Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runaway tenant - I need your help

Options
  • 01-11-2012 3:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

Hi i have just discovered my tenant who rented a house from has fled with out paying her rent. They have also not payed their airtricity gas and electric (which was in her name)

I have tried to call her but she is obviously screening her calls (there is an active line just not picking up)

Please can any one tell me what i can do to get my money back? I have done so much for this person and this is what i get in return :mad::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

File a complaint with the PRTB and then just move on. Rent out your place as quickly as you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 theevilman

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info and help, a couple of quick questions if i could.

1. how could i get my money owed to me
    2. if i managed to find her and she refuses what doi i do?
    3. what can the PRTB do for me?

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You file the complaint for unpaid rent with the PRTB. If they rule in your favour, then you can go after the unpaid rent, using all legal means possible, including court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

theevilman wrote: »
    Hi Paul

Thanks for the info and help, a couple of quick questions if i could.

1. how could i get my money owed to me
    2. if i managed to find her and she refuses what doi i do?
    3. what can the PRTB do for me?

Cheers in advance

If you can't make contact with the tenant, then there's nothing you can do really other than file with PRTB. They will contact tenant on your behalf if you choose a 'mediation' or inform them of a hearing if you choose to go for an adjudication. This will take a while, but the sooner you file the better as it takes a while. You can't go to small claims court unless you do the whole PRTB thing first. (BTW do you hold a security deposit for the tenant - if so, does this cover this month's rent?)

Re the utility bills - inform them that she has left - the service was provided to her, not you, and you don't have to pay it.
    Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

It's a long process. You actually need to count yourself lucky that she actually left. She could have stayed, refused to move out whilst not paying rent and you'd have found it hard and long to get rid of her. It can take up to 3 years for that.

If the bills are in her name, ring the service providers and tell them the story. You're not liable for her debt.

If you find her and she refuses all you can do is try to take her to a civil court.

PRTB won't do much for you but they may award damages to you. IE outstanding rent and any contractual rent. Even if they award it, they don't actually have any power to make her pay so you would still need to take a civil case. However I don't think a civil case would be considered until you went through PRTB first.

For the most part, people will advise to take it on the chin and try to minimize the loss by renting the place as soon as possible. It's not nice nor fair at all and I am sorry you found yourself in this mess after helping this tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

theevilman wrote: »
    They have also not payed their airtricity gas and electric (which was in her name)
    The bills will follow her name, so just ensure that you close the bills in her name for your house. She'll get a nice little surprise when she has to use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I THINK you could take her to small claims court,its free to use,or a small admin fee,
    if rent owed is under x amount.
    i think the court deals with sums under 2k,
    i,m not sure ,check with citizens advice bureau.
    of course it may be hard if you don,t know her adress.
    as above you may to bring a case to the ptrb .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

riclad wrote: »
    I THINK you could take her to small claims court,its free to use,or a small admin fee,

See what thought did. The small claims court does not deal with debt collection for one thing. For another any dispute between a landlord and a tenant must be referred to the PRTB unless damages of 60k are claimed. The o/p also needs to put his claim into the PRTB within 28 days or he wont be able to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont think that the small claims court can be used for this kind of matter, can it?

Even if you are going to take this one on the chin and move on it would be well worth it to open a case with the PRTB anyway. Even if you dont plan on persuing the tenant any further, an adjudication against them would show up on their website, so it may be of use to a future potential landlord of this person...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 theevilman

Ok that's great info guys and thank you for your help in this matter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

riclad wrote: »

Its costs 15euro

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

See what thought did. The small claims court does not deal with debt collection for one thing. For another any dispute between a landlord and a tenant must be referred to the PRTB unless damages of 60k are claimed. The o/p also needs to put his claim into the PRTB within 28 days or he wont be able to recover.
    are you sure about the 28 days?

after 28 days with no dispute lodged there is absolutely no way to get rent owed?

Advertisement