Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCarthy takes Ipswich job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's weird the way Keane managed them before.

And Keane managed Sunderland after McCarthy.

We'll probably get to hear Moichal MacMulllllennnnn refer to them as "Mick McCorrrrthy's Ipswich" for the foreseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Jesus, him and Roy are getting like two mates who always end up riding each others ex girlfriends. If Roy ever gets the Ireland job it would surely be a record for team managements shared by that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He'll take them up and back down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Kevin Doyle to Ipswich in January so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Mic.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Mick and Roy - bound together in some sort of weird karmic ping pong game.
    Jesus, him and Roy are getting like two mates who always end up riding each others ex girlfriends. If Roy ever gets the Ireland job it would surely be a record for team managements shared by that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Daryl Murphy will be happy, didn't Mick buy him at Sunderland? Will probably make the loan move permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

funny the way time heals old wounds , I now like both of them , and they seam to get on

best of luck Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I thought Mick would have been a decent shout for the Blackburn job.

Always liked the man,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hope he does a good job for them.

They could be back in the EPL in 3 seasons if hes allowed time and a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

More of this on the way hopefully:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hopefully he is great success there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Hope it goes well for him. Always liked the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I hope he gets sacked on 15/10/2013.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I hope he gets sacked on 15/10/2013.

why this date dude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hope he takes them down to League 1 and leave the club then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

who is he bringing in as number 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

syngindub wrote: »

Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

syngindub wrote: »

Terry Connor, despite the reports of Matt Holland being involved.

Hope it goes well for Mick, apart from his first game against Birmingham. I rate him as a manager, good man management. Not an easy job he has, Ipswich's squad is pretty poor. I thought he would have waited around for a better job to become available, certainly a better resourced and quality club than Ipswich. Not entirely sure it will work out for him there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

kensutz wrote: »
    Hope he takes them down to League 1 and leave the club then.
    But then wouldn't you say the same whoever managed Ipswich! Where's the inter-anglian love?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I can see the likes of Andy Keogh and Stephen Hunt ending up there.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    But then wouldn't you say the same whoever managed Ipswich! Where's the inter-anglian love?

Too right I would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Mick turned down the Forest job, to take charge of the bottom club who have been on the slide for three seasons now - It's the footballing equivalent of holding out for a fitter bird when there was a good looking one ready to be taken home, and at the end of the night you end up with an ugly mess that needs you to sort her problems out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

He's better than this job but good luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

grenache wrote: »
    Mick turned down the Forest job, to take charge of the bottom club who have been on the slide for three seasons now - It's the footballing equivalent of holding out for a fitter bird when there was a good looking one ready to be taken home, and at the end of the night you end up with an ugly mess that needs you to sort her problems out.

No one can blame him for not taking the Forest job with those owners there. It was far too unpredictable.

Paully D wrote: »

No one can blame him for not taking the Forest job with those owners there. It was far too unpredictable.
    Looking silly now though. The Al Sasawis are the polar opposites of Venkys or Glazers. They're in it for the long haul, not for a financial killing. Bad decision by Mick. But we're very happy with SOD, so it's all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

he has a 3.5yr deal. his task this year is to avoid relegation, which i think he'll do. yes the squad is average, but it needs leadership more than anything and mick can provide that. there are a number of players that need to get the road though, chopra being the main one, jay emmanuel thomas is another that needs a rocket up him.

Mick will have a tough job but he is exactly the type of manager required at the mo.

plus he has the added incentive of a £1million bonus if the club avoids relegation this year, which is on top of his £1million a year salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

who_ru wrote: »
    Mick will have a tough job but he is exactly the type of manager required at the mo.

That's the thing, it's horses for courses. He might not be the right man to manage Chelsea or Real Madrid but he is ideal for this sort of troubleshooting role.

which is on top of his £1million a year salary.

Is he really on 1M per year? That seems high for Ipswich. Who is their highest paid player?

• Advertisement

Ipswich beat Brum away, 0-1

mike65 wrote: »
    Ipswich beat Brum away, 0-1
    Half the division has won there though. Barnsley won 5-0 there last month. Brum wi do well to stay in the Championship.

As you were Ipswich! As you were...:D

5 nil away to the league leaders who had 3 pennos awarded to them, well lets put it down as a bad night.

this was Mick's 2nd game in charge, he's had the team for 4 training sessions, Burnley at home on saturday could be another 3 points, but our full backs are woeful, not defenders at all really. Carlos Edwards is a midfielder and Arron Cresswell is more a winger if you ask me.

lets see where we are at xmas and then i will tell you whether we are going down or not. But it's grim right now.

5 nil away to the league leaders who had 3 pennos awarded to them, well lets put it down as a bad night.

this was Mick's 2nd game in charge, he's had the team for 4 training sessions, Burnley at home on saturday could be another 3 points, but our full backs are woeful, not defenders at all really. Carlos Edwards is a midfielder and Arron Cresswell is more a winger if you ask me.

lets see where we are at xmas and then i will tell you whether we are going down or not. But it's grim right now.
    3167358230.jpg

For all your problems, this man is your greatest ;)

Mick has serious job ahead. Not going to work wonders overnight though.

• Advertisement

Mick has serious job ahead. Not going to work wonders overnight though.
    With that defence, he'll need more than wonders! Evans need to put his hands in his pockets in January. They need at least 3 quality defenders and a midfielder. Otherwise it's gonna be a futile struggle.

the midfield will be okay, no need for reinforcements there. Jewell just couldn't see the problem that was right in front of him - the team cannot defend - and he then went and signed midfielder after midfielder.

every team in the league has long ago sussed out that our full backs cannot defend and therefore pile the pressure on them knowing they'll crack sooner or later.

we have a youngster coming into the squad now, Elliot Hewitt, a highly rated right back, he's only 18 and has been out with a hip injury all season. I know it's asking a lot for an 18 year old to make the right back slot his own, but if he did it would be a boost.

a clean sheet against burnley tomorrow, charlie austin and all, would be great.

here's hoping.

Wonn today 2-1 Burnley, and they are finally off the bottom to 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I have a soft spot for Ipswich as I have an English mate from there who's a big fan. He was sceptical about the appointment.

Really like Big Mick too, so hope for everyone's sake that they can stay up and build towards a play-off push for next season

So far so good today. Only 6-0 at the hands of Leicester.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    So far so good today. Only 6-0 at the hands of Leicester.
    You're so mean :D

Looking forward to picking up another 3pts at home to Peterborough next weekend which will make it 9pts from a possible 15pts since Mick took over.:)

Ipswich Town 3 - 1 Nottingham Forest

only flying in the league! 3 wins, a draw and 2 loses since he took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Hel do a good job but I think he deserved a bigger job. Underrated manager hasnt done a bad job anywhere.

job job job job job job job job:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Well Mick has got another good home win out of the way. I guess we can expect 0-7 at the weekend.

Christmas came early for the Tractors tonight. The defending from Forest for the first and third goal was pure comedy gold. Campbell also slipped for the penalty, I don't think Collins fouled him. Forest didn't play well and were the architects of their own demise.

What Mick has instilled into this Ipswich side is fight. They gave our lads zero time on the ball. I would say they'll be alright come May. In Campbell, Murphy and Chopra they have enough quality to survive.

Peterborough, Bristol City & Wednesday are my prediction for the drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Christmas came early for the Tractors tonight. The defending from Forest for the first and third goal was pure comedy gold. Campbell also slipped for the penalty, I don't think Collins fouled him. Forest didn't play well and were the architects of their own demise.

What Mick has instilled into this Ipswich side is fight. They gave our lads zero time on the ball. I would say they'll be alright come May. In Campbell, Murphy and Chopra they have enough quality to survive.

Not helped by losing Barkley. But Paul Corry has the potential to have a big say in things - will be vital to get Wednesday safety and if he performes perhaps Barnsley will replace them going down.

Ipwich have too much quality to go down, but this is becoming a pattern. New manager comes in mid season, improves fortunes, expected to build on it the following year and fails to. I think Mick though will have them contending next year.

Wolves with a far superior squad aren't too far away from Ipswich on points - tells you a lot. Wolves decision to get rid of Mick was a mistake, obviously.

Not helped by losing Barkley. But Paul Corry has the potential to have a big say in things - will be vital to get Wednesday safety and if he performes perhaps Barnsley will replace them going down.

Ipwich have too much quality to go down, but this is becoming a pattern. New manager comes in mid season, improves fortunes, expected to build on it the following year and fails to. I think Mick though will have them contending next year.

Wolves with a far superior squad aren't too far away from Ipswich on points - tells you a lot. Wolves decision to get rid of Mick was a mistake, obviously.
    I think Wolves are still adapting to their new surroundings. They were in the PL for three seasons so relegation has most likely upset them. The change in management is another factor.

I cannot see Wednesday staying up as things currently stand. They score too few and leak too many. Although I thought they played very well against Forest last Saturday week - created a lot of opportunities but the same old failings in front of goal. Bothroyd should be doing better, he has a lot of experience at this level. But I don't think Madine can cut it in this division, not on the evidence so far anyway. Unless they buy some real quality in January, it's difficult to see how Wednesday will survive. It's a pity because they're much too big a club for League One, and have probably the best set of fans in The Championship.

Campbell's loan spell ends in january and 'arry may well want him back before that.

Murphy is so average it's not funny, he will never score enough goals.

Chopra is a joke, tittering on the brink of personal bankruptcy, no form whatsoever and I suspect Mick doesn't fancy him anyway.

We don't have enough quality, that's the problem. If you take Campbell and N'Daw out of the team then there isn't much else there.

Campbell's loan spell ends in january and 'arry may well want him back before that.

Murphy is so average it's not funny, he will never score enough goals.

Chopra is a joke, tittering on the brink of personal bankruptcy, no form whatsoever and I suspect Mick doesn't fancy him anyway.

We don't have enough quality, that's the problem. If you take Campbell and N'Daw out of the team then there isn't much else there.
    Form, bad or good, is only temporary. Chopra has scored goals at this level for close on ten years now. I agree Murphy is average. But you only need enough goals to keep you up. It's not like Peterboro, Brizzle or Wed are prolific.

Come January and Mick will surely use his clout and contacts to get in a striker and midfielder of some substance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement