Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2013

19596979899101»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭upnorthchick

myshirt wrote: »
    Upnorthchick, good to see you back on the horse.

I am repeating the lot, though fell down on BL. My aim is to pass the mocks. And obviously the real thing after it.

I'll be doing less block release study, maybe 4 weeks; and forgetting about the open book to be honest. I'm useless in organising my notes.

one last hurrah for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JoanH

Hi everyone. I'm looking to scrounge the AAFRP paper and solotion from last year of somebody. I'm a repeater.....NC in AAFRP so you guys can see why I'm repeating. I know it's in the toolkit but I didn't get any new books and I'm not giving the institute one more cent (apart from the resit fee obviously...which is already very hefty) Anyway, if somebody could post up the 2013 paper I would be forever in your debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Lol2013

Ahh guys. How are ye all doing. Upnorthchick how are you. I miss this forum. Hope all of you who are repeating get good news this year. And I really do admire you cos I wouldn't have been able for it again if I had failed. I will be praying for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Can I ask any of you guys for advice on how you all prepared for the exams last year? ie how did you go about setting up folders or the things you found best to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 johnnybegood

Can I ask any of you guys for advice on how you all prepared for the exams last year? ie how did you go about setting up folders or the things you found best to do.

Some things I found that helped.

1. Go to as many lectures as you can. 100% if possible. This way you are in tune with every note handed out. Tabbing of books can begin from day one and you start to gain confidence as the weeks go by. This is a must. There is a sort of perception particularly in years gone by, that lectures were just not important. They are. Go to all of them, even ones you hear "were'nt that great". Make that decision yourself. Go to Block Release, use it. Do some cases. Get some folders up and running.

2. Audit Elective. Do not miss a lecture for this if you are doing it. Go to the induction sessions where (hopefully) Sean Murray will disect the APB and this will allow you to become comfortable with this book and also start tabbing it as you go. This is priceless come exam time.

3. Set up a dropbox. Mirror this with ALL of the content that goes online on a weekly basis and do not miss one handout. Do this week by week as it becomes difficult as the weeks go by. Have your notes arranged folder by folder and print everything as you go along. Start this early.

4. If you are one of the lucky ones who get vast amounts of study leave and find it difficult to hit the ground running, get a password etc from a friend and watch as many online lectures as you can. I did this for the audit elective and found that Sean Murray and John Ryan lectures online for both CAP2 and FAE Elective and Core were seriously useful.

5. Be tough on yourself in terms of the amounts of notes you retain from CAP2. Do not hoard folders around because you might feel guilty if you discard them! Only maybe 10-20% of your notes from CAP2 are useful. Dave O Donoghue went through this with us a lot. The Monaghan fella also. As exam time approaches you should really be able to tell exactly where each case/note/standard is in which folder. This saves so much time in the exam.

6. There are a lot of index examples online, people sharing them etc too. I actually printed one from a friend....BUT go through this with a fine tooth comb and change/alter anything that needs to be. Someone else's short-hand is no good to you. The detailed indices are always handy. But be comfortable with the one you end up using.

7. Organising folders is very personal and hard to give advice on. I spoke to a good friend that passed and took pointers from that. If you go to the lectures and keep in touch with all that is going on, they begin to take their own shape as the year goes on.

That is all I can think of right now. I'm not preaching, I failed my Elective but got my core. Got the elective in the latest sitting. So I know both sides of the divide.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

Did you pass?

definitely over the weekend I am booking the courses, ordering books and getting sorted for starting in February .

any ideas which of them I could miss?

obviously Tax I will need to sort from the north aspect.

Sorry for the delayed response!

Yeah i passed, went from the being in 6th decile (or whatever its called) to the 1st.

I would only do 1 of the Financial reporting -either the assesement or the one in the summer, both notes are more or less the same.

The business leadership was good but thought it was repeated a bit in the case study day, so you could probably get by in just doing the case study day.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

JoanH wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm looking to scrounge the AAFRP paper and solotion from last year of somebody. I'm a repeater.....NC in AAFRP so you guys can see why I'm repeating. I know it's in the toolkit but I didn't get any new books and I'm not giving the institute one more cent (apart from the resit fee obviously...which is already very hefty) Anyway, if somebody could post up the 2013 paper I would be forever in your debt!

Here you go scrounger:D

Better luck in the repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JoanH

Thanks Conor1979. You're a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭searunner

JoanH wrote: »
    Thanks Conor1979. You're a star.

Here is the June one

• Advertisement

searunner wrote: »
    Here is the June one

and solution

Best of luck with the study,

Having passed on my 3rd attempt i know how it feels.

Keep the faith and work hard guys

costacurta wrote: »
    Sorry for the delayed response!

Yeah i passed, went from the being in 6th decile (or whatever its called) to the 1st.

I would only do 1 of the Financial reporting -either the assesement or the one in the summer, both notes are more or less the same.

The business leadership was good but thought it was repeated a bit in the case study day, so you could probably get by in just doing the case study day.

hey thank you you are a star!
    congrats on passing, I have yet to send in my repeat form! still undecided !! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

This Friday is the deadline for repeaters forms AFAIK mates

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Can't believe this sarturday is the start of it again!

In one way i'm glad to be getting stuck into it now!

Aww for gods sake!

I am not doing the revision course

gonna do CGS and my own work...

swear the thoughts !!

need to do that form !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 CHARTEREDEXAMS

Hey guys,

Repeating the Core in September.

I'm carrying an NC for the AAFRP assessment last year. I'm guessing a wise option would be to repeat this in April and try and get a C/HC?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

Hey guys,

I'm carrying an NC for the AAFRP assessment last year. I'm guessing a wise option would be to repeat this in April and try and get a C/HC?

Yes def, need to give yourself as much of a chance as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

Anyone from last year got good notes for the tax elective?

Doing tax elective too. Could be a disaster as I dont really have a clue of tax even just for core!

Doing tax elective too. Could be a disaster as I dont really have a clue of tax even just for core!

It is early yet dont worry, you will be fine. At this stage it all about getting in a routine & organising your notes.:)

• Advertisement

Cheers for that ACA2801, what way did you organise your notes?

I cant seem to send the form off never mind start sorting notes!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Hey guys,

absolutely crazy decision not to do it

Right I got the form away and few books ordered! life as I know it for 2014!!

Anyone heading to that careers meeting thing on up in pearse st tonight? Just wondering if its a waste of a journey!!! :)

Anyone heading to that careers meeting thing on up in pearse st tonight? Just wondering if its a waste of a journey!!! :)

Hey did you go to this?

aca2801 wrote: »
    Hey did you go to this?

Yeah I found it good! Did you go to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Folks,

For all the repeat/elevation students, how much time off are you planning on taking for the exams in September 2014?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

Can anyone remember what their salary was when you passed your CAP 2 exams and were preparing to sit your FAE'S. Did you get a wages increase at that point?

Hi.

I was just wondering anyone who did the tax elective last yr attend de cgs and If you passed wud u mind if I got dese notes from you. I know there be some differences for 2014 exam but I will take that into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Suz711

Hey would anyone have a copy of the timetable? Just need to check something Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joy19861981

Hi Guys, does someones have the 2013 APM Grind Shcool Notes for sale?

Really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stopthelights

Hi

Just wondering has anyone sat their FAEs in Athlone? Is it ok - ie. is the venue quiet and tables big enough etc.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Lol2013

Hi

Just wondering has anyone sat their FAEs in Athlone? Is it ok - ie. is the venue quiet and tables big enough etc.

thanks in advance

Ya i did mine in Athlone, I'd say there was about 25 people there tops. We did it in one of the rooms above the new racing track they have in there

Its super quiet and you can use as many tables and chairs as you want.

The invigilators were really nice too.. I remember talking to them about how awful the exams were and they were really encouraging

I'm not sure if it is the same invigilators every year tho

Advertisement