Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCarthy takes Ipswich job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On a roll Bolton 1 - 2 Ipswich

3 wins, 1 draw in the last 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Well done Mick.

Ipswich 3-0 up at home to Millwall

The Mick the Magician Miracle continues....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mick is a decent person and a good manager who gets a lot out of his players.
    Continued success Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

He's actually a deadly manager in fairness. Its who he is that prob goes against him. Other managers after their success would get the chance to go up a level but for whatever reason he hasn't ever got that shot so he has the reputation of someone who will get you to the premier league but can't expect anymore after that as if he's caught out up there.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    He's actually a deadly manager in fairness. Its who he is that prob goes against him. Other managers after their success would get the chance to go up a level but for whatever reason he hasn't ever got that shot so he has the reputation of someone who will get you to the premier league but can't expect anymore after that as if he's caught out up there.
    Mark Hughes is an example of a manager that did well at a less fashionable club like blackburn and got a shot at the big time with City and QPR. Mick would never get those chances.

anyway I'm glad we have him and well done again today Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Himself and Chris Hughton are underrated managers.

Hope Mick keeps it going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

5 wins, a draw and 2 losses.

That is playoff form at very least. He's probably saved Ipswich from relegation already, if he can snag a play-off spot, that would be incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

His problems are an inability to change his system when faced with a different approach.

Cracking manager at champo level but when teams throw different **** at him he is clueless to change his team.

Expect Ipswich in the PL and Ipswich fans to demand his sacking....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Expect Ipswich in the PL and Ipswich fans to demand his sacking....
    That's like asking if the pope is a Catholic :P

I am almost positive that McCarthy will be back in the Premier League and that his fans will demand him being sacked. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

His problems are an inability to change his system when faced with a different approach.

Cracking manager at champo level but when teams throw different **** at him he is clueless to change his team.

This. A shame because I think he is a better manager than half the lads in the top flight but I would shudder if I supported a Champions League team and Mick took over at the helm.

well done to Mick and the boys, 2-1 win away to Charlton today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

grenache wrote: »
    Looking silly now though. The Al Sasawis are the polar opposites of Venkys or Glazers. They're in it for the long haul, not for a financial killing. Bad decision by Mick. But we're very happy with SOD, so it's all good.

Looks like Mick made the right decision after all. I reckon Mick will have Ipswich back in the Premier League before Forest get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

monkey9 wrote: »

Looks like Mick made the right decision after all. I reckon Mick will have Ipswich back in the Premier League before Forest get there.
    :D

Steady on there horse!

Ipswich are 2nd in the "last 6" form league. Now only 4 point behind Wolves.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

maybe just 1 behind after saturday :)

Premiership here they come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

They are putting up a statue outside Portman road of MMC as we speak

Beaten his old club, 2-0 in ET as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Beaten his old club, 2-0 in ET as it stands.
    Kevin Doyle booed off too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Kevin Doyle booed off too.

On Sky Sports News it sounded like they were saying the manager was booed for taking him off.

McCarthy seems to have what it takes. Fair play to him. Hope he comes back to manage Ireland too.

Ipswich 4 -0 Boro big result given the difference in positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to Mick some job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ipswich are going to be challenging next season, no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Happy for Mick. Interesting to see his former club Wolves slide closer to League 1. I think Ipswich will be safe this season, then with the summer to strengthen they should be challenging next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ipswich are going to be challenging next season, no doubt about that.

Championship is mental, they are 3 wins away from 7th which is doable.

Championship is mental, they are 3 wins away from 7th which is doable.
    Boro are notoriously inconsistent. 4 nil is a great win but the bottom 3 are all gaining points week by week. no room for complacency at all.

A lot of the Town first 11 are on loan unfortunately so no guarantee that next season will be a push for the play offs.

Ipswich beat Leicester and are now moving into the incredibly congested mid table melange. 10th (Bolton) to 18th (Wolves) is covered by just 6 points.

Ipswich beat Leicester and are now moving into the incredibly congested mid table melange. 10th (Bolton) to 18th (Wolves) is covered by just 6 points.
    very tough fixture next tuesday night away to Forest who are playing well under billy davis.

i think 50pts will get relegated this season the way it's going.

• Advertisement

who_ru wrote: »
    very tough fixture next tuesday night away to Forest who are playing well under billy davis.

i think 50pts will get relegated this season the way it's going.
    As long as Luke Chambers is playing centre half for the Tractors, Forest should be ok :D

beaten 1 nil away to forest, 2 men sent off didn't help things, not much Mick can do about that.

away to Peterborough at the weekend, need to get a point there at a minimum.

They got their point. It's the first time in over 100 games that Peterborough were involved in a 0-0 draw.

Mick thought Ipswich should have had a penalty at the end, got to say that I agree. A fairly blatant handball.

grenache wrote: »
    They got their point. It's the first time in over 100 games that Peterborough were involved in a 0-0 draw.

Mick thought Ipswich should have had a penalty at the end, got to say that I agree. A fairly blatant handball.

at home to bolton next who amzingly are close to play offs, the league is really unpredictable.

a win against them would be great but my worry is that brizzle and wednesday and others keep winning.

Another home win, Leeds defeated 3-0. Is it too late for a push for the play-offs? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

red card had a huge effect on that game

Mick is doing some job at Ipswich. Fair play to him. Wish him every success. He is a gentleman and a great ambassador for football. Hope he comes back to lead Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Decent away point for Ipswich tonight, but results went against them in other games with Wolves, Barnsley and Blackpool all winning.

It means that despite their excellent run and a points tally (50) that should see them safe at this stage of the season (the Championship's version of the 'safe' 40 point mark of the Premier League would be no more than 50 points if you take the same ppg average) they are still firmly embroiled in a relegation battle.

It really is a fascinating battle down there, and it must be the closest and highest points tally battle for years, and possibly ever (correct me if I'm wrong).

We could arguably go all the way up to Derby in 8th (who are contesting for the play-offs) when we talk about possible relegation candidates, but lets just leave it to those teams within 5 points of the relegation zone -
    11 Birmingham 40 -6 52
    12 Leeds Unite 40 -9 52
    13 Burnley 40 -1 51
    14 Millwall 38 -5 51
    15 Blackpool 40 2 50
    16 Charlton 39 -5 50
    17 Ipswich 40 -16 50
    18 Wolves 40 -7 48
    19 Blackburn 39 -6 47
    20 Barnsley 39 -10 47
    21 Sheff Wed 39 -10 47
    22 Huddersfiel 39 -25 47
    23 Peterborou 39 -8 45
    24 Bristol City 40 -16 40

Bristol City are not looking good but for the other 2 places it could be anyone.

Due to the sheer volume of teams down there and the fact that McCarthy has been able to grind out home wins, I would imagine Ipswich will be safe, but who knows.

Could lead to an epic final day battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Morzadec wrote: »
    Decent away point for Ipswich tonight, but results went against them in other games with Wolves, Barnsley and Blackpool all winning.

It means that despite their excellent run and a points tally (50) that should see them safe at this stage of the season (the Championship's version of the 'safe' 40 point mark of the Premier League would be no more than 50 points if you take the same ppg average) they are still firmly embroiled in a relegation battle.

It really is a fascinating battle down there, and it must be the closest and highest points tally battle for years, and possibly ever (correct me if I'm wrong).

We could arguably go all the way up to Derby in 8th (who are contesting for the play-offs) when we talk about possible relegation candidates, but lets just leave it to those teams within 5 points of the relegation zone -

Bristol City are not looking good but for the other 2 places it could be anyone.

Due to the sheer volume of teams down there and the fact that McCarthy has been able to grind out home wins, I would imagine Ipswich will be safe, but who knows.

Could lead to an epic final day battle.
    Bristol City aside, what any of those clubs would do for a couple of wins on the bounce!!

League 2 is pretty much the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Bristol City aside, what any of those clubs would do for a couple of wins on the bounce!!

League 2 is pretty much the same.

I'd say Bristol City would take the two wins too tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Incredible distribution of points tbh. Hard to believe you could be 11th after 40 games and still have an eye on getting some points in to ensure safety.

That said, Birmingham or Leeds could possibly take zero points from their remaining games and still stay up.

Ipswich beats Derby away, now 14th on 53 points and with five games left they could* reach the play offs! :pac:

*obviously not saying they will!

Since Mick McCarthy took over Ipswich on Nov 1st they have won 13 and drawn 7 and lost 8 games dragging the side from bottom to 14th. Averaging 1.64 PPG which is the 4th highest, only Watford, Hull and Cardiff ahead. Interesting that they have done that while being just +1 g/d, Watford by contrast are + 29

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Ipswich beats Derby away, now 14th on 53 points and with five games left they could* reach the play offs! :pac:

*obviously not saying they will!

Since Mick McCarthy took over Ipswich on Nov 1st they have won 13 and drawn 7 and lost 8 games dragging the side from bottom to 14th. Averaging 1.64 PPG which is the 4th highest, only Watford, Hull and Cardiff ahead. Interesting that they have done that while being just +1 g/d, Watford by contrast are + 29

Great stuff! That should be them safe now hopefully.

Let's see if they can push on next year and maybe nab a playoff spot

Just a very solid manager. Has achieved something everywhere he's been since taking the Ireland job way back in 1996. Has a ceiling obviously, but so what? Doesn't hurt that he seems a genuinely decent man who never hides from bad results.

as a ipswich fan i have to say mick has done exceptionally well with a quite limited group of players. he targeted defence, stopped the rot in terms of leaking goals and the team has now conceded just a solitary goal in their last eight games.

the midfield is very poor at the moment and strikers hit and miss. McGoldrick can no longer play for us this season as his lone spell is up but seems to want to sign full time for next season. I'd be very happy to get Henderson in goals full time.

but midfield is where we need real improvements. just hope Mick (and Terry Connor) can identify the right candidates. we will be limited in terms of finances no doubt but staying in the championship was target from the outset for Mick & Tel and with just 7pts after 13 games when they took over, they have done very well. still a mad league of course and we're not safe yet.

• Advertisement

Ipswich 3 - 0 Crystal Palace

and that bumps McCarthys side up to 13th!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Ipswich 3 - 0 Crystal Palace

and that bumps McCarthys side up to 13th!

We want Holloway back in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Should now be safe barring a complete disaster.

Should now be safe barring a complete disaster.

the last 3 games are:

Sheff Weds (A)

Brum City (H)

Burnley (A)

so 2 aways yet, Sheff Weds a big game and a deffo cannot lose game. A draw out of that and a win from 1 of the other 2.

49 points from 30 games in charge. Not bad given what he had to start with. Not bad at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement