Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw / fresh - dog being picky over food

• 01-11-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

We have our 1 year old on a mixture of a fresh / raw diet which has been going great so far. However recently he has started picking only the meat / fish and bones out of his bowl, eating it and leaving the portions of rice and veg behind.

As a long haired breed for the proper condition of his coat he needs to be eating a more balanced diet rather than just a meat based one. Is there anyway I can get him the rice and / or veg? They are small portions and the balance is based on the advice I have been getting on here about raw and fresh diets.

Should I just dish up what he leaves in the morning for his dinner in the evening and if he avoids that then dish it up again in the morning until he knows he must eat what he is given? I know no dog will let himself starve but I am concerned that once we go back to normal meals his picking will start again.

Thanks!

I should say I do cook the rice and veg.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Could you try feeding the veg pureed and mixed in with some mince, well mashed sardines or egg? If it's all mixed together really well he shouldn't be able to pick out the veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Sorry I should have said I do mash the veg and rice but still he digs in and pulls out the meat and bones, sets them on the floor, eats them and then leaves the veg. He has even started shaking the meat as he pulls it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Sorry, why does he need rice? what benefit does that give his coat? Not being funny, just have honestly never heard that rice has any benefits, other than when dogs have an upset stomach, to be fed with chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

We were told by a groomer than longer haired breeds need some carbs for their coats or they can become quite wirey - she suggested pasta but for some reason pasta doesnt agree with him (you can imagine what that meant on his toilet runs!) so we switched to rice. We alter between rice and potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

You could try to pour some chicken broth (preferably not from the cube) in the veggie mash to give it a meaty smell. It worked for my dogs, when they had a picky period.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

kaza2710 wrote: »
    We were told by a groomer than longer haired breeds need some carbs for their coats or they can become quite wirey - she suggested pasta but for some reason pasta doesnt agree with him (you can imagine what that meant on his toilet runs!) so we switched to rice. We alter between rice and potatoes.

Hi Kaza, you're groomer's not right on that one. Dogs are carnivores, they don't eat carbs, even the dry food sites agree on this one. Moreover carbohydrates do absolutely nothing for building anything. They are purely energy (sugar) on different forms. Absolutely nothing a coat needs can be found from carbohydrate, certainly not from rice.

Hair is almost all protein. Dogs use about 50% of the protein they eat to build skin and hair each day. This is why dogs maintained on protein defunct dry foods (24% being the minimum required for a dog, not the optimum, the optimum is closer to 70%) have poor coats while those fed meat have lovely lush coats. It's why breeders love tripe. They add it, see the luscious coat that develops and think "tripe" is incredible.

Ironically by recommending pasta she's recommending a wheat based food. The vast majority of dogs are gluten intolerant bordering coeliac. Gluten blocks the absorbtion of vital coat building minerals such as magnesium and zinc. Phytic acid (present in wheat) binds these two minerals out of the diet. Wheat based food is the absolute enemy of a good. coat.

Meat is the answer, regardless of type, get it in there! Chicken is great, good fats, lovely protein etc. On the bone for the trace minerals. She's picking those bits out because she's a carnivore. A balanced diet for her is one of almost all meat, organ and bone. You can include a little veg, it's not vital and your dog doesn't need it. However prepared right and sneaking it in there (mushed or cooked) can boost nutrient content of the meal.

Add a little safflower oil (if you can find it) or primrose oil to the diet (half teaspoon) every now and again. Oily fish like salmon is brilliant stuff for long coated breeds. Coat will pop!

Advertisement