Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCarthy takes Ipswich job

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

who_ru wrote: »
    the last 3 games are:

Sheff Weds (A)

Brum City (H)

Burnley (A)

so 2 aways yet, Sheff Weds a big game and a deffo cannot lose game. A draw out of that and a win from 1 of the other 2.

You are ahead of so many other teams that I think even losing all 3 games you are safe.

I think you can already breathe easy.

Do you think you can make a push for the playoffs next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

At this stage they're safe.

It would take some set of results to go against them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Mick McCarthy is a constantly improving manager and will get Ipswich promoted (or run very close) next season.

Hope he gets the Ireland job again some day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Another 3pts for Ipswich tonight, biggest crowd in years, 26,000 at a home game. In a little over 2 years mick McCarthy has taken ITFC from bottom of the championship to the automatic promotion spots. Incredible performance. And with little or no money. All free transfers and bosmans.

Daryl Murphy, 17 goals in 22 appearances, at the age of 31. Who could possibly have predicted that?

I know it's still 2014, but mick has done something almost impossible at Town. He has made a success starved club believe for the first time in over a decade that we can make a genuine real promotion push.

And Bournemouth in 1st place. Well done Eddie Howe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Really hope he takes Ipswich. Fantastic manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Long long way to go. Doing well though, very hard to say who will go up.

Notts Forest started off great and then collapsed. Derby took control and then fell off a bit. Great league.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Long long way to go. Doing well though, very hard to say who will go up.

Notts Forest started off great and then collapsed. Derby took control and then fell off a bit. Great league.

Next league game is at home to Derby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Great job by Mick. I always had a lot of time for him as a manager. I'd love to see him take Ipswich up.

I saw a comment on here the other day that said he was a Championship manager at best. Couldn't write back as I was on my phone but I'll take this opportunity to give my view.

He's definitely proven that he knows how to work his way out of the Championship but I think now he has plenty of experience at Premiership level. His first go was disatrous but IIRC he had very little to spend. He did well enough to keep Wolves up in the first two seasons. The third one was a disaster but I think Wolves were wrong to sack him and it took them a while to recover from that decision.

If they go up, it'll be more of the same. I can't see Ipswich spending big but I think Mick has enough experience at this stage to make a good fist of it.

Also, the big news there is the job Eddie Howe is doing at Bournemouth. It seems like there's no stopping them under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's definitely proven that he knows how to work his way out of the Championship but I think now he has plenty of experience at Premiership level. .

Neil Warnock has had a few bites at the PL too......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mc Carthy is a very decent manager and a great person too.
    He never ran away from any team either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ipswich have some weird rule about transfer fees ie they dont like paying them.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/football-transfers/ipswich-town-transfers.html

As you can see they really dont like paying fees 2 in the last 2 years, makes that some achievement if he gets them up. Mick would also have known this policy so fair play to him.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ipswich have some weird rule about transfer fees ie they dont like paying them.

The club got stung badly by Roy Keane who spent a far whack on transfers and particularly on wages. The club is £80m in debt, owed to owner Marcus Evans, who has dipped his hand in his pocket to the tune of about £20m since he took over In 2007. I think he might give mick a few quid this transfer window.

But what mick + ITFC have shown, is that you don't need to throw money all over the place in order to get a group of players together, get them motivated and hungry for success. All of which is anathema to the premier league model whereby the answer to bad coaching is more spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

who_ru wrote: »
    The club got stung badly by Roy Keane who spent a far whack on transfers and particularly on wages.

Keane signed the cheques did he? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Keane signed the cheques did he? :rolleyes:

No but he signed bad players. The spending money thing isn't necessarily an issue if you spend it well on players that improve the team's position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

CSF wrote: »
    No but he signed bad players. The spending money thing isn't necessarily an issue if you spend it well on players that improve the team's position.

fair enough, but the board still sanctioned the spend that would ultimately lead to the bad situation. It's not Keane's fault the board said yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I've great time for him. His one real embarrassment was that season with Sunderland in the premiership but apart from that he has done well. I enjoyed seeing Wolves fans suffer the misery of 2 consecutive relegations after the hard time they gave him to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

fair enough, but the board still sanctioned the spend that would ultimately lead to the bad situation. It's not Keane's fault the board said yes.

It's not. But I think boards have to take some element of risk in the transfer market, but not so much that a complete failure would hinder the long-term future of the club, which to the best of my knowledge isn't the case with Ipswich.

They're just having to not spend now with a good manager, because they spent under a bad manager who gave no return on investment which would allow for future spending.

If we were talking about Ipswich's ability to function as a club here, then I would 100% agree, that the board would be at fault for gambling the club's future. Right now though it seems their biggest mistake was appointing Keane.

Advertisement