Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live at the Marquee 2013

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Shocker!!
    Professional live sound engineer fails to take technical advice from punter.
    He should really cop himself on!

He should when that punter has a Masters in Sound Engineering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sham2 wrote: »
    He (wife's uncle) just went up to the ticket sales box at about 6pm and paid €20 for a standing ticket.

I went up at 9 and paid full whack. Oh well, was worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Zardoz wrote: »
    He should when that punter has a Masters in Sound Engineering ;)

Do you bring your scroll with you to concerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

ZZ Top were in top form. I was standing near the centre and the sound was near perfect, like listening to a CD of a live gig. Get standing tickets next time and elbow your way to the middle :pac:
    Savage performance, absolutely delighted they played Head's In Mississippi. Saw them in London a couple of years back and thought they were good, but they really knocked it out of the park last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Had a great time last night too. I was off stage left pretty near the front and thought the sound was quite good. Best gig I've been to in a long time.

• Advertisement

My view of events. Unfortunately phone camera picks up noise.

Absolutely Epic night, Support were fantastic too, fitted in well with the main act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Absolutely Epic night, Support were fantastic too, fitted in well with the main act.

You must have been standing right in front of me!!

cantdecide wrote: »
    You must have been standing right in front of me!!

Up front, right side facing stage. There was a beardy guy with a white cowboy next to me......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

People holding phones up to video gigs is extremely annoying for those behind you. Enjoy the moment and let those behind you do so too. I implore you and all the other people who do this to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

People holding phones up to video gigs is extremely annoying for those behind you. Enjoy the moment and let those behind you do so too, I implore you and all the other people who do so.
    Some bands like savages and Yeah Yeah Yeahs agree.

yeah-yeah-yeahs-camera-sign-500x339.jpg

• Advertisement

People holding phones up to video gigs is extremely annoying for those behind you. Enjoy the moment and let those behind you do so too, I implore you and all the other people who do so.

But I recorded it just for your pleasure.

I'm so disappointed now. I only want to please you....

Seriously, look around, everyone does it. If I didn't, then 99.99% of the attendees still would.
    Also, phone is normal size, not ipad. I keep it at eye level. If they have a problem with my phone, they'll have the same problem with the back of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If they have a problem with my phone, they'll have the same problem with the back of my head.

Nope. The light from a phone draws the eye, a random head doesn't. So stop. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But I recorded it just for your pleasure.

I'm so disappointed now. I only want to please you....

Seriously, look around, everyone does it. If I didn't, then 99.99% of the attendees still would.
    Also, phone is normal size, not ipad. I keep it at eye level. If they have a problem with my phone, they'll have the same problem with the back of my head.

Oh, everyone else is doing it so it's ok ??
    99.99%? really.
    And for what? 10 minutes of out of focus shaky low res video with distorted sound.
    Winner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Was there for the first time for The National gig on Friday. Thought it was really good, but it really bothered me all the people smoking in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If they have a problem with my phone, they'll have the same problem with the back of my head.

Cop on to yourself and grow up.

Cop on to yourself and grow up.

I did, 30 years ago.

Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Was there for the first time for The National gig on Friday. Thought it was really good, but it really bothered me all the people smoking in there.

Inside the tent?was no one enforcen no smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I saw some people smoking alright, and judging by the smells it wasn't all Silk Cut either;) Ah, doesn't bother me, it happens at concerts, not a big deal.

I did find the sound far from ideal, I think the the sound was too bass heavy. For example, you could barely make out the cymbals over the floor kick drum and other toms.
    Also, when any of the band spoke to the crowd I could barely make out what they were saying, it wasn't a volume issue, it was the sound mix. I was standing just to the left of the left hand side amp rack..anyway, it didn't take from the gig, which was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Sting. Flawless. Sound was the best best gig in years. Anybody see him in Sinè Sunday nigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

sham2 wrote: »
    Sting. Flawless. Sound was the best best gig in years. Anybody see him in Sinè Sunday nigh?

Sound was excellent alright ,much better than last week, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable gig.
    His band were superb.
    A very polished performance that flew along.

Only complaint I could have was that he only played for one hour and 40 minutes .
    Really should be playing closer to 2 hours (like on the US leg) for 81 euro .
    Would have been nice to hear Spirits in the Material World ,Walking on the Moon and The Shape of my Heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I thought it was a brill concert also - considering we're in a big tent - the sound was great (apart from drum solo towards end - just got a bit too much for my delicate ears). I was at the Police Concert in Croke Park a few years ago and saw Sting in the Royal Albert Hall - that man can still hit those notes - and his band were superb! And he knows how to communicate with his audience - hence we were even more appreciative of him. Oh to have been in Sin E when he was there - anyone lucky enough to have been there??? (Great review of Concert in Examiner today).

I don't think the performers are allowed to play after 22.30 - but I could be corrected on that one.

But I really enjoyed the night - another trip down memory lane, having seen Elvis Costello last week and possibly going to the Boomtown Rats this Fri - I'll be so stuck in happy memories of the past, I may not want to re-enter 21st Century Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Judes wrote: »

I don't think the performers are allowed to play after 22.30 - but I could be corrected on that one.

He came on at 9pm and finished at 10.38 so I am not sure of the curfew.
    Only 17 songs on the setlist which is disappointing when you consider 21 was the norm on the US leg .
    I dont know why he trimmed it down for Cork,the tickets weren't cheap at 81 and 87 euro inc booking fee .

Great gig but needed another 20 minutes .

Fred have announced they are supporting the Boomtown Rats this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Exellent news - two for the Price of one i.e. I get to see Bob and the Boys and Fred! Roll on Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

evilivor wrote: »
    Some bands like savages and Yeah Yeah Yeahs agree.

yeah-yeah-yeahs-camera-sign-500x339.jpg

Funnily enough last night at Jessie J this person had an ipad (I thought that was hilarious), and was asked to shut it down, and then Jessie J goes "this is a new song I shouldn't be playing it, so record it put it on youtube" ..so they whip the ipad back out, entirely blocking the people behind them. Didn't bother me, I was in the front row watching the live performance with my little sis..great show though :)

Advertisement