.

Any idea of a march meet on the cards Itzy?

It's with some regret that I have to leave Navan this week :( but I was thinking and hoping that someone could take over. You all could co-ordinate with Drogheda and Dublin to start up and expand the space.

So where to next on this... any others willing to take the reins on this one?

I would go even if it didnt evolve into a full blown hackerspace, but if it turned out to resemble something close to a group of like-minded people, who could meet up maybe once a month and work on some projects together... anything from building our own arcade machines to setting up HTPCs and NAS to making Raspberry Pis do mad things and that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Access wrote: »
    So where to next on this... any others willing to take the reins on this one?

I would go even if it didnt evolve into a full blown hackerspace, but if it turned out to resemble something close to a group of like-minded people, who could meet up maybe once a month and work on some projects together... anything from building our own arcade machines to setting up HTPCs and NAS to making Raspberry Pis do mad things and that sort of thing.

Absolutely crap at programming, but can handle the plug wiring aspects of machines. That count?

squod wrote: »
    Absolutely crap at programming, but can handle the plug wiring aspects of machines. That count?

I have no programming backround myself, so yep that counts. :D

any more takers out there?

No more takers? :confused:

Even if it only ment for meeting for a few beers to talk sh1te about tech?

How about you and me arrange to meet up again, and see if anyone else shows on the night?

Sounds like a plan.

Anyone else up for a meet - all males and females welcome of any ability - you dont have to have a great knowledge of all things tech... but at least its an excuse to get out of the house and away from work and kids for a couple of hours! :D:D:D

Thurs or fri or sat this week or next? Maybe somewhere in Navan?

Not this week anyway. Kids still on holidays and better give it a week from the day once it's picked so people have some chance of making it.
    Navan is in the middle for you and me anyway, but if anyone has a suggestion that'd make it more interesting, I'm open to travel within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Navn

Hello, just wondering if this hacker space is still on the go? Anywhere I can get more information on it?

Hi Navn.
    It never got to be a "Space" at least for now.
    All that happened so far were two meetings between a few interested people.
    I'd say most of those people are still interested on some level, and it might be time to try to get a few back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Well I'm still following the thread, but I don't have as much time as I had unfortunately

Nonetheless i'd be interested in seeing this happen, though wouldn't have a lot of time to offer.

• Advertisement

I wish I could have given the time, but I had to move back to Athlone. Would be a bit of a trek for the occasional meet up.

Advertisement