Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox takes 2 minutes to turn off

Options
  • 01-11-2012 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

having a problem with my xbox
    only started happening about a month ago
    when i turn it on its normal
    runs normal
    discs are played normal
    but as soon i press the button to switch it off
    the lights turn off the tele screen turns off (as normal) but the machine is still being heard as its running while turned on
    after about a minute-2minutes it finally stops running
    but its weird because everything turns off but the machine inside keeps going
    anyone else have this? in work at the moment so cant search most websites for solutions
    also i tryed turning it off by holding the Y button and turning it off that way but still same thing happens
    thanks
    progress.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Anything plugged into the USB ports? (USB keys/portable harddrive?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

my controller charger is but i dont have it charging
    i dont have it plugged into my controller but its plugged into my xbox so would that cause the problem? other then that nothing else is plugged into the xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It happens the same on mine. As far as I remember that started even cloud saving came into play

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

there is a setting thats makes your xbox stay on until your downloads are finished but i think it keeps on the xbox for a minute or two so even if your downloads are finished .try and see if that setting is on and turn it off

will do thanks for the replies guys, just ahs me worried ha its 4 years old so im thinking its on its way out soon ha its havin a heart attack or something ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

The xbox tries to cool itslef down before a full power down. Its a safety measure and its better for the machine rather than leave it running hot to cool down by itself. You might want to look at the position of the xbox, if its vent is covered then move it or if the space its put in has a high ambient air temp try and move it out of there.

Also, if its 4 years old the intake vent are prob clogged with 4 years of hovered in dust and lint meaning cooling is taking longer at power down. Look up youtube for a tear down guide. In most cases to clean a vent you only need to remove the outer casing which only takes a few mins (I did it not too long ago for my slim) and you'll have great access to clean out any obstructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

If the green light on the power block is staying on then it's just the Xbox cooling off or a download finishing, nothing to worry about

Also thanks to my trigger fingers I've just managed to report the post above me instead of hitting quick reply, my apologies!!

unfortunatly the power button is off
    the whole thing looks off
    the only thing running is the machine inside but other then that if i took a picture of it while this was happening youd think it was an xbox that has been turned off haha

gonna need to give it a clean inside though
    its placed flat down
    in a well vented area
    nothing in its way
    not near a radiator or near a window has nothing blocking it from behind of the front its placed on a glass desk
    suppose their a nightmare for collecting dust

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

saiint wrote: »
    unfortunatly the power button is off
    the whole thing looks off
    the only thing running is the machine inside but other then that if i took a picture of it while this was happening youd think it was an xbox that has been turned off haha

gonna need to give it a clean inside though
    its placed flat down
    in a well vented area
    nothing in its way
    not near a radiator or near a window has nothing blocking it from behind of the front its placed on a glass desk
    suppose their a nightmare for collecting dust

It's just the fan cooling the xbox, let it cool down as it is doing, especially if its the older model "phat" 360, I know it sounds like a hurricane but trust me, tis grand.... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

so what

What's the point of that post? OP is looking for help. If you don't want to help, don't post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It could also be syncing up your cloud saves

Advertisement