Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAE September 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭searunner

ferike1 wrote: »
    Did a few questions from the acca papers on the main acca website. Strategy/mgmt accounting. Don't know how helpful they were in the end! The deloitte notes are pretty much all you need.

Could you tell me are the Deloitte notes the same notes which have been posted by the person who placed in the FAE a few sittings ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Lol2013

searunner wrote: »
    Could you tell me are the Deloitte notes the same notes which have been posted by the person who placed in the FAE a few sittings ago?

No they are not..but if you ask ferike he'll give them to you

lexluthor wrote: »
    would anybody spend time on cap2 audit papers in prep for Fae's (assuming u don't consider auditing as one of ur areas of strength?)

Personally I wouldnt only if I am stuck for questions. But one of the lecturers (muireann I think) said they are good to do, they are akin to driving a bike with stabilisers. Her words not mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Jamesw2

I have these notes saved from last year on my PC. Not sure who wrote them tho! More to come

More as promised

More again

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Clarise123

Lol2013 wrote: »
    I thought it was all right. Better than sitting there waiting for the lecturer to tell you the answer. We also had a brilliant lecturer which made it bearable

How many groups did she get through? I might attend the Wednesday night one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭lexluthor

MoMo1987 wrote: »
    Lexluthor

This is in response to the list of cases you uploaded earlier in this thread. Do you have a hard copy of these cases? I can only find the ones uploaded to this thread and obviously the past papers.

Also, are you planning on completing all the 2010 cases? Paul Monaghan had said in one of our casework classes that the FAE has moved on significantly from the 2010 papers and that they may not be sufficient anymore.

Thanks

tell me which ones u aint got.. and i'll try to dig em up

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

No they are not..but if you ask ferike he'll give them to you

I thought the Deloitte notes were the same as the "guy who came first", no!??

I think I have the guy who came first or maybe its the Deloittes ones I have...confused now.

Are both available on this thread?

Joziburg wrote: »
    I thought the Deloitte notes were the same as the "guy who came first", no!??

I think I have the guy who came first or maybe its the Deloittes ones I have...confused now.

Are both available on this thread?

I don't know about first...but jamesw2 just posted the notes(if you scroll up) chursy said some guy who got placed made up. The one ferike gave me (I think they are the Deloitte notes) I can post later on tonight

• Advertisement

Does anyone have notes on examples/proforma of reports, and introduction, exec summaries, and notes on caveats etc for the FAE. Also does anyone have good concise notes on AAA Elective esp when it comes to audit reports

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

do any of the notes have elective material in them?

Clarise123 wrote: »
    How many groups did she get through? I might attend the Wednesday night one.

Thanks

It was a he. He did all of flexiTools and 2 indicators from HFSIL. wE ARE doing the rest this evening. Are you not presentin??

I don't know about first...but jamesw2 just posted the notes(if you scroll up) chursy said some guy who got placed made up. The one ferike gave me (I think they are the Deloitte notes) I can post later on tonight

That would be great if you could post them.

Thanks

Thanks

All are now compressed in a folder. Best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 brick1234

hi.. yes i definitely agree with Paul that FAE has moved on from 2010 cases.. however, being a repeater and having done those cases previously and familiar with content in those cases, i am convinced the solutions are very concise and usable in exam situation therefore i wont ignore them.. but what im doing is basically, as you might've seen in the list of cases i posted, im dividing the list in "practice cases" and "attempt cases".. with regards to the practice cases which will be most of 2010 and some from 2011, what i intend to do is read the case quickly, have a quick think about it, go to solutions, pick up main points usable in exam and make notes of them.. i intend to do 1 practice case per day spend max 1.5 hr on it.. in july then i will do my "attempt cases" with proper timing and in exam situation style.. "attempt cases" would include all 2013 cases and 80% 2012 cases..
    you know have a look at this document im posting, its all extracted from 2010 case solutions, it's raw but usable in exam situation i believe..
    all above is basically just a plan of intentions really.. one has to be flexible i guess so we'll see how june goes and whether there's a need to re-plan

Just wondering if you have a list of what cases are 10/11, what are 11/12 and 12/13 etc? think they have all been updated to reflect the 12/13 year? i think your idea is spot on the money as Paul mentioned that most recent cases would be more beneficial but again no gurantee with anything.

brick1234 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you have a list of what cases are 10/11, what are 11/12 and 12/13 etc? think they have all been updated to reflect the 12/13 year? i think your idea is spot on the money as Paul mentioned that most recent cases would be more beneficial but again no gurantee with anything.

hi, if u have a look at the list of cases I posted earlier in this thread..its all in there.. I might post an updated list later tonight that shows which cases have dropped off this year

what do people think is the most efficient and effective way of doing derry cotter's fr cases book? standard by standard using index at end of book or case by case? how do u record learning points in each case?

• Advertisement

hi.. yes i definitely agree with Paul that FAE has moved on from 2010 cases.. however, being a repeater and having done those cases previously and familiar with content in those cases, i am convinced the solutions are very concise and usable in exam situation therefore i wont ignore them.. but what im doing is basically, as you might've seen in the list of cases i posted, im dividing the list in "practice cases" and "attempt cases".. with regards to the practice cases which will be most of 2010 and some from 2011, what i intend to do is read the case quickly, have a quick think about it, go to solutions, pick up main points usable in exam and make notes of them.. i intend to do 1 practice case per day spend max 1.5 hr on it.. in july then i will do my "attempt cases" with proper timing and in exam situation style.. "attempt cases" would include all 2013 cases and 80% 2012 cases..
    you know have a look at this document im posting, its all extracted from 2010 case solutions, it's raw but usable in exam situation i believe..
    all above is basically just a plan of intentions really.. one has to be flexible i guess so we'll see how june goes and whether there's a need to re-plan

Hey was just wondering why there are areas highlighted - it's a great document, cheers for uploading but am unsure if the highlighted areas are for emphasis (importance) or because they need to be revisited?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

what do people think is the most efficient and effective way of doing derry cotter's fr cases book? standard by standard using index at end of book or case by case? how do u record learning points in each case?

Case entirely at a time, I'd studied hard to august and spent august onwards only on cases no specific learning unless a topic I faired poorly I went back on that.

Hey was just wondering why there are areas highlighted - it's a great document, cheers for uploading but am unsure if the highlighted areas are for emphasis (importance) or because they need to be revisited?
    hi.. no significance of the highlighted stuff at all.. i dont remember what it was in relation to but it was definitely something i'd highlighted for myself (i was matching those cases back to an indicator list i had made for myself i think) ..
    here is a FULLY UPDATED LIST OF CASES TO DATE.. which also shows which cases have dropped off in 2013.. also shows couple of new cases that came just 2 days ago or so.. i might just update every 2 weeks or so.. enjoy!

traineeacc wrote: »
    Case entirely at a time, I'd studied hard to august and spent august onwards only on cases no specific learning unless a topic I faired poorly I went back on that.

ok.. how would you note the points from a specific derry cotter case? im thinking attempt each seperate issue in a case on a separate a4 page and then in the end combine all pages related to each standard so i'd have a list of all standard by standard issue in the end to refer back to.. ?? cant figure out if that's the right way to go.. overthinking this one i think

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

ok.. how would you note the points from a specific derry cotter case? im thinking attempt each seperate issue in a case on a separate a4 page and then in the end combine all pages related to each standard so i'd have a list of all standard by standard issue in the end to refer back to.. ?? cant figure out if that's the right way to go.. overthinking this one i think

I think your way overthing this. The point of the case study approach is to put your skills into practice,you need to know the theory and be able to answer an indication which may even span a couple of topic area. By knowing the material you can better apply it in its entirety. Starting an indicator on a new page is a great idea for the exams. It means if you get a brainwave in the next indicator you can go back to the previous one without it looking scrappy and just throwing everything on a page.

You don't have to take my advice but what worked for me (have the placing to prove it ;-) ) was to ignore the cases for a couple of weeks know the theory and do nothing but cases for the last couple of weeks. Maybe try a case say in 3 weeks time but I can't stress enough being able to make the links across topics etc as opossed to a black and white approach to the indicator is key

traineeacc wrote: »
    I think your way overthing this. The point of the case study approach is to put your skills into practice,you need to know the theory and be able to answer an indication which may even span a couple of topic area. By knowing the material you can better apply it in its entirety. Starting an indicator on a new page is a great idea for the exams. It means if you get a brainwave in the next indicator you can go back to the previous one without it looking scrappy and just throwing everything on a page.

You don't have to take my advice but what worked for me (have the placing to prove it ;-) ) was to ignore the cases for a couple of weeks know the theory and do nothing but cases for the last couple of weeks. Maybe try a case say in 3 weeks time but I can't stress enough being able to make the links across topics etc as opossed to a black and white approach to the indicator is key

thanks but i was actually referring to the derry cotter financial reporting case study book.. in complete agreement as far as integrated cases are concerned :)

• Advertisement

I'm doing something like that on excel, starting from case 1 in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fae2013

Hi Just wondering if anyone knows if they is an integrated case day on this week and which case set it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Colzers

Does anyone have the answers to the integrated case days? I missed the Boyne workshop and now trying to catch up! Trying to figure out how to approach Primus Pet Foods as its all Paul Monaghan talks about! Thanks in advance :)

Has anyone got some summary notes for tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Hey guys! Just wondering whether there is anyone out there in the same boat as me. I failed the core last year due to IMP, so was wondering if anyone could help on where to start studying with it etc. thanks a mill!

• Advertisement

donkey10 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Just wondering whether there is anyone out there in the same boat as me. I failed the core last year due to IMP, so was wondering if anyone could help on where to start studying with it etc. thanks a mill!

+ 1

Hi, I've been trying to get some feedback too! I've registered for one, but would go for more If I knew more about it. Let me know if u hear any feedback any way!!

Hey, I did the auditing one and tax elective last year. I didnt understand a word of auditing as I work in tax and after the two days I understood it totally so that was worth going to! Did not find the elective good at all as it was pretty much just giving back what was in the book and found it was a waste of two days. Hopefully that may be of use!

does anyone have good concise notes on AAA Elective esp when it comes to audit reports

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rtw

Hi can anyone in group 6 or 7 confirm if there are case workshops on tomorrow? The master timetable on this thread says there are but just want to double check they are still on and that they're in Pearse st, thanks!

has anyone got June 2010 version of Corporate Governance Code? im trying to download from FRC website but that just gives me a .aspx file.. anyone got the proper PDF?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

When are the CA assessment results due out?

has anyone got June 2010 version of Corporate Governance Code? im trying to download from FRC website but that just gives me a .aspx file.. anyone got the proper PDF?

2010 attached

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭WeeDeee

+ 1

+2 on this i havent a clue how to study this subject

WeeDeee wrote: »
    +2 on this i havent a clue how to study this subject

Going by the revision lectures the standard was bumped up big time last year and it caught a lot of people...

Jamesw2 wrote: »
    2010 attached
    thanks buddy!

• Advertisement

Just a suggestion: re IMP but have a good look at the competency statement and you'll see what kind of main topics may arise e.g. outsourcing. As you read the book and main notes from lectures link them back to competency statement. Lastly Google "developments in IMP" to get an up to date perspective of whats going on in IMP and some buzz words to throw at the examiner!!!

Just a suggestion: re IMP but have a good look at the competency statement and you'll see what kind of main topics may arise e.g. outsourcing. As you read the book and main notes from lectures link them back to competency statement. Lastly Google "developments in IMP" to get an up to date perspective of whats going on in IMP and some buzz words to throw at the examiner!!!

Sounds like a good plan ...I think more work needs to be done in this area the fact that we don't usually use it much in work compared to the other subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Guys unfortunately I'm sitting the AAFRP Tuesday week, for ye that have sat it do ye have any tips? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LOS25

Hi,

Would anyone have the solutions to the questions at the back of the HR book or know where I could get them?

LOS25 wrote: »
    Hi,

Would anyone have the solutions to the questions at the back of the HR book or know where I could get them?

attached

struggle with this one meself.. but completely agree with above..
    re developments - i think it's important to know about RBS system failure last year.. it was a big issue but too close to the exam to actually come up in the exam..
    i regularly get my fix on business new via various smartphone apps - this one caught my eye in relation to IMP, just felt like sharing
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/06/05/softlayer-will-make-ibm-a-tougher-competitor-in-cloud-computing/

donkey10 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan ...I think more work needs to be done in this area the fact that we don't usually use it much in work compared to the other subjects

also, there is a book available for free I think over internet by Ken Laudon - Management Information Systems looks pretty good from a glance (i repeat, "a glance") and more directly related to competency statement..
    does anybody think old fae multi-d cases are useful in relation to IMP?

Re multi-d cases, suppose it wouldn't hurt...

for someone with an inherent weakness in audit, or someone still haunted by cap2 Audit exam, who would recommend viewing Sean Murray's lectures and reading standards while viewing? I feel it's a choice I kinda got to make given time limitations , either do all cap2 past papers, old fae audit papers or go through Mr Murray's lectures.. any feedback is appreciated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Advice wanted

I'm not usually good with lectures or books, ill usually use notes for most exams to date. For Cap2 my technique was to nearly go straight to all the past papers and learn by looking at the solution as things kept repeating. I also did the tax toolkit the same way to learn tax.

is it possible to apply this approach to cases? or would I need to be getting into some theory first, was there much in the tax planning/audit lectures I would not know from Cap2?

lastly I see people with lists of cases. are these in the back of the text books or do they come from the institutes website? do they come broken up by subject or are they all integrated?

thanks.

Advertisement