Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing wool jumpers.. Advice needed

• 01-11-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

So the OH has gone and bought two h&m jumpers, both with percentages of angora wool in them. The other wool jumper he has is a pain, as it's me who ends up hand washing it in a basin after a couple of wears. I put a fourth one in the wash in a 30min 30degree wash and that didn't go too well :(
    Anyone have any advice on washing them? I genuinely can't imagine every lad in the country who wears a h&m jumper hand washing them weekly!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

Do you have a wool wash or delicates cycle on your machine? The main thing to remember is NO SPIN!!! That's what shrinks it (and hight temp) I find woolite very good too. They take much longer to dry without any spin and lay them out flat on a clothes horse so they don't go out of shape. The weight of the excess water will make it hang funny if it's not laid out flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I always neatly fold delicates and wools and place in a pillow case. Fold the pillow case around them and tie, it stops them getting pulled out of shape in the washing machine. Use woolite or a non-biological detergent. Low spin or non at all - although for woollens I use a gentle spin, otherwise the weight of the water pulls on the garment. Remove from the machine as soon as the cycle finishes, reshape and dry flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

To reshape whilst damp and speed up the drying process after no spin, I lay them on a towel and roll them up like a swiss roll, the works great on full length cashmere dresses.

I leave them to dry out in the utility room they take about a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I wear mainly wool, and found this advice great! http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com/2010/12/how-to-wash-a-wool-sweater/

I just leave it to soak in the basin really, in tepid water, with fairy liquid and some vinegar for BO smells. Then roll it up in a towel and dried flat.

Remember to always store your wool folded, putting it on a hanger stretches them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks a million for that link; yes I learned the hard way from the hangers too... the wool and delicates cycle on my machine both have spin options which is a bit of a nuisance (lazy option) so back to handwashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My ancient machine has a 'spin reduction' button. It means no spin, a jumper weights a ton when the wash is over!!

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

I think its better just to handwash it,make sure the water is not too hot,make sure it is luke warm and the washing powder is fully mixed(only a small amount otherwise you will have clumps of washing powder stuck to your jumper or little grains stuck to it if its not dissolved properly),then leave it soak for about an hour turn it and leave it for a second hour to make sure all the b.o is gone..My trick in drying it is to lie it flat across three or four lines on the washing line..

Advertisement