Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

google maps

• 01-11-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Ive read through the threads but I am a bit puzzled still.

After updating the iphone software we all lost google maps.
    My questions is, will it come to the app store or is that the whole point, even if google did make an app apple wouldnt put it in the app store??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Google are working on a Google Maps app at the moment.

Provided it complies with the rules of the App Store, Apple will approve it. Apple Maps have been a disaster and Apple even had a section on the US store recommending third-party alternatives (which they allow), so there's no reason for them to reject Google's app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Google are working on a Google Maps app at the moment.

Provided it complies with the rules of the App Store, Apple will approve it. Apple Maps have been a disaster and Apple even had a section on the US store recommending third-party alternatives (which they allow), so there's no reason for them to reject Google's app.

Except that Steve Jobs once said

Our lawsuit is saying, 'Google you f***ing ripped off the iPhone, wholesale ripped us off,'" Jobs said, according to Isaacson. "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product.

No love lost there between Apple and Google

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's no love lost between Apple and Samsung either and they are still able to do business together. Google wouldn't be working on the app if they thought Apple was going to reject it.

In Cook's apology to users he actually recommended using Google Maps via Safari. They'll approve the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

They'll approve it but the biggest thing here is that they won't allow you to set a default maps application.

All Apple's app's and third party app's that rely on mapping software e.g Facebook will still use Apple Maps.

That's just fixing half of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

At first Google said they were working on it but then after the Apple Maps were released to everybody they said they weren't currently working on it or am I wrong?

Incidentally I've just used Apple Maps to find directions for the first time using turn by turn and it worked flawless and picked the start of the route we were planning on going anyway. Was very impressed. But the other day I searches a POI and it wasn't able to find it. Tried it on Google Maps and it found it right away. But then today Google Maps wouldn't work which is why I resorted to Apple's and it turned out to be the better one. Google Maps wouldn't load through Safari, for unknown reasons. Overall I'm happy with the new Maps except searching for POI.

• Advertisement

As I recall, it was initially reported that Google had already submitted an app to Apple and were waiting for approval, which Google quickly denied. Then it was reported that Google were working on a new app that merged Google Earth but that it would be quite a while.

As I recall, it was initially reported that Google had already submitted an app to Apple and were waiting for approval, which Google quickly denied. Then it was reported that Google were working on a new app that merged Google Earth but that it would be quite a while.

I was thinking to myself a while back why don't they merge both into one app. Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Aodhagan wrote: »
    They'll approve it but the biggest thing here is that they won't allow you to set a default maps application.

All Apple's app's and third party app's that rely on mapping software e.g Facebook will still use Apple Maps.

Well I'm happy with it. I use Apple Maps and it is excellent. A few glitches but it's getting better every week and the problems have been wildly exaggerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

mel123 wrote: »
    Hi
    Ive read through the threads but I am a bit puzzled still.

After updating the iphone software we all lost google maps.
    My questions is, will it come to the app store or is that the whole point, even if google did make an app apple wouldnt put it in the app store??

This was flagged up weeks before launch, that Google maps would not be included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Except that Steve Jobs once said

Our lawsuit is saying, 'Google you f***ing ripped off the iPhone, wholesale ripped us off,'" Jobs said, according to Isaacson. "I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product.

No love lost there between Apple and Google

Jobs was a great man but sightly delusional in that statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭risteardb

Aodhagan wrote: »

Does anybody know would the new google maps app be able to be set as the default maps app?

risteardb wrote: »
    Does anybody know would the new google maps app be able to be set as the default maps app?

Nope. It's gonna be about 99% likely that Apple won't let you use it as a default app. Just like with them only allowing you to use Safari as default.

Advertisement