Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail to Gmail.

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Trying to forward all my mail from hotmail to gmail permanently with no success. I have free hotmail with years but now want to transfer all my old incoming mail to my new gmail account so i only have one account to access. Can anybody help?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moving to Computers & Technology Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Hi have you had a look at this, seems straight forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

How to Forward Windows Live Hotmail to Gmail.

If you change your Hotmail.com to an Outlook.com account, you can forward all new messages with a simple message rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Thanks for the help, my m8 in Tassie recommended installing Thunderbird from Mozilla which i did. I just entered both my old hotmail account and my new gmail account and now i can look at both through Thunderbird. Also Thunderbird alerts me to when i get a new mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

A local email client somehow defeats the purpose of webmail services like Hotmail and Gmail, but if it suits your needs, why not. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I've done this by using an email manager such as Mozilla's Thunderbird, log in to both emails by setting up the accounts and simply just dragging all the emails from one account to the other, though you may still have to verify that all emails have been forwarded to the email account you want

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Torqay i would normally agree however i have had hotmail since Windows 98 was all the rage and in the last year switched to Gmail simply because its GUI is better and it is more reliable for opening up attachments such as pictures or large documents.

As a result all my old ebay contacts are still using my hotmail account so rather than trying to figure out who i need to write to and give a new gmail address i simply wanted to forward hotmail to my gmail account.

Because i have the free version of hotmail i am unable to do this and this is why my m8 recommended using Thunderbird since it achieved the same effect in that all my mail is now open in the one client.:D

Advertisement