Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any place to grab a Burrito?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Here's something for us nay-sayers or those curious to try La Salsa. Grab one for €10 voucher for €5 or €20 voucher for €10.

http://www.grabone.ie/galway/la-salsa-4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd recommend the BBQ Pork or Baja.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Living over the South West of America with a large Hispanic community. Lots of great Mexican food here. I had a South American friend in Galway that always swore that La Salsa was an injustice to Mexican food. He was right.

I like the small dives here the best. In terms of franchise places, Chipotle is pretty good. I don't get the venom in regards to Fast Food places, they are fast food and have their customers, no need to get d!ckish about them. It reminds me of when Burger King and KFC were opening in Galway. You'd swear they were going to rape, pillage and plunder all that they saw. Get over it...

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Living over the South West of America with a large Hispanic community. Lots of great Mexican food here. I had a South American friend in Galway that always swore that La Salsa was an injustice to Mexican food. He was right.

I like the small dives here the best. In terms of franchise places, Chipotle is pretty good. I don't get the venom in regards to Fast Food places, they are fast food and have their customers, no need to get d!ckish about them. It reminds me of when Burger King and KFC were opening in Galway. You'd swear they were going to rape, pillage and plunder all that they saw. Get over it...

See, I had mexican friend livign here last year for 6 months and she said la salas's burritos were "fine, same as at home pretty much, it's just a burrito" and I'd be of the same opinion. She said everything else was fine too, it's just like mexican fast food, nothing special but not terrible. She ate there a few times when she was craving something from home. She did say she wished there was something like rice and beans on the menu a few times as generally she just wanted a bowl of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Wompa1 wrote: »

Except that a burrito isn't a traditional mexican dish, its tex mex.

La Salsa is okay, nothing on Boojum in Dublin, but its good. The BBQ pork is the best.

On a side note, I would love some chipotle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

anyone been in the new place that opened beside kellys?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can't say I have. Do they sell burritos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

they do its called El Burrito

Twitter page

Facebook Page

biko wrote: »
    Can't say I have. Do they sell burritos?

Yeah, someone mentioned it earlier in the thread that the company that operates the Subway and Fourstar franchises in Galway is opening a Burrito place on bridge street, I'd imagine that's what yourman was talking about.

I'll be in town around lunch time today, may wander down there and have a lookit.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

they do its called El Burrito

Twitter page

Facebook Page

anyone been there? any good?

and is there any salsa verde?!

any any any

• Advertisement

xo.mary wrote: »
    anyone been there? any good?

and is there any salsa verde?!

any any any

They don't do wet burritos. so no, ni

o salsa verde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Myself and a few friends ate in El Burrito today. Very disappointed. The burrito was lukewarm and pretty tasteless. No refried beans and just a really sweet salsa. All the meat is pre-heated as well, so it didn't taste very fresh. Not a patch on La Salsa in terms of quality and quantity and not cheap enough to justify choosing it over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Are people talking about La Salsa in Mainguard st or in Mary st? Or are they the same crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

if anyone wants to try the new El Burrito place they have a deal on: 2 Burritos + 2 drinks for €8

If anyone else is getting this and hasn't used GrabOne before can you please signup using my referral link: http://www.grabone.ie/refer/174734
    Thanks! :-)

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Are people talking about La Salsa in Mainguard st or in Mary st? Or are they the same crowd?

Same family but two different businesses, AFAIK. The menu's seem to be the same though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Same family but two different businesses, AFAIK. The menu's seem to be the same though...
    Always found Mainguard St the better of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Just eating a El Burrito now. Terrible stuff. The meat is as stated earlier reheated. The beef is like sawdust and tastes the same. 7 Bloody euro too for a small ladle full of meat !
    Can't say the chap behind the counter was able to wrap a Burrito either as it was falling out from all sides.
    I'd like to say it will improve but have a feeling it will fail. 7 euro is simply scandalous for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 panthony

I have just tried El Burrito, I have to say not great compared to La Salsa, the chicken in the burrito was leg and nearly minced, the pieces were so small and the salsa tasted processed as if out of a supermarket jar.They have a very limited menu, I think i'll stick to La Salsa

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I tried it too and it was pretty horrible. I don't really rate La Salsa too much either but it's definitely miles ahead of this place.. The burrito had tough chewy bits of beef (when it said minced), no flavour and was just plain bad. The chips were awful too, small and cubed, undercooked and with strange unpleasant taste. It cost 10euro which was a very bad price in terms of food quality and portion size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Feck I went and bought this deal for El Burrito...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Skylanders

Have been there for burrito,so dont know what is all the fuss about-staff friendly,food was fresh and tasty.i mean they are open just two weeks i think-give them a break.Got the deal anyway-think is great offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Skylanders wrote: »
    Have been there for burrito,so dont know what is all the fuss about-staff friendly,food was fresh and tasty.i mean they are open just two weeks i think-give them a break.Got the deal anyway-think is great offer.

To be honest that kinda posting around these parts is going to lose you more customers than gain them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Skylanders wrote: »

You can confirm they're a shill when the first thing they say is the staff are friendly. Who really cares if the staff are friendly or not if the burritos aren't any good?

You can confirm they're a shill when the first thing they say is the staff are friendly. Who really cares if the staff are friendly or not if the burritos aren't any good?
    Exactly, havent had a good 'its a shill' here in a while but a clear case if i ever saw it.

Tried El Burrito during the week. As others have said it's pretty poor quality ingredients and the meat (chicken) was very chewy and only warm. The beans were very sloppy too. Couldn't finish it.

Not a touch on La Salsa, can't see it lasting long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I was thinking of trying the place. Many bad reviews combined with a shill - think i'll leave eh ouhhhh' :pac:

Well I wouldn't chance it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

So yesterday I finally used my grabone voucher at La Salsa on Mainguard St. The fancier ones seemed to be missing beans so I stuck with the regular bbq pork burrito and asked to add sour cream. I was feeling spendy as I had the voucher so ordered guacamole and chips as well. Unfortunately the guacamole tasted like it came out of a can so that was money wasted. I have to say the burrito itself wasn't bad. Maybe the pork was dry but there was so much going on you could barely tell. My big issue was it was too big that there was no way to eat it. When I've gotten big burritos in from taquerias in California they usually wrap them tight in a long piece of foil. Then you can peel it down as you eat without the mess. The tortilla was too small to wrap the filling and it was just loosely wrapped in paper. So, it all came to pieces and was a bit of a mess. I was glad I was eating alone. Don't take a date there! All in all the taste was ok but it wish it had half the filling, was wrapped, and could be picked up. I think I'll stick with my own burritos at home with fresh guacamole and spend the savings on a cool cervesa.

Advertisement