Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a 2nd dog...

• 01-11-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

I have an 11 month old Golden Labrador (Belle). She is great very playful and loves people. I am considering getting another dog as a companion for her and I really want to get a German Shepherd.

Belle gets on well with other dogs and is full of energy. Space inst an issue for the two dogs.

Is this a good or bad idea? Anyone who has these 2 breeds of dog i would appreciate your advice.

Should I get a male / female German Shepherdas I've heard having two female dogs can be an issue.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I have 2 GSDs (Male and Female), an English Setter (Female) and a JRT (Male) and have no issues with them - once the GSD is introduced properly to Belle and once you have time to look after 2 big dogs it shouldn be an issue! GSDs require a lot of excersise and are very smart and generally need to mentally excersised too, so generally doin an obedience routine every day or games like hide and seek with a toy keep them happy otherwise they can get restless and destructive! if you do decide to go male/female i would recommend spay/nueter one or both of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Two females or two males in the one household can sometimes be an issue, especially if they're too close in age. There's no clear older one to lay down the law if one tries to be 'top dog' or even to retire gracefully and let the other strut their stuff when challenged. So I would get a male, if it were me.

I don't know if you've had GSD's before and perhaps this is something you're already well aware of, but like gregers said, a GSD needs a lot of exercise and training. So while the GSD might be a companion for Belle, what you're really going to end up with is another companion for yourself because they need to be directed and given structure and rules. And they pick on one person in the family to be their One and Only. While they are perfectly fond of the others in the family and are quite willing to hang out with them, it is the One and Only they keep an eye out for at all times in order to be reassured that all is well with their world. Without that, they can get destructive and in some cases unmanageable.

We had a GSD years ago. Fantastic dog, she was my Dad's shadow. If Belle is as friendly as you say, there shouldn't be a problem if both are introduced properly and the GSD is given the attention and work it needs.

And if you do get one, be sure to post pictures of the new dog and Belle!! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭duffman21

Thanks for the replies guys.

Advertisement