Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 doubles worldwide roaming charges for 23million mobile customers

• 01-11-2012 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

And my contract was just terminated with them last September. :)

It probably won't be too long before the rest of them follow's suit, their loss as most people with smart phones will find a wifi spot and use skype and free messaging services.

Mobile network O2 is doubling the cost of using a phone outside of Europe for its 23million customers from the end of November. The operator sent text messages out to customers earlier this week with details of the call and text price hikes, which differ across O2's three non-Europe regions - USA and Canada, Asia Pacific and the rest of the world.

From November 28 the cost of receiving a call in the US will rise from 39p to 90p per minute and making a call will go up from 90p to £1.10. Sending a text will cost 40p, where it previously cost just 25p. Data will also be charged at £6 per MB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-2226168/O2-roaming-charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And my contract was just terminated with them last September. :)

It probably won't be too long before the rest of them follow's suit, their loss as most people with smart phones will find a wifi spot and use skype and free messaging services.

Mobile network O2 is doubling the cost of using a phone outside of Europe for its 23million customers from the end of November. The operator sent text messages out to customers earlier this week with details of the call and text price hikes, which differ across O2's three non-Europe regions - USA and Canada, Asia Pacific and the rest of the world.

From November 28 the cost of receiving a call in the US will rise from 39p to 90p per minute and making a call will go up from 90p to £1.10. Sending a text will cost 40p, where it previously cost just 25p. Data will also be charged at £6 per MB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-2226168/O2-roaming-charges-mobile-network-doubles-text-prices-outside-EU.html
    That is why they need to raise the prices in the first place; mobile phone companies are rapidly losing volume that makes them money (data, SMS and calls).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Nody wrote: »
    That is why they need to raise the prices in the first place; mobile phone companies are rapidly losing volume that makes them money (data, SMS and calls).

By doing this they are further shooting themselves in the foot. As soon as the EU regulates phone and data charges they are seeking other ways of ripping off their customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

By doing this they are further shooting themselves in the foot. As soon as the EU regulates phone and data charges they are seeking other ways of ripping off their customers.

Yep like all companys all there doing is ripping people off, i mean its not like there out to make money or anything....

Nody wrote: »

Yes but like most things people will just turn a blind eye to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

lala88 wrote: »
    Yep like all companys all there doing is ripping people off, i mean its not like there out to make money or anything....

This seems to be your standard response in this forum.

If the folks in Brussels didn't think that the phone companies were ripping people off, they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of forcing them to change the error of their ways within the EU. The EU could have done a lot more to curb these people, but gave in to the whingeing phone companies, and restricted the curbs.

Mobile phone companies are operating an expensive racket.

There are reasonable profits, and then there are off-the-wall PROFITS.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This seems to be your standard response in this forum.

If the folks in Brussels didn't think that the phone companies were ripping people off, they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of forcing them to change the error of their ways within the EU. The EU could have done a lot more to curb these people, but gave in to the whingeing phone companies, and restricted the curbs.

Mobile phone companies are operating an expensive racket.

There are reasonable profits, and then there are off-the-wall PROFITS.

Well seeing as most people seem to think all business do are rip people off and think they should be given everything for free

Well seeing as most people seem to think all business do are rip people off and think they should be given everything for free

You must be misreading most of the forum posts if you honestly believe that.

You must be misreading most of the forum posts if you honestly believe that.

I think its you thats misreading things. I would say 90% of the so called Rip Offs on here are not

I think its you thats misreading things. I would say 90% of the so called Rip Offs on here are not

The only ones on here that I don't really consider to be rip-offs are the ones where two separate jurisdictions are being compared.

Your posts give the impression that there are no rip-offs whatsoever in Ireland, which is nonsense.

The only ones on here that I don't really consider to be rip-offs are the ones where two separate jurisdictions are being compared.

Your posts give the impression that there are no rip-offs whatsoever in Ireland, which is nonsense.

Never said there wasnt did i? More people then not here think everyone is trying to rip them off, more often then not they over look the facts of the matter.

Fact is if you pay for something you cant turn around after and say it a rip off now can you? Like most people here do?

• Advertisement

Never said there wasnt did i? More people then not here think everyone is trying to rip them off, more often then not they over look the facts of the matter.

Fact is if you pay for something you cant turn around after and say it a rip off now can you? Like most people here do?

Some people do find out after the event that they've been ripped off. Not everyone is privy to the details of what other businesses charge when they decide to avail of goods or services.

Some people do find out after the event that they've been ripped off. Not everyone is privy to the details of what other businesses charge when they decide to avail of goods or services.

Yes but most people dont look at why something may cost more in one place then another, just jump to being ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

that source is for O2 in the UK.
    The last I saw, Ireland has been independent of the UK for the past 90 years.

If theres no change in Ireland (yet!) then this is irrelevant as a "Rip off IRELAND" topic until a change is made to the Irish worldwide call structure.

that source is for O2 in the UK.
    The last I saw, Ireland has been independent of the UK for the past 90 years.

If theres no change in Ireland (yet!) then this is irrelevant as a "Rip off IRELAND" topic until a change is made to the Irish worldwide call structure.

I think i seen that the same thing is happening in Russia, so i suppose we can claim we;re being ripped off as well

Precisely, Mobile phone service providers thrive on ripping people through loop holes until such time they are plugged.

Precisely, Mobile phone service providers thrive on ripping people through loop holes until such time they are plugged.

Well if your so worried then just dont have a mobile simple

Well if your so worried then just dont have a mobile simple

I am with Tesco Mobile and don't have any problem.

e35 a month roll over contract, unlimited national calls, texts and data. no baggage or bull and I can walk away from it any time.

If I travel abroad I make sure I understand the T&C or else purchase a local sim card for data and local calls. :)

Advertisement