Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live at the Marquee 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

The Prodigy back in 09' probably still hold the record for being the loudest, I could feel my nose vibrating from the bass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Getting my ticket today!

See yis there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeppppeee, we finally got standing tickets too so cant wait.. I hope they arrive in one of those cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

There is only one...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Elvis Costello tonight - can't wait - loved the guy for so many years now but I've never seen him in concert. Just disappointed it's a sit down concert - so I won't be able to bop around to the "older hits". Ah well, I suppose the organisers think we of a certain age could damage a hip :D Maybe they need a bit of standing room for every concert? Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The Prodigy back in 09' probably still hold the record for being the loudest, I could feel my nose vibrating from the bass
    Elton John was fairly loud on Sunday .
    I had awful ear pain and my teeth were rattling from the bass off the piano.

Anyone know for an all seated gig if you can move up to better seats once the gig starts if there are alot of empty seats closer to the stage ?

usually no problem. Got stuck behind a pillar at Michael mc Donald a few years back, staff had no issue with me moving to a better, empty seat

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I was in Block B, Row T last night - and upon arrival thought "Ye Gods" I really am up in the Gods at the back. But it was great being back there, loads of empty seats and space around us, we had great viewing, nobody getting in our way, sound OK back there. There were plenty of empty seats in Block A and people left the area around/behind us and moved further down - didn't seem to be a problem moving up and taking those empty seats. Also a friend of mine who was in Block A, Row B - I mean practically on the stage said the sound was really bad up there - too much bass. So whatever you're going to see Enjoy!!! I loved Elvis last night, what a trip down memory lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was Elvis all seating last night with no standing at all?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Was Elvis all seating last night with no standing at all?
    Yes,all seated gig.

• Advertisement

I didn't think they done all seated...I suppose it is better for different types of gigs..Sure what am I saying twas like that for Daragh.. Just got excited there seeing a fancy camper park up outside work thinking ZZ top but nooo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone know what the story is with support acts? I'd really like to see Tall Ships tomorrow but don't want to end up hanging around for an hour waiting for them if I go in too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Bacchus wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with support acts? I'd really like to see Tall Ships tomorrow but don't want to end up hanging around for an hour waiting for them if I go in too early.

Tall Ships on stage at 7.30 and The National at 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Only all seated show I was at down there was Tommy Tiernan.

Weird for a concert, even Elton John had a full stadning section. :pac:

If the gig was good though it wouldnt bother me TBH.

who is support ZZ Top tonight then anyone good

Milly33 wrote: »

No support. Very few of the shows there this year have support.

score sometimes tis nicer without it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Lack of support for ZZ Top, or any of the other acts is a bit of a cop-out. I'm sure there are plenty of bands knocking around Cork who would be more than happy to be an opener.

Ah, well. Anybody have any idea what time ZZ Top will be on tonight? Finding it hard to get any real info on the gig at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lack of support for ZZ Top, or any of the other acts is a bit of a cop-out. I'm sure there are plenty of bands knocking around Cork who would be more than happy to be an opener.

Agree
    Ah, well. Anybody have any idea what time ZZ Top will be on tonight? Finding it hard to get any real info on the gig at all.

I said earlier in this thread that I think it's ridiculous the lack information available about the festival. It seems like you have to be "in the know" to know anything. Anyone not familiar with Cork is left with zero info on times, parking, facilities & how to get there. How many of the gigs have actually sold out? Not many I think, they're still advertising tickets for all the gigs. With a decent website advertising the festival they could pull in a lot more customers. Not to mention bring in more tourists to Cork. It's the biggest music festival in Cork (with the exception of the Jazz) and there doesn't seem to be any effort to use it to attract tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Does anyone know if you can buy tickets at the gate, or do they have to be purchased in advance through Ticketmaster?

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can buy tickets at the gate, or do they have to be purchased in advance through Ticketmaster?

Yes, there's a Box Office there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

evilivor wrote: »
    Yes, there's a Box Office there.

I picked up my ticket yesterday in Merchants Quay and the guy said it was close to selling out. Of course they might say that to everyone...

cantdecide wrote: »
    I picked up my ticket yesterday in Merchants Quay and the guy said it was close to selling out. Of course they might say that to everyone...

Which show?

Milly33 wrote: »

ZZ Top were supported by the Ben Miller band.

Absolutely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Went to ZZ last night. Very good gig. Never seen so many bikers in one place. Gas.
    Parked on the road up a bit as the car park was full. My wife's uncle got a ticket for €20 at the gate. There was a support band which we missed (putting kids to bed) so ZZ came on about 9 and finished about 10.20. It was very warm in there even at the back where we were although it was a very warm evening. ZZ played a good few songs I recognised. Not a mad fan but have a few albums. Wife enjoyed it which is usually a good barometer.
    They have a mobile Eddie Rockets outside as well. 3.50 for chips but nice on the walk back to the car. Only gripe (again) is the sound quality in the venue. I really couldn't here what Billy Gibbons was singing for the most part and the drums were very mushy. Typical of all the gigs I've been to there. Is it because it's a tent or a sh1ite sound system? Saw Simple Minds there and same issue. In contrast I saw Prince in the O2 in London and it was the best sound I've ever heard at a gig in my life. Anyway for anybody else going the doors open at 6.30. It seems to vary what time the act comes on. Lots of parking on site but very slow getting out afterwards. People parked all over the shop outside and the Guards don't bother ya. Didn't check the price of drink but probably outrageous. There is a guy going around inside with a mobile cooler selling drink a well if you don't want to miss your favourite song. Best song of the night was Tush by the way.
    Tell you more after Sting next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sham2 wrote: »
    Went to ZZ last night. Very good gig. Never seen so many bikers in one place. Gas.
    Parked on the road up a bit as the car park was full. My wife's uncle got a ticket for €20 at the gate. There was a support band which we missed (putting kids to bed) so ZZ came on about 9 and finished about 10.20. It was very warm in there even at the back where we were although it was a very warm evening. ZZ played a good few songs I recognised. Not a mad fan but have a few albums. Wife enjoyed it which is usually a good barometer.
    They have a mobile Eddie Rockets outside as well. 3.50 for chips but nice on the walk back to the car. Only gripe (again) is the sound quality in the venue. I really couldn't here what Billy Gibbons was singing for the most part and the drums were very mushy. Typical of all the gigs I've been to there. Is it because it's a tent or a sh1ite sound system? Saw Simple Minds there and same issue. In contrast I saw Prince in the O2 in London and it was the best sound I've ever heard at a gig in my life. Anyway for anybody else going the doors open at 6.30. It seems to vary what time the act comes on. Lots of parking on site but very slow getting out afterwards. People parked all over the shop outside and the Guards don't bother ya. Didn't check the price of drink but probably outrageous. There is a guy going around inside with a mobile cooler selling drink a well if you don't want to miss your favourite song. Best song of the night was Tush by the way.
    Tell you more after Sting next Monday.

How did ya get it for €20? I was exact same, knew few songs, but really enjoyed it. Thought the sound was grand, considering it was a tent. The o2 is a purpose built arena, it'd have to be good. Tents are never conducive to good sound. I could barely understand what he was saying, not due to the sound but just his voice in general. Bar the same 3 guys/same chords bit....nice to have a joke!

Pints are €5, not too excessive for a venue gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Mushy wrote: »
    How did ya get it for €20?

He (wife's uncle) just went up to the ticket sales box at about 6pm and paid €20 for a standing ticket.

sham2 wrote: »
    Only gripe (again) is the sound quality in the venue. I really couldn't here what Billy Gibbons was singing for the most part and the drums were very mushy. Typical of all the gigs I've been to there. Is it because it's a tent or a sh1ite sound system? Saw Simple Minds there and same issue. In contrast I saw Prince in the O2 in London and it was the best sound I've ever heard at a gig in my life.

Its primarily the sound mix.
    I actually had a word with the guy doing it after the Elton John gig ,told him to lower the bass levels ,that it was way too high ,he didnt seem too interested.

You wouldn't know what sound system Aiken is using in the Marquee either.
    Its probably an old antique .

I imagine Prince was playing at the O2 for weeks so the sound system would have been tweaked for him.
    Most of the bands in Cork are arriving on the day and havent long to set up their gear and soundcheck so the sound wont be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zardoz wrote: »
    Its primarily the sound mix.
    I actually had a word with the guy doing it after the Elton John gig ,told him to lower the bass levels ,that it was way too high ,he didnt seem too interested.

Shocker!!
    Professional live sound engineer fails to take technical advice from punter.
    He should really cop himself on!

I've been to Nick Cave and Lou Reed in the past and found the sound to be fairly good both times. There was a bit of a slap back from the back of the tent but this wasn't very evident towards the front of the tent.
    A huge tent is not the ideal space for a amplified gig. Both times I was there sound was good considering.

• Advertisement

Went too and really enjoyed it!! same thing knew most of the songs but not all.. Thought the atmosphere in there was great every kinda character there. Was skitting seeing this big biker dude shack his ass and clap his hands like there was no tomorrow :) was a bit softy really. I have no quams with the venue think it is spot on just wish twas there more often with a few better gigs.. Don't understand why they don't open up the other parking in the show grounds the small place seems daft when they make the money back.

Thought ticketmaster alrite took the piss though.. we went to get tickets a while back and they said standing was sold out only seated which was €75 me thinks, and they were saying twas sold out early which is wasn't. Then a few weeks ago surprise standing tickets become available again, and that crap with paying at the gate heard another guy got a ticket for €30 which there is nothing wrong with but bad form from ticketmaster to be so sneaky..

my boss was chatting to someone who was working in the backround there and he said that one of the lads came straight off stage, changed into his PJ,s, got into the limo that they had changed the seats so twas like a bed to bring him straight to Dublin to play in the k clud!! haha

Advertisement