Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something fishy

Options
  • 01-11-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

I want to cook something nice for tomorrow night. I have a full frozen lobster (Lidl 5.99), a full side of fresh boneless salmon (9.99 in Superquinn) and a bag of frozen tiger prawns. I would never normally buy frozen prawns but these were a present. Any suggestions come to mind anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Unless you're entertaining I wouldn't be cooking all of these together. Hang on to the lobster and do a nice lobster thermidor. Very delish and very simple. I'd do that as a treat on it's own.

As for the salmon and prawns, it also depends how many you are catering for. If it's just you or you and a partner then I'd probably divide the salmon in half. Cook a simple baked or poached salmon dish with a parmesan crust and then freeze the rest with the prawns which you can then add together to make a lovely creamy fish pie (very comforting in cold weather) or else a nice chowder which I would also add some smoked (undyed) haddock to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Merkin,
    I'm cooking for 4 hungry people and was thinking of a seafood gratin. I've looked up thermidor recipes and I am going to give that a try. It looks delicious. We can just pick at that while having a drink. Could I use the salmon and prawns in a gratin ?

I have never made a seafood gratin but if unsure I always check up BBC Good Food and they have a nice recipe here, they are normally pretty fail safe tbh and this one looks lovely. :) Just add the salmon instead of the scallops and I'd say it will be fine.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/846636/seafood-herb-and-garlic-gratins

I personally don't think a lobster thermidor would be enough for four hungry people, not at all. I know when you get the lobster whole it looks substantial but there is very little meat and if you haven't cooked with it before then you may be disappointed by how little substance there is. Fine for one or two at a push but definitely not four.

Thanks Merkin, that gratin looks delicious and not difficult. Gonna give that a go. Had to laugh when I opened up the lobster and saw how little meat was involved. Hardly worth the effort ! Ah well I have just about enough to garnish the gratin :D
    Thanks for your help

Happy to report that the gratin was delicious and SO easy to make. It's a very handy dish because you can prep it all first and just throw the dishes in the oven for 10 mins. Cheers !

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    Happy to report that the gratin was delicious and SO easy to make. It's a very handy dish because you can prep it all first and just throw the dishes in the oven for 10 mins. Cheers !

Aw that's brilliant.The recipe looks lovely so I think I will give it a try myself too!!

Advertisement