Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 Christmas presents/decorations/etc thread

Options
  • 01-11-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Halloween is behind us and it just over 50 days until Santa comes. This means the hunt for presents for friends and family begins.
    Please use this thread to ask where in the city or surrounding you can find presents and decorations - well, anything that you need to buy for Christmas.

For outings with work, use a separate thread.

Don't forget boards' own Christmas forum.
    If you need gift ideas there is a forum here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Too early, far too early :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

should this not be in the Christmas Forum and not the Galway forum? I've seen lesser things moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

snubbleste wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about anyone rushing out to get you a present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah c'mon, that's just mean :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »

No not too early. Was in liverpool a couple of weeks ago, they had decorations up in the shops and some pubs.

Besides the Christmas shopping season traditionally starts after the October bank holiday in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was in Woodies for the Halloween costume hunt. They had a couple of shelves for Halloween and already tonnes of Christmas decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

M and S have the prettiest decorations this year. They are all glass /white - they look so fragile and dainty. V. expensive tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

biko wrote: »
    Was in Woodies for the Halloween costume hunt. They had a couple of shelves for Halloween and already tonnes of Christmas decorations.
    Two wrongs don't make a right...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Two Christmas shops opened a day or two ago. One in the joke shop in Mainguard street and another opposite Roches.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Hey i'm not in Galway this year but i'll be back on the 20th of December and i'm hoping to get to the Christmas Market before it finishes.

Does anybody have any information about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hey i'm not in Galway this year but i'll be back on the 20th of December and i'm hoping to get to the Christmas Market before it finishes.

Does anybody have any information about it?
    http://www.galwaychristmasmarket.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

29465513.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

i already got my 'pis$ take' xmas jumper, looking forward to wearing it. (how soon is okay to wear it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dinneenp wrote: »
    i already got my 'pis$ take' xmas jumper, looking forward to wearing it. (how soon is okay to wear it?)

Not before the annual invasion of the towns by cluchies doing "da shoppin'" (December 8th to the rest of us).

I also use it as a rule of thumb for all things publicly christmas: house decorations (inside and out), harassing radio stations for songs that we'll be sick of in a few weeks etc.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Anyone know when the lights will be turned on this year?
    Only asking because I heard its being done in Dublin pretty soon.

Should be soon, the market start 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

They were being put up tonight!

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Anyone know when the lights will be turned on this year?
    Only asking because I heard its being done in Dublin pretty soon.
    'The Christmas Lights will be switched on this Friday evening by Lily Mae Morrison, the Claregalway child who is battling neuroblastoma.' GA Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

So the market is in full swing. Anyone been in there yet?
    Havent been myself, but from looking at the advertiser web cam of eyre square, it doesn't look half as big as previous years. Hope its just the poor angle of the camera

I never knew they have a webcam pointing towards the square

Link to Webcam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Well, if any of you want to get on the train out of town, we're having our Christmas Market in Athenry from Thur 13th till Sat 15th of December. It's mostly local producers with their crafts and food. At the same time there's in The Heritage Centre there's Santa's Winter Wonderland. This is a true community project with local Choirs and schools Caroling and musicians giving it seasonal welly.

This is all happening in the Town Square around the high cross. It's on from 10am till 6pm. A lovely day out with the children, and indeed, yer parents;)

GastroBoy wrote: »
    So the market is in full swing. Anyone been in there yet?
    Havent been myself, but from looking at the advertiser web cam of eyre square, it doesn't look half as big as previous years. Hope its just the poor angle of the camera
    Seems fairly similar to last year, a good new addition is the small covered Mulled Wine bar, do other hot drinks too i think. Had a roast pork wrap, damn nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sean1986

Anyone know where to get a real Christmas tree around town?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Dangan Nurseries, near the Westwood, have a big sign up saying real trees available.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

Anyone know where I can get a hamper of herbal teas as a xmas gift

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I'm pretty sure I saw them advertised as being in Debenhams. In a little wooden box. They looked quite nice. I hope I'm not leading you wrong now but I'm almost sure that's where I saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The folks in The Secret Garden are lovely and I think they would make you up a basket. Here's their Facebook Page. They're beside The Blue Note.

You could also buy some boxes at the health food shop, but I think the craft feel of SG would make a nicer present.

Advertisement