Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External IP address keeps changing

• 01-11-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a noob question...

I am currently stuck with eircom on home 1mb (yes, you read right - thats 1mb broadband!) here in the sticks and i am having a problem with the external IP address eircom sets for me... mainly it keeps changing.

This happens often as the line here can drop and resync at least once a day, which causes eircom to issue a new external IP address to my eircom router from what i can see.

This is a problem as i have not got a set IP address that i can log into my home NAS to get files from (mainly word/excel/photos etc. when i and others are away - this is a must for me as dropbox/emailing them etc is no good in my situation as these files i need are updated every so often by others from my home office.

Also, on a different side, i did use unblock.us up till recently to allow us viewing of the american netflix etc, and this also requires me go on the unblock site and keep resetting/refreshing my IP address info as it cant find me which is a bit annoying.

Has anyone had this same issue. Is it a case of just ringing up eircom and asking for a set IP address for my line?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

All Irish ISPs issue a dynamic IP address.

Some charge for a static IP address. Not sure about Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if eircom won't give you a static ip you can use a service like http://dyn.com/dns/ if your router supports it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the quick replys... and thanks for the terms i was looking for.

I think i might give them a call and see if they will do a static IP for us.

Besides the pros of being able to log into the home nas on a static IP address would there be any downsides to having a static IP? Maybe security?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Access wrote: »
    [...]

This is a problem as i have not got a set IP address that i can log into my home NAS to get files from (mainly word/excel/photos etc. when i and others are away - this is a must for me as dropbox/emailing them etc is no good in my situation as these files i need are updated every so often by others from my home office.

[...]
    I doubt if static external IP from eircom is possible, but you can ask them in their "talk to..." ;)

But you can also use this.

Thanks all, will inquire with them.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Indeed you did, and got the answer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

joujoujou wrote: »
    Indeed you did, and got the answer. :)

Very mysterious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I doubt if static external IP from eircom is possible, but you can ask them in their "talk to..." ;)

I used the above link to access my NAS (NAS had a DDNS setting so did not need to change my router). Works like a charm. Free too :)

Unregistered Users

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Very mysterious.
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

You can by static IP from eircom. It cost 50 Euro (single charge).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

It is possible but traditionally reserved for business customers as I remember it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

MrO wrote: »
    It is possible but traditionally reserved for business customers as I remember it.

It is possible for home users as well.

Thanks all... asked over at "talk to eircom" thread... and joujoujou is right, €50 once off charge to change a home user to static IP address... i have my own thoughts on eircom charging €50 for this. ;)

Thanks user1842, will look into that and give it a try first.

Thanks all again for the help on this one.

Advertisement