Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons for Magnetron failure in a Microwave.

Options
  • 01-11-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I ask this question as my microwave (2 year old integrated microwave) had a Magnetron failure. Was cheaper to replace it. Got a new integrated one (different brand) and a week into use the Magnetron has failed in it. Seems to much of a coincidence for me. The area is dry and I have no problem with any other appliances. In both microwaves the grill, timer etc was still working. Seemed like it was working but no heat in the food.

The company is going to replace this new one but I am nervous to put the replacement in just in case there is something wrong with the environment that is making the magnetron fail. Any suggestions or just a coincidence?

Thanks

Sue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 suzeybo

If no one knows the answer maybe someone could tell me a site I might find the answer on? Have googled with no success.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Magnetrons are very sensitive to voltage variations. Do you ever notice your lights dipping in brightness?

I had a microwave fail in the past, at the time I thought it was due to lack of ventilation (it wasn't built in, but just fitted into a shelf above my fridge)

I had the magenetron replaced, but it failed again a while later.

Due to other reasons the replacement microwave was located on a lower shelf and I had no further trouble.

BUT a year or so later I had a reason to open up the socket the previous microwave had been plugged into and discovered a very loose terminal, I now think that may have been what caused the previous failures.

No guarantees but it might be a good idea to get someone to check the connections both in the socket you are using for the microwave and all the other associated sockets and wiring supplying that socket (including the dist board!).

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

You might find something in here

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

suzeybo wrote: »
    I ask this question as my microwave (2 year old integrated microwave) had a Magnetron failure. Was cheaper to replace it. Got a new integrated one (different brand) and a week into use the Magnetron has failed in it. Seems to much of a coincidence for me. The area is dry and I have no problem with any other appliances. In both microwaves the grill, timer etc was still working. Seemed like it was working but no heat in the food.

The company is going to replace this new one but I am nervous to put the replacement in just in case there is something wrong with the environment that is making the magnetron fail. Any suggestions or just a coincidence?

Thanks

Sue

The magnetron`s are usually reliable enough, and there are other items in the microwave oven which can fail, with the same outcome as an actual magnetron failure, a non heating oven.

Magnetrons are very sensitive to voltage variations. Do you ever notice your lights dipping in brightness?

I had a microwave fail in the past, at the time I thought it was due to lack of ventilation (it wasn't built in, but just fitted into a shelf above my fridge)

I had the magenetron replaced, but it failed again a while later.

Due to other reasons the replacement microwave was located on a lower shelf and I had no further trouble.

BUT a year or so later I had a reason to open up the socket the previous microwave had been plugged into and discovered a very loose terminal, I now think that may have been what caused the previous failures.

No guarantees but it might be a good idea to get someone to check the connections both in the socket you are using for the microwave and all the other associated sockets and wiring supplying that socket (including the dist board!).

They would certainly be sensitive to a bad connection alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The magnetron`s are usually reliable enough, and there are other items in the microwave oven which can fail, with the same outcome as an actual magnetron failure, a non heating oven.

i've had a couple stop heating-heard they weren't worth repairing?

unfortunately i've forgotten the bit i learnt when i was a electronics student a long time ago so i don't bother much

M cebee wrote: »
    i've had a couple stop heating-heard they weren't worth repairing?

unfortunately i've forgotten the bit i learnt when i was a electronics student a long time ago so i don't bother much

Domestic ones not worth repairing. I used to repair commercial ones for a while in the early 90`s, which were several grand to buy, so they would have magnetrons replaced when required.

Advertisement