Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD's....

Options
  • 01-11-2012 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Have decided to bite the bullet & upgrade to a SSD.

Bewildering amount of choice/opinion/reviews/information out there, so perhaps the Gurus here might be able to whittle it down a bit for me :o

I'm thinking that 120/128gb would be sufficient for OS, Office 2010 & browser?

Where I'm getting bogged down is choosing the best controller, from what I gather this is a bit of a moveable feast at the moment :p

Prices seem to range from £60 - 90 across OCZ/Samsung/Crucial drives, but feck me there's a serious amount of models within each make :eek:

My current setup is

Win7 64 bit Ultimate SP1
    ASUS P7P55D-E LX
    12gb RAM
    2.80 Intel Core i7 860
    ATI Radeon HD 5850
    1 TB HDD

Cheers..

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You would probably fit those on a 32GB drive, but i definitely recommend getting the 128GB drive if you can afford it. My top choice would be the samsung 830, second choice would be the crucial m4. The older OCZ drives were supposed to be unreliable but im not sure how the newer generation is faring. Whatever you go for, dont forget to pick up a sata cable also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Bosh wrote: »
    I'm thinking that 120/128gb would be sufficient for OS, Office 2010 & browser?

I've been using Windows 7 & Office 2007 on a 4 GB solid state disk... no problem. ;)

But I'd recommend the 256 GB Samsung 830 Series SSD, one of the best disks available, €175 at Komplett (cheaper at HV or CU in Germany but you'll have to add delivery).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Torqay wrote: »
    I've been using Windows 7 & Office 2007 on a 4 GB solid state disk... no problem. ;)

Windows 7 doesn't let you install it onto a disk smaller than 20GB

Unless you use an unofficial / altered / lite version ;):p

BTW, windows 8 does and it runs much faster on old low spec hardware (have it myself on a 8GB SSD) :)

unkel wrote: »
    Unless you use an unofficial / altered / lite version ;):p

Of course I had to vLite the sh*t out of it, but what can you do when the computer only has a fixed 4 GB SSD. ;)

UqcdD.jpg

(no page file and hibernation)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,465 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

what can you do when the computer only has a fixed 4 GB SSD. ;)

Install W8? :p

Officially the minimum hard disk free space requirement is the same as in W7, but it does let you install. That is on a 8GB SSD, haven't tried 4GB yet!

• Advertisement

Haven't looked into customizing Windows 8 yet. Might do that when someone comes up with a solution to remove Windows Store entirely. ;)

Mind you, 4 GB is quite tricky and to enjoy the benefits of Modern UI tiles, you'll need at least 1366x768, the wee Eee PC only has 800x480 (currently very happy with Crunchbang).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You would probably fit those on a 32GB drive, but i definitely recommend getting the 128GB drive if you can afford it. My top choice would be the samsung 830, second choice would be the crucial m4. The older OCZ drives were supposed to be unreliable but im not sure how the newer generation is faring. Whatever you go for, dont forget to pick up a sata cable also.
    This. Samsung or crucial are the way to go. OCZ are too unreliable. Intel are good but poor value compared to the Samsung 830 or crucial m4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Thanks all,

following the lead from here was able to narrow the research to the Samsung 830 128gb, €99.95 from Komplett.

Thanks for all the input ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Bosh wrote: »
    Thanks all,

following the lead from here was able to narrow the research to the Samsung 830 128gb, €99.95 from Komplett.

Thanks for all the input ;)
    :eek: Man have they have come down in price.

:eek: Man have they have come down in price.

Yep, the 840 Series is out now, also Intel's new 335 series has just hit the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You would probably fit those on a 32GB drive, but i definitely recommend getting the 128GB drive if you can afford it.
    Definitely the bigger the better. I have an 80gb one and I had to keep a close eye on it in the beginning. Everything defaults to the C drive so it was getting full of updates for all the different programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Haven't looked into customizing Windows 8 yet. Might do that when someone comes up with a solution to remove Windows Store entirely. ;)

Mind you, 4 GB is quite tricky and to enjoy the benefits of Modern UI tiles, you'll need at least 1366x768, the wee Eee PC only has 800x480 (currently very happy with Crunchbang).
    Whatever about your conspiracy theories mad man, I'd be interested in this. My tab only has 64gb unformatted. Lots of it is used by the OS atm

Overheal wrote: »
    Whatever about your conspiracy theories mad man, I'd be interested in this. My tab only has 64gb unformatted. Lots of it is used by the OS atm

You familiar with nLite/vLite?

Check their forum, here's a thread re Windows 8. Response #11, Windows 8 ISO apparently reduced to 705 MB, with screenshots. Probably won't be long until session.ini files will be published. If you're new to OS customisation (and I don't mean changing the the wallpaper but shredding the bloody thing to pieces) session.ini files are helpful, but be warned, there is no one fits all solution, you might miss features that others can do very well without (e.g. Windows Store). :D

EyytK.jpg

Apparently the Win 7 Toolkit is working with Windows 8. The WIM Manager allows you to remove components and rebuild the ISO, you can also integrate service packs, updates and driverpacks.

Advertisement