Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Picks Thread

• 01-11-2012 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

• This thread is solely for picks. No chat, chat goes in the original thread.

• You cannot pick players from the same team in two consecutive rounds. This excludes the wildcard round (round 8). For example, if you pick a Man Utd player in round 7, you can't pick one in round 9, but you are free to pick any retired PL player in round 8, regardless of which club he played for.

• You cannot pick more than 3 players from any one Premier League team.

• Players are to be judged on current ability. How this is exactly defined, is up to the individual.

• Loans do count. For example, Andy Carroll will be considered a West Ham player in this draft.

• The wildcard round will be played in round 8 and will be any former Premier League player that is currently retired. The player will be judged on his peak form in the Premier League.

• When selecting a pick, a picture would be ideal followed maybe by a short paragraph as to why you selected this pick.

• Every user has 12 hours to make a pick. If that time elapses the next user gets to pick regardless. The initial user who forego their pick can pick whenever they get back online. 1 AM - 7 AM isn't counted here, so if you picked at Midnight the person would have until 7 PM, if you picked at 2 PM they'd have until 8 AM. All times are GMT.

• If you do miss a pick (or if the person(s) you inform don't pick for you), you will be skipped and you can make your pick anytime when you're online next. But if you manage to miss two picks in a row and we don't hear a really good reason as to why, you're out and somebody else will take you're place.

• After you pick, you must PM the next user to inform them that it is their turn.

• After all picks are completed, there will be an initial qualifying round involving 8 teams. Those 8 teams will belong to the 8 posters that took the most amount of time to make all of their picks. I will keep a record of times after each round. The other 12 teams automatically qualify for the last 16.

The order of the draft will be as follows:

1. Liam O
    2. SirDelboy18
    3. baz2009
    4. Jax Teller
    5. IncognitoMan
    6. eagle eye
    7. redzerdrog
    8. Andy Carroll
    9. Bounty Hunter
    10. Xavi6
    11. Yurt
    12. Fuzzy_Dunlop
    13. Eathrin
    14. Blatter
    15. eugeneious
    16. G.K.
    17. Ix Deadmau5
    18. ASOT
    19. Chucky the tree
    20. Ares

So, work away Liam O and best of luck to everybody.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sorry, first time logging on today...

Anyway, my first pick is the reigning top scorer in the league. Has kept up his form since his move during the Summer and it looks like his old injury woes may be behind him. My first pick is Robin Van Persie.

_62324475_146506226.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

0,,10268~11270836,00.jpg

Going on current form, I don't think I had much of a choice with my first pick. Juan Mata, while extremely good last season, has become the most in-form, influential player in the PL. With 7 goals and 8 assists in 13 games this season (all competitions), he provides me with both a goal threat and guaranteed creativity - the ability to create something special out of nothing, which could make the difference here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Sergio-Aguero.jpg

This little shítebag who broke my heart in May.:pac:
    RVP and Mata were my first choices, but since they're gone I'm stuck with Aguero, woe is me wha'?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

eden-hazard_2320222b.jpg

Eden Hazard .
    Versatile player comfortable on the wings , behind the striker or even up top as a false 9 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

My first round pick is one of the leagues most influential and talented players. Delighted he made it to me

Wayne Rooney

wayne-rooney-and-nike-manchester-united-away-shirt-2012-2013-gallery.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Has to be Yaya Toure for my first pick.

YAYA2_1503812a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

He appears to have his hunger back and has been city's best play this year, give me plenty of options formation wise

image1fqc.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andy Carroll

Andy+Carroll

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

been bouncing back and forth over 3/4 players since I saw it was my go, but finally ive settled on everyone's favourite player

c1b5ba8f-3033-4329-acb6-eb2565f10460.jpg

Luis Suarez

Suarez-Brush_2805441.jpg

SuarezBirthday.gif

2dj718j.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Starting with a solid foundation at the back and a true leader.

It can only be the captain of the reigning Premier League champions and a man who did manage to live up to Championship Manager hype.

Welcome aboard Big Vinny K!

kg4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

GarethBaleGETTY_468x662.jpg

Great all round player fast,skillful,scores,assists he's been one of the best players in the league for the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Right well I'm going to go ahead and make my first pick, and so I pick David Silva to start off with some creativity.

_62938586_davidsilva.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Tony V

Luis-Antonio-Valencia11.jpg

One of the Premier Leagues most consistent performers over the last few years and is all set to do the business again this year.

A no nonsense winger who can beat his man with his lightening pace and hulk strength, also contributed the 2nd most assists in '11/'12.

And in this posters opinion, the best right winger in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

santi-cazorla.jpg

Santi Cazorla, one of the players of the season so far. A gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Lads can't put up a pic atm but my choice is going to be Nemanja Vidic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

My first choice attacking picks are gone, so how about this guy instead?

article-2214312-15613C45000005DC-923_634x415.jpg

Ashley Cole

Not everyone's cup of tea, but a damn good LB and I think remains the best in the EPL at quite a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

My first pick is Shinji Kagawa

1552.jpg

Fantastic player, quick, can use both feet, amazing passing ability as well as creativity .

Hon the Shinj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

tumblr_m6i4ecAHpn1qa5ax0o7_250.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

John Terry - Chelsea

john+terry.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Moussa-Dembele_2823799.jpg

He's pissed through the Manchester United midfield twice already this season and for me is one of the best in the league. Big, strong, a great range of passing and being honest he was an absolute snip for for £15 million.

I want a strong spine and with my next pick, Agger gives me a great foundation going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Pick number 21, Daniel Agger.

Liverpool137836134.jpg

With so many quality attacking players gone it seems imperative to have a strong central defence. Agger is going to be cornerstone of this defence. A brilliant reader of the game, strong in the air, pacy, an eye for goal and lets not forget that this is the player that league champions City coveted this summer gone, seeing him as the missing piece of the jigsaw. High praise.

Dembele, Agger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Another very choice but I've gone for a winger who on his day can be excellent. Not many wingers of this calibre in the league so I felt it was the right time to pick one as when my turn comes next choices could be very limited.

Nani-of-Manchester-United-008.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Everton-v-Manchester-United-Marouane-Fellaini_2814685.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Damn you ASOT, anyways, my next pick is Tommy V

Brilliant player, very solid overall.

vermaelen415.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As all of the best attacking options are basically gone, why not shore up the defence even more with this fella:

bacary-sagna_1520448c.jpg

Not as far ahead of others as Cole is, but his main 2 challengers will have questions asked (Unfairly, imo) of them by many people. A damn fine RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Genuinely good 'box-to-box' midfielders are few and far between these days but this man is right up there with the best IMO.

Ramires1_2497015.jpg

Chelsea's outstanding midfielder IMO.

nasrirender2.png

Samir Nasri, another versatile attacker that's great in possession and has an eye for goal.

As a proxy for Eathrin, I select Demba Ba.

DembaBa.png

For my second pick, I'm going to pick one of the best full backs in the league. And someone who can provide fantastic service from set pieces, Leighton Baines.

Leighton_Baines_693587g2.jpg

• Advertisement

Lucas-Leiva-Liverpool-2012.jpg

My second pick is still surprisingly available.After going through a tough start in his career in Liverpool he has emerged as Liverpool's best player in the last 3 years.Reads the game very well and there are very few players in the world who does what he does as good as he does.

Welcome aboard Mikel Arteta.

Can't go wrong with a classy ball playing midfielder who takes a great dead ball too.

arteta_2814827.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Suarez is my star player just like he is Liverpools but unlike at Liverpool I wont be left needing a CF and goalscorer after the draft window slams shut. Instead im giving him a top class strike partner who knows where the net is right now and a player that almost every Liverpool fan would be overjowed and surprised if they could get him for the same purpose.... Edin Dzeko

edin2.ashx.jpg

Brad Jones.

Sorry in work so no picture

Jack Wilshere

My second pick is Michu.
    4150469.jpg

• Advertisement

My second pick is Lukas Podolski

Arsenals-Lukas-Podolski-008.jpg

Hatem Ben Arfa

9DC0B9E4-1C39-4BBE-9629-FD8AE359F3DE-2095-000001196585866D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Rafael da Silva. Cant post pic as i dunno how on a phone.

There is a serious dearth of top quality right backs in this draft, so I'm going to take one who often gets criticised unfairly. He makes the odd mistake yes - but most full backs do. One of the brightest stars for Liverpool this season and fully deserves his England RB slot.

Glen Johnson

article-2163770-13C156AC000005DC-562_306x423.jpg - The missus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Round 2 pick is Clint Dempsey, had a great season last year and capable of being a gamewinner on his day. Been great for Fulham and the USA for years and has gotten his big move.

dempsey1.jpg

For my round 3 pick it will be Nuri Sahin, one of the best CMs in the PL, tough decision this one though as there is someone else who was really close to pipping him.

Nuri+Sahin+of+Real+Madrid

• Advertisement

I really want to have a strong defense - but it is this players versatility, being able to play to a top level at both left back and centre back which is so important to me. One of the best defenders in the league for me without question - he has fantastic technical ability too, and I can't afford to wait almost 40 picks to see if he would make it back to me.

Jan Vertonghen

Football_-_Premier__715535t.jpg

article-0-121CBDAC000005DC-992_634x476.jpg
    Nikica Jelavić

Hardest pick so far .Good all round striker

Yohan Cabaye

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzJiwU_VlRBVKZIBfgAmJh75dwOVKtfcQew5FHAxOnCEAJJE-H

Nearly all the good full backs are gone but imo the best one is still on the board, well was until now. My third pick is Branislav Ivanovic

131658hp2.jpg

Fernando torres

Kevin Nolan

As a proxy for Bounty Hunter I pick Cheick Tiote.

Cheik-Tiote-Newcastle-United.jpg

Going in early with this one but the heart couldn't miss put on this hero.

Tenacious, physical and consistently excellent, he provides an option at right back, left back and as a holding midfielder.

Premier League winner and all round legend, Mad Pablo Zabaleta.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTfOGtLl4jwUlCTzJcmc_qK3DPpnmMhyDuAOdYBd6PqSLsHJvTmg

Gael-Clichy-Manchester-City-Player-Profile_2837729.jpg

This was my toughest pick so far,but I've decided on picking one of the best full backs of the last few years.

It's a me Marioooooo. My third pick is Mario Balotelli, one of the most talented strikers in the game.

article-2052874-0E83AD9000000578-912_468x350.jpg

Funny%2Bwith%2BMario%2BBalotelli%2B1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement