Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any place to grab a Burrito?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah the burritos are large but can be hit and miss.
    Tbh I have found the meat in La Salsas products much too chewy and not in a good way - it stopped me going there for a very long time until I saw they had a veggie quesadillas so now everything is happy days again.
    I've spoken to the people in the shop about it and there isn't anything they seem to be willing to do about it.
    I did try a meat quesadilla there a few weeks back thinking they may have changed their ways after all these years but alas, no change. I picked the meat out and will stick with veggie from now on if I go there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lasalsagalway

newkie wrote: »
    So yesterday I finally used my grabone voucher at La Salsa on Mainguard St. The fancier ones seemed to be missing beans so I stuck with the regular bbq pork burrito and asked to add sour cream. I was feeling spendy as I had the voucher so ordered guacamole and chips as well. Unfortunately the guacamole tasted like it came out of a can so that was money wasted. I have to say the burrito itself wasn't bad. Maybe the pork was dry but there was so much going on you could barely tell. My big issue was it was too big that there was no way to eat it. When I've gotten big burritos in from taquerias in California they usually wrap them tight in a long piece of foil. Then you can peel it down as you eat without the mess. The tortilla was too small to wrap the filling and it was just loosely wrapped in paper. So, it all came to pieces and was a bit of a mess. I was glad I was eating alone. Don't take a date there! All in all the taste was ok but it wish it had half the filling, was wrapped, and could be picked up. I think I'll stick with my own burritos at home with fresh guacamole and spend the savings on a cool cervesa.
    newkie, sorry you were not happy with the Guacomole during your last visit, if you call in To La Salsa Mainguard Street again ask for me or get them to ring me and I'll give you another on the house, just to let you know, we make our own Guacomole fresh everyday, actually everything we sell to our customers is made fresh in house,ie Salsa, Guacomole,Refried beans, Black beans, corn chips(nachos),even our fries are cut fresh potatoes and our meat is supplied from Colleran's butchers, from directly across the road, who have an excellent reputation. I am sorry you were dissapointed with your last visit, I can only say we always try to operate to the highest standards and if you could supply details of the day you visited I'll look further into the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

lasalsagalway, thanks for signing up to respond. Just a heads up, if you want to post in an official capacity you must first be verified by the backoffice so we know you're the real deal.
    Get in touch with hello@boards.ie for verification thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I would *love* if any of the businesses did proper soft corn tacos. Not the 'fake' corn ones you get in supermarkets that are half wheat though. They are easy enough to make in the proper pan (if you are making a bunch of them - a bit labour intensive for 1 or 2 people) and have a very unique taste. Also might be an alternative for those with wheat intolerance? Miss corn tacos I found in the states. Fish taco: white fish, salsa verde, chiles and black beans - nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Tried this place on friday night. very disappointed .

Meat was horrible. I had chicken friend had pork.

Not a patch on la salsa or the burrito places up in Dublin. very bland and tasteless

The "very very spicy" salsa was not spicy at all and the food had been sitting there all day it looked.

Was in there for a total of half an hour and no one else came in.

Will not be going back unless they improve the quality alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Short notice I know, but the gourmet tart restaurant in Salthill have a special on today of Beef Burrito with homemade guacamole, salsa, and side salad for 8 euro. I just devoured one! Safe to say it's the best place to grab a Burrito in Galway today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irisheyez

Seriously are we talking about the same place?? I lived in the states for a while and love my mex but I know i'll never be able to replicate
    the experience here. I've tried all over Galway and to be honest El Burrito is the closest I can get. Like the above post the meat in La Salsa was too chewy and put me off going there again; cactus doesn't even rate with me.

If you haven't gone there yet give it a try and see for yourself there's a few different options I love the chicken quesidilla and the traditional nachos. Ingredients are fresh, the fresh salsa is yum. The pinto beans were yum as well. The burrito is big and the wrap is great as it doesn't get soggy it fills you up and that's what I want as well as being tasty. I've bought more than I can eat a few times but I've learned my lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

From recent experiences I would favour El Burrito over La Salsa, by quite a large margin. Though judging by this thread I must be the only one!

El Burrito put way more stuff in their veggie burrito than La Salsa do. They are also significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

irisheyez wrote: »
    I lived in the states for a while and love my mex but I know i'll never be able to replicate
    the experience here. I've tried all over Galway and to be honest El Burrito is the closest I can get.

Where in the states were you? I was in Cal and there were many authentic taquerias nearby. Adore the stuff. I reluctantly tried La Salsa again after a 7 year ban and was disappointed. This place opened in the meantime and I was curious until I heard the reports. Somehow I think an Irish burrito will never be good, I still remember a mexican place in Dublin 15 years ago that didn't even have sour cream. I bet you are better off making it fresh at home as the ingredients (but not necessarily fresh avocado, dammit) are readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 irisheyez

Hi Newkie, I was all over, San Diego, San Fran and well; Minnesota! I'm still searching for a Mission burrito fix but you have make to make do with whats out there! In MN there were a lot of fast food places like Chipotle etc but there were some real nice places too! I'm LL bout el burrito right now to try and plug that hole of tex mexishness. It's fresh tastng and you get that zing if you know what I mean. Okay now I'm hungry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ingredients are fresh

I have some doubts about that. Had an incident with El Burrito a few weeks ago but I won't say anything because of libel and all that but needless to say I'll never be going there again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I ate in El Burrito today and I will not, ever, be going back.
    Pork was totally over cooked rubbery and swimming in a pretty crap sauce, the black beans were ok but again, swimming in sauce, the salads looked limp and 2 days old and despite putting it on the gril the cheese was still cold. The chips were crap too.

I am now also experiencing extreme stomach discomfort and extremely bad back pain which my medical professional reckons is "refered pain caused by food born organisms in the stomach".

So much for enjoying my ****ing weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Seaneh wrote: »
    I am now also experiencing extreme stomach discomfort and extremely bad back pain which my medical professional reckons is "refered pain caused by food born organisms in the stomach".

Are you serious?

This place looks like its going to be gone sooner rather than later if this thread is anything to go by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well, I can't be 100% sure it's food related just yet, but let's just say it's looking that way by how my body is acting (I won't go into details) and the only things I'd eaten today were a bowl of corn flakes this morning and the burrito for lunch...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Are you serious?

This place looks like its going to be gone sooner rather than later if this thread is anything to go by.
    Given the woeful reviews from some reliable posters im just surprised anyone is still venturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Well, I can't be 100% sure it's food related just yet, but let's just say it's looking that way by how my body is acting (I won't go into details) and the only things I'd eaten today were a bowl of corn flakes this morning and the burrito for lunch...

Jesus, It's kind of ridiculous when a restaurant gives someone food-posioning in this day and age:S Unless the food's been contaminated at source, there isn't really an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Seaneh wrote: »
    I ate in El Burrito today and I will not, ever, be going back.
    Pork was totally over cooked rubbery and swimming in a pretty crap sauce, the black beans were ok but again, swimming in sauce, the salads looked limp and 2 days old and despite putting it on the gril the cheese was still cold. The chips were crap too.

You're in the same boat I was in so. Found myself up shivering all night too even though I was in bed with an electric blanket. Like yourself I can't say it was definitely food related but this is a bit too much of a coincidence now. Place should be shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Seralu

I find it very odd that some people on this thread have bad things to say about El Burrito. I've eaten there a load of times and it's always been fresh and delicious and the service has been very good. I'm a big lover of Mexican food and I've always been disappointed in Galway till now. I especially love the fresh salsa with the coriander, I keep going back for more!

I think some of this thread smacks of people with a vested interest trying to take down a small business before its even gotten off the ground. Times are hard enough for everyone guys. As for the rest of ye, be your own judges and pop in, you won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Seralu - and how is business going otherwise? If you're going to shill, at least introduce yourself and then defend your business. You've just put me off ever going in there, congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I got a voucher off someone and went in there the last day. To be honest I wasn't hugely impressed at the food, it needed more zing, the choices seemed to be bland or burn your face off. If that's what you had Seaneh you might be getting an adverse reaction to the spices rather than any kind of bad food, it hits some people like that.

Maybe mix in some of the condiments to the less spicy one, there's an ample supply laid out on the counter, and the staff are brilliant, even giving tips on how to eat it without exploding it all over the shop.

I'd hate to see any business lose out when it's just getting started, I'll be going back and applying more spices next time. If it's not working after that I'll leave it. I feel the place has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Seems to be a lot of negative vibes and I'm not a fast food fan, but I had a chicken burrito from El Burrito a week or so ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Seralu wrote: »
    I find it very odd that some people on this thread have bad things to say about El Burrito. I've eaten there a load of times and it's always been fresh and delicious and the service has been very good. I'm a big lover of Mexican food and I've always been disappointed in Galway till now. I especially love the fresh salsa with the coriander, I keep going back for more!

I think some of this thread smacks of people with a vested interest trying to take down a small business before its even gotten off the ground. Times are hard enough for everyone guys. As for the rest of ye, be your own judges and pop in, you won't be disappointed!

I find it strange that someone would set up an account just to let us know this! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Had my first ever burrito (I know) in Chipotle in Soho at the weekend, no chance of it moving here? It was so bloody good!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Oh dear. Must go check the price of my La Salsa shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

There's a lovely one in Dublin called Burrito and Orange, And you get a huge feed for 6 Euro. Pity they don't move to Galway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Little Ass Burrito bar on Dawson street is tiny and so nyom. Can we petition them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Yeah we really need a proper Mexican place, it would CLEAN UP. I had La Salsa (Mainguard St) earlier, mainly because it's near me and Asian Tea House is closed Tuesdays, it was average but gourmet in comparison to El Bleurghito.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Seralu

Business is good John, I have no affiliation with any restaurant. Just a customer! Someone who really likes eating there too told me about the thread and I thought it was kind of a shame cause I like it there and I wish them well. And I'm sorry if my opinion turned you off, cause you're missing out :) By the way jenno, my account was set up in 2010!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Business is good John, I have no affiliation with any restaurant. Just a customer! Someone who really likes eating there too told me about the thread and I thought it was kind of a shame cause I like it there and I wish them well. And I'm sorry if my opinion turned you off, cause you're missing out :) By the way jenno, my account was set up in 2010!

But in just over 2 years you have posted twice and both times its to defend the mighty El Burrito against people on boards who have a vested interest in shutting down this establishment which gives out Michelin quality food and anyone who says otherwise must clearly be lying.

So sorry I didn't believe your first post. :rolleyes:

Advertisement