Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Whemair0128

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering is there any other audit lecturer besides seam m for the dublin groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fae2013

Could people please post up their FAE timetable for Dublin. Going to miss a few of the integrated case workshops on my timetable as have other plans, so want to check if suits me to go to a different groups case workshops.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Hi folks,

Repeating the Elective and was wondering can anyone tell me is the attached timetable up to date as far as the Cork Audit Elective dates are concerned?? And if not, could someone post an updated one? Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

BadCompany wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Repeating the Elective and was wondering can anyone tell me is the attached timetable up to date as far as the Cork Audit Elective dates are concerned?? And if not, could someone post an updated one? Thanks a million.

Sorry can't help you with your query as I'm not part of the Cork group but if you have a copy of the Cork CORE timetable, would you mind posting it?

If not, no worries. Hope someone can post the elective timetable for you.

Thanks,

Womandriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Colzers

MoMo1987 wrote: »
    I am also all ears if there is any helpful advise going Pat

Would be welcome to any advice going PatACA:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Josie30

Colzers wrote: »
    Would be welcome to any advice going PatACA:)

Would welcome any advice PatACA thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭AB6891

Hi,

Is anybody attending the audit elective revision day in Dublin on Sunday?

Just wondering what notes people are bringing.

Cheers.

Do people see any use in having a thread for fae repeat students or will topics, notes, ideas etc be better shared here?

Best of luck to all this year.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Have been working through the Current Issues case study in Derry Cotter's FR Standards book.

In the requirement on page 26 you are told the group's WACC is 8%, 12% pre-tax.

Also, part "J" of question, Just above Requirement on page 26 mentions Group's PBT is €850K for y/e 31/12/x5.

Are these figures relevant to the answer? I can't see any reference to them in the solution (I don't think so anyway but there's so many parts to case I may have missed them:()

Has anybody else made any reference to PBT or WACC in their solution?

Do you show a net effect of all the adjustments at end of solution? It's not done in solution book so I'm not sure if it'd be expected.

Thanks in advance if you can shed any light.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭so_bored.com

Hi, Just wondering if anyone is doing the FAE Revision course for the core? Does anyone know if the revision classes for Business Leadership this weekend are being streamed? I'm from up north, not sure whether to make the journey down to Dublin but don't want to miss anything either?!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WeeDeee

Hi, Just wondering if anyone is doing the FAE Revision course for the core? Does anyone know if the revision classes for Business Leadership this weekend are being streamed? I'm from up north, not sure whether to make the journey down to Dublin but don't want to miss anything either?!

Thanks

I'm in same situation, they streamed the AAFRP lecture last weekend so hopefully they will do the same this weekend, but I don't know for sure

I've just had a look on the Student Portal, there seems to be recorded sessions up online for those Business Leadership lectures already, it must be from when the main FAE class had the lectures?

Yea thats right, the streamed revision lectures should appear within course material, if you scroll to near the end of it you will see the AAFRP Session and the Exam Review Session

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

One thing I'll not miss if I pass FAE's this year is how inept the institute is.
    A monday evening lecture and they only decide to tell us to bring specific material at 2pm on the day.
    I suppose we were all supposed to pop home first and then head back into town for 6.30.
    I don't think they could organise a p**s up in a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lclohessy

Hi everyone,

I am looking for someones login student number and password for FAE and auditing elective so i can get the notes for this year. I think with all the updates the new material will be essential to my study.

I am resitting this years exam after failing 2 years in a row on Business leaderhip. Just need the extra help. Thanks

Did anyone get the solution to the Charities Professional Fundraising case for the core revision assignment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

Hi was just wondering has everyone recieved their reports back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 whopper buzz

I emailed last week about it, they said that my request for the tutorial report was never received even though they sent me a receipt for it in December and took the money out of my account then!! Get the impression you should well have it by now, would ring them to make sure that it is being processed if you don’t have it yet!

Hi,

I was just wondering that for those repeating, are you going to get the updated titles for the following:

Cases in IFRS Cotter 3rd Edition (I have 2nd)
    2012/2013 Tax Book
    Corporate Strategy, 2nd Edition Gallagher (I have 1st)

Any replies are much appreciated, hopefully bye bye finally to FAE in 2013!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Tricky1979

Started a few practice questions out of the Toolkit today and a huge fright! Its much more detailed than I expected..... Had doing some good revision in terms of Derry Cotter notes and book. Anybody feeling like this re AAFRP?

AB6891 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering that for those repeating, are you going to get the updated titles for the following:

Cases in IFRS Cotter 3rd Edition (I have 2nd)
    2012/2013 Tax Book
    Corporate Strategy, 2nd Edition Gallagher (I have 1st)

Any replies are much appreciated, hopefully bye bye finally to FAE in 2013!

Yes I bought them all but the Strategy book

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mickmclaughin

Hi All,

Apparently there are some good disclosure notes for AAFRP that the Chartered Grind School provided, would anyone have a copy of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lclohessy

lclohessy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for someones login student number and password for FAE and auditing elective so i can get the notes for this year. I think with all the updates the new material will be essential to my study.

I am resitting this years exam after failing 2 years in a row on Business leaderhip. Just need the extra help. Thanks

Can anyone PM me it would really help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Whemair0128

Hi, Does anyone know if session 3 & 4 of mgt accounting is still on this Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 accgeek

Hi does anyone have a copy of the 2013 FAE Belfast course timetable? Need to attend tax lectures again...many thanks

• Advertisement

Hey, anyone on the FAE revision course going to the FR class this Sunday?
    What books/ notes etc are you bringing with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

AAFRP Sample Paper 1&2, last year's AAFRP Paper, the toolkit, the case study books, the standards. Fun times this weekend :). Hopefully it'll be worthwhile. I'm hoping he'll do a few questions in class and that he won't be just reading paragraphs from the standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

Is there any chance some good kind generous person could upload the FR notes if possible? If there are Derry Cotter notes like last year it would be greatly appreciated:)

http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/en/Student-Information/Courses/Course-Timetables/

The induction notes for FR are available on the website, not sure there are any other notes

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭walshing

What are people's take on the reduction of the sim paper changing from three case study's to two? will it be harder or easier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

walshing wrote: »
    What are people's take on the reduction of the sim paper changing from three case study's to two? will it be harder or easier?

The standard required to get RC will go up imo but time management should be a lot easier.

An Citeog wrote: »

The standard required to get RC will go up imo but time management should be a lot easier.

Agreed time management will be easier but if its the same number of indicators then surely the detail required to get to rc shouldn't be too much higher?

ted2767 wrote: »
    Agreed time management will be easier but if its the same number of indicators then surely the detail required to get to rc shouldn't be too much higher?

Ya i think it will be harder to get rc as you have to show more knowledge in less indicators! also think the institute will be expecting a higher standard no with the reduction to two!

did everyone get that email about the business leadership case study day, bit of a waste of time if you ask me, meeting up and preparing a presentation on a indicator!:eek:

walshing wrote: »
    did everyone get that email about the business leadership case study day, bit of a waste of time if you ask me, meeting up and preparing a presentation on a indicator!:eek:

What do you expect from them?

Sorry to be negative but the institute are absolutely incompetent in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

The reasoning behind switching to 2 Sim papers according to the institute is,
    The FAE Board has noted that candidates who demonstrate evidence of planning in their approach to case studies (planning notes etc.) invariably provide better, more reasoned, responses. By presenting two cases, instead of three, the FAE Board aims to provide candidates with more planning time (with the objective of receiving candidate responses which demonstrate greater depth of thought).

There's likely to be 1-2 (or possibly more) indicators less on the second day because according to the link above, there'll still only be 3-5 indicators per Sim and you also won't have to spend time reading another case. If the board are aiming to get more in depth answers and the required standard in audit, tax, IMP and finance is RC overall, it'll definitely take more to get RC this year compared to the last 3.

Also, given that the pass rate for core last year was already around the 75% mark, I doubt they'd want too big a jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ecos88

What do you expect from them?

Sorry to be negative but the institute are absolutely incompetent in my opinion.

Is that just for lectures in Dublin?
    But yeah totally agree, would be better off staying at home and studying for AAFRP for the day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Jamesw2

Could someone please attach any revision notes they have received to date. Thanks. Cant afford revision course.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭lexluthor

can someone please let me know where is the exam center in Cork? need to book hotels nearby as coming from abroad to sit for the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Clarise123

Hi,
    I have a question Re: the AAFRP Exam on 27th April. Is consolidation examined and entries for Subsidiaries, Associates and Joint Ventures etc.. I don't want to spend time on this area if is unlikely questions will come up in this area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Jamesw2

Yes. Consolidation is examinable and does come up. Good practice questions in CGS pack. Does anyone have revision notes that they will post up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aca student

is this CGS pack specific to AAFRP? can anyone upload it?

is this CGS pack specific to AAFRP? can anyone upload it?

Its a book containing a summary of the IAS/IFRSs and disclosures

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aca student

Jamesw2 wrote: »
    Yes. Consolidation is examinable and does come up. Good practice questions in CGS pack. Does anyone have revision notes that they will post up?

I have the CGS disclosures book, just wondering where you got the practice questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benjyc

Hi I just wanted to check are the notes for ROI in any order on the website or they as all over the place as ours in NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

The question pack they gave out at CGS contained no solutions :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Anybody have any experience/thoughts about the CGS summer revision courses?

I won't be doing all 7 due to the cost but might do 3 or 4 as I'll have travel and accommodation costs to add on!

Are these worth the investment? Are the materials given a top standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lis9

Anybody have any experience/thoughts about the CGS summer revision courses?

I won't be doing all 7 due to the cost but might do 3 or 4 as I'll have travel and accommodation costs to add on!

Are these worth the investment? Are the materials given a top standard?

I found CGS good for overall revision of the individual subject areas if that's what you're lacking.

But not great in terms of approaches to answering Case Studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Could have done with having that AAFRP Workshop a couple of months ago rather than 3 weeks before the exam.:rolleyes:

Derry Cotter admitted he would struggle to do one of last year's section 1
    Q's in 15 nevermind the 8 that we are expected to have it done in. Hope institute have a bit of cop on for this years exam.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't bet on it to be honest.

Advertisement