Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Christian Institute building

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I think there was occupancy, as in, a few people living on the top floor, until quite recently.

I do have a bit of a daydream waiting by Alex's, for a bus, if brickwork and building dates catch my eye, for all the tat at ground level, there's a lot of history the eye can pick up on, along the roofs and rafters..

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This building on Georges St https://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.290515,-6.131681&spn=0.000408,0.001321&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.290515,-6.131937&panoid=spjGyqnRqYrOdXs-n8dgvQ&cbp=12,203.82,,0,-2.5

It seems to catch my eye every time I pass it and wonder if it's in use or derelict pretty much?

Anyone know the story with it?
    It was in use six months ago as i was at a party there,they have rooms hired out to different groups for dancing and bridge not sure what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I know the old Dun Laoghaire Workman's Club used to operate from there on some level after they sold their own premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nirb242

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an apartment in a building next to the Christian Institute. The apartment actually looks at the back yard of the Christian Institute building. I was outside the place few days ago during the evening, and it looked a bit creepy. Does anybody know what is it used for? is it still a meeting point for different groups (like mentioned above - dancing etc)? did anyone ever heard about this place in some negative context?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

nirb242 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm thinking of buying an apartment in a building next to the Christian Institute. The apartment actually looks at the back yard of the Christian Institute building. I was outside the place few days ago during the evening, and it looked a bit creepy. Does anybody know what is it used for? is it still a meeting point for different groups (like mentioned above - dancing etc)? did anyone ever heard about this place in some negative context?

Thanks

Yep, the Boogie Man lives there at night! Only codding, you will more that likely think it's an empty building, there's a few groups who meetup there like Bridge and the likes

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 nirb242

Thanks for replying!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭s14barnes

Not an empty building at all . Its a members club.A lot of snooker competitions. Open daily apart from Sunday's. Building is about 125 years old.
    Amalgam wrote: »
    I think there was occupancy, as in, a few people living on the top floor, until quite recently.

I do have a bit of a daydream waiting by Alex's, for a bus, if brickwork and building dates catch my eye, for all the tat at ground level, there's a lot of history the eye can pick up on, along the roofs and rafters..

There still is people living there. And a lot more history inside ;)
    mailforkev wrote: »
    I know the old Dun Laoghaire Workman's Club used to operate from there on some level after they sold their own premises.
    No they didn't really have anything to do with it. They just had some meetings there after they shut down

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What kind of members club, do you know?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What kind of members club, do you know?
    It's a social club and has a licenced bar. Members are mainly from surrounding areas.

Fairly similar to the ablana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I have always wondered what this place was used for. I often see people going in and out at night.

• Advertisement

I have always wondered what this place was used for. I often see people going in and out at night.

If your interested in taking a look inside I'm sure it would be fine

Advertisement