Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert HL Maths

• 01-11-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

TEACHING HL MATHS 6TH YEARS:

Can someone give me an outline of the papers and what needs to be covered? I'm using Active Maths (book 1&2). Do I need to cover the whole course or are there options?

I've inherited a 6th yr hons maths group and I haven't taught the honours before. It's been a long time since my own LC maths!

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

TEACHING HL MATHS 6TH YEARS:

Can someone give me an outline of the papers and what needs to be covered? I'm using Active Maths (book 1&2). Do I need to cover the whole course or are there options?

I've inherited a 6th yr hons maths group and I haven't taught the honours before. It's been a long time since my own LC maths!

Any help appreciated!

You need to get the syllabus. www.projectmaths.ie Make sure to to get the syllabus for June 2013 as each year has a different syllabus at the moment. Use that to decide what is to be covered, rather than rely on the text book. With Project maths being so new the text books haven't always got it right. There is no choice as such other than between two geometry questions, must do one of them. The exam papers with sample papers for this June should be published during November.
    Good luck to your students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Same thing happened to me last year. Would suggest you look through the contents and ask the kids what chapters they did and get a general gist of how they feel about different sections - it will help your planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 butterfly80

Thanks folks. I'm just trying to get my head around it over mid term. The lack of exam papers is annoying as I would love to dive into those so I could get a feel for what I am preparing them for. I'll have a look at the syllabus and go from there. I've put together a rough scheme for what's left to cover. There is a lot. It will take me up until the end of April. Does this sound too late? When should you expect to finish the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It's a long course. My OL class didn't finish until the end of April last year. There are papers on examinations.ie that you can look at though bear in mind the layout of yours will be slightly different.

Can I emphasise how important problem solving is in this course. You need to develop their ability to work on a problem without much scaffolding for them to do well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

+1 to problem solving. There is a document on the Project Maths website with a load of questions to be solved, plenty of pictures and multiple approaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

You must make this class your prioity this year. The book is not the syllabus. Go through the syllabus and be sure you have everything covered.

If you have any queries about what is on the syllabus contact the NCCA.

The exam papers are similiar to phase 2 of the project schools. They are the pojectsmaths.ie site. There will basically be no choice on paper 2. Everything must be covered.

You mentioned that it was a long time since LC Maths for you...have you taught Maths yet? Or did you mean that was the last time you saw the HL content?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 butterfly80

I'm 3 years out of my dip (completed as mature-ish student) and this is my first HL group. I've had OL groups for leaving cert every year since I finished. So I just want to do this right - I have one student in particular aiming for an A. I need to get a better handle on the overall structure and quirks of the course.

Advertisement