Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxback Query from a Rookie

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys

I was in Oz on a WHV from June 2011-March 2012 and was working the whole time I was there (two different jobs as a health professional). I'm now back home in Ireland and am looking to claim my tax back. I have received my PAYG summaries from both employers so I think I'm ready to go!

After having a look around here, I see most people advocate filing their own tax return, which I'm happy to do. I have read something about some software you need to do this...can you use this if you are filing your first and only return?

Many thanks in Advance

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Did you work in June 2011?

This is very important because even if you worked only one day, you'll need to fill in two tax returns as the tax year runs 1 July - 30 June every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

Well my payment summary from my first job states I was paid from July 1st 2011...so think that employer may have saved me the hassle of two returns.

So looks like I will only have to file from July 1st 2011-March 26th 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Cool well then download the etax programme from ATO.gov.au and knock yourself out.

Don't forget to claim for stuff like the medicare levy and any other expenses you may have incurred as a healthcare professional like uniform etc.

Actually, I've just checked the date and as it's 1 Nov, you may be too late to do it online as deadline is 31 Oct...sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

Eeek no!! I only got my PAYG summary emailed to me yesterday from NSW Health so it was out of my hands!! Hopefully there is some way I can submit a late application

Thanks a mil for all your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

LittleT wrote: »
    Eeek no!! I only got my PAYG summary emailed to me yesterday from NSW Health so it was out of my hands!! Hopefully there is some way I can submit a late application

Thanks a mil for all your advice!

If you can't submit it online, you can still use the etax software and then print it put and send it in. See here...http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/40379.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement