Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone locate these places for me?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 4:14pm

Hey all,

Probably a fairly stupid question, but as I'm not overly familiar with the city, I was wondering if any kind soul out there could give me a google maps/earth/etc. location for the following places (I'm sure they're fairly well known, but I just don't know the layout of the city that well. I can find the Spire and Smyths, but that's about as far as it goes for me).

I'm looking to find out where this building is:

Convention-Centre-Dublin-Design-by-Kevin-Roche-John-Dinkeloo-and-Associates-LLC-588x380.jpg

This bridge:

DublinCalatravaJoyceBridge.jpg

and this area here:

ScreenShot48.bmp

And would anyone happen to know what time the lights turn on at, for each respective location?

Any help is greatly appreciated :) And apologies if it turns out that they happen to be right beside each other, across the road from the Spire :P I see them online a fair bit, but never in person. Will be mooching around Dublin tomorrow so planning to see if I can get a decent photo or two of them all lit up.

Speaking of which, I know there's a place (shopping centre?) in Dublin called the IFSC which is a nuisance for photography (as they don't allow it). None of the above stuff is anywhere near that is it (or likely to cause hassle for taking photos?)

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It's all in and around the docklands.

The first pic is the Convention Centre, the second one is Samuel Beckett Bridge, the third one is in Grand Canal Dock

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The bridge the OP posted is not in the Docklands, it's the James Joyce bridge up near Heuston Station. Both bridges are by Calatrava, hence (I presume) the confusion, but the one he's shown is not the Samuel Beckett bridge.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The bridge the OP posted is not in the Docklands, it's the James Joyce bridge up near Heuston Station. Both bridges are by Calatrava, hence (I presume) the confusion, but the one he's shown is not the Samuel Beckett bridge.

Sorry, my mistake. It's not the Samuel Beckett Bridge indeed, I was just confused about the way, the bridge is illuminated.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help. I'll mooch around a little more in Google Earth and hopefully they shouldn't be too difficult to find, at all. They're quite nice structures (though the last place, with the poles/lights sticking up, seems, while quite good looking, very random).

Looking at the Google Map, IFSC is nearby. Do ye guys happen to know if there are any issues with photographing on any of the locations above?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help. I'll mooch around a little more in Google Earth and hopefully they shouldn't be too difficult to find, at all. They're quite nice structures (though the last place, with the poles/lights sticking up, seems, while quite good looking, very random).

Looking at the Google Map, IFSC is nearby. Do ye guys happen to know if there are any issues with photographing on any of the locations above?

photograph away, they are not area 51, they are all public places

also in your first post you have the IFSC as a shopping centre, this it is most definitely not the letters stand for the IRISH FINANCIAL SERVICES CENTRE which is a shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The last photo (Grand Canal Dock) looks very random from that angle, but if you looked at it from the opposite angle it's a plaza in front of the Grand Canal Theatre, which in itself is an amazing building (IMHO anyway, some may disagree) - it makes much more sense in that context!

No issues that I've ever heard of photographing in/around the IFSC - it's basically just a district, a collection of recently built banks etc from the Customs House down as far as the Point/O2.

That photo of the James Joyce bridge makes it look remarkably good - I think it's the most ill-fitting piece of hardware installed in the last long time - it's completely out of place up there and looks daft IMO. Calatrava's other bridge from the IFSC over to Macken Street is much more fitting, and much more attractive (again, IMO).

I'd be interested to see your photos, OP - will you let us know if/when you post them?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

you know you can reverse image search in google, go to google images, click the little camera icon in the search box and then upload or put the url of an image into the search box and it will find that picture, or similar pictures online (and the websites they are on) for you, perfect for this kind of job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, it's the James Joyce bridge alright, at the bottom of hill opposite main gate at Guinness'. The 123 stops there. Other buses would go along the quays.

As an aside. In the Hack the City expo in Trinity College in July there were two films running in a loop, showing how a group of amateur photographers descended on the IFSC and the security down there threw a hissy fit about it. Same with The Square in Tallaght, near the Luas terminus. There were so many people taking photographs and making videos there wasn't much they could do...

I think I seen that video (or a remarkably similar one) posted on Boards, before.

IFSC is, as far as I know, private property and photography is forbidden on it's grounds (taking photos of it from a public place is grand, but taking photos on the actual property itself is not allowed and security are regularly telling people to go away).

So the photography forum leads me to believe, anyway. Which is why i just want to make sure that the IFSC don't also own/connect/etc. with any of the above stuff.

For some reason I thought the SC if IFSC stood for "shopping centre". :o Haha.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see your photos, OP - will you let us know if/when you post them?

I will indeed, but I doubt they'll be very good. Tomorrow I'll head up and it'll be a bit of a test drive, so to speak (I'm photographing a person, and I'd like to use this stuff as a background), but I've always wanted to get decent photos of these places, so once I know where they are, I reckon I'll plan a second trip out just to specifically photograph them.

Those photos will hopefully be better, but I'd say these structures have been 'shot to death' by every second person already, so I wouldn't expect anything new or exciting that a google image search wouldn't already have.

I thoroughly appreciate everyone's help on this. :)

• Advertisement

I'm not really a professional photographing enthusiast, but I guess, taking those pics at night time or in black/white mode would add a decent effect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I didi photography there at night, no problem. Just watch out, there is quite bad areas nearby.

arleitiss wrote: »
    I didi photography there at night, no problem. Just watch out, there is quite bad areas nearby.

How bad are we talking? Safe with another person or two? I'm not easily frightened (but I'm not Bruce Lee, either, so if you're talking groups of scumbags then...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

How bad are we talking? Safe with another person or two? I'm not easily frightened (but I'm not Bruce Lee, either, so if you're talking groups of scumbags then...).

Just keep an eye out around most of the places. Things can get hairy fairly quick, but the 1st building is on the outskirts of Sheriff ST, not to bad anymore the IFSC would have a lot of addicts around looking for a quick few Euro on a bike so might snatch the camera.

Same for the bridge, area would be inner city again more addicts up that end.

Grand canal no idea, but like all places just keep your head about you.

I know where the first two places are, depending on what you are doing I could come along with you and show you the places.

Ah, I'd say I'll be safe enough. I'll keep my wits about me. Thankfully when I'm out and about you can't just pull things off me. I usually have the camera strapped to me and everything else in a backpack. I'd say it'll be grand. :)

It's a shame that some of the most attractive parts of the city have to have such a reputation. Is there no Garda presence around the place or anything? :(

There would be a Garda presence in the area around the IFSC one of Dublin's biggest stations is a short walk, Store ST Garda Station. But they cover a large area so the presence looks small and it's not to densely populated down that end so not many patrols.

The bridge would be the same, it's just either side of the bridge would get more of a presence.

Again any problems finding the places give me a shout I should be able to guide you to them.

Cheers, msg.

Might actually go looking for a Garda station or two. See if I can fine some of the new cars. Not sure if I'll have time or not though. Must take another trip up for leisure some day soon.

Speaking of which, if I wanted to catch some Gardaí on their new Segways, where would I find those? Just around the city centre, I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

When I was doing photos at night time, I dressed all black and hoodie. Left lenses in my car trunk, and walked around kind of shady/not drawing attention. People didn't even notice me, I enjoyed taking photos freely of anything I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hey KKV, these links will show you where each of those photos are.

James Joyce Bridge
    The Convention Centre
    Grand Canal Square

If you want to have a wander, the nearest Garda Stations to the bottom two would be Pearse Street, Dublin 2 and Store Street, beside Bus Aras.

You'll most likely find the Guards on Segways around Grafton Street, as they seem to have been assigned to Pearse Street Station.

BTW, slightly OT, I'm not sure Pearse St have anything interesting particularly car wise, I think the most exciting thing is a Silver traffic avensis, they do have a load of traffic bikes though. I've seen an unmarked forester in Store Streets district recently though (I thought they were all gone)

arleitiss wrote: »
    When I was doing photos at night time, I dressed all black and hoodie. Left lenses in my car trunk, and walked around kind of shady/not drawing attention. People didn't even notice me, I enjoyed taking photos freely of anything I wanted.

Well I'd most likely be dragging a tripod along with me and the likes, so that wouldn't really be a realistic option :(

MarkMc wrote: »
    Hey KKV, these links will show you where each of those photos are.

James Joyce Bridge
    The Convention Centre
    Grand Canal Square

If you want to have a wander, the nearest Garda Stations to the bottom two would be Pearse Street, Dublin 2 and Store Street, beside Bus Aras.

You'll most likely find the Guards on Segways around Grafton Street, as they seem to have been assigned to Pearse Street Station.

Excellent help! Thank you a lot, MarkMc. I shall take a mooch if given the chance. Either way, I'll come back tomorrow and let you know how I got on.
    :)

• Advertisement

Am I the only person who thinks the National Convention Centre looks like R2D2?

Can't believe how close all this stuff is to the Spire.

I've been on O Connell street loads of times. The only route I'm really familiar with in Dublin is O Connell St. - Stephen's Green. Was always looking for these feckin' buildings and they're only around the corner (conveniently in the one direction I never go).

Either way, though, I'm using MarkMc's links above and exploring the surrounding areas. Seems to be a few locations that look okay for portraiture. Samuel Beckett bridge isn't completed in Google earth, but i eventually found it and it looks pretty good (it's harp shaped, when viewed from the right angle, I'd assume?).

Pearse Square is near Bord Gais Theatre (where the sticky-up lights are) which could be good for general greenery photos, there seems to be docks around that area too. Can anyone access these or are they closed off to only those who have reason to use them (boats or such)?

Must take a further mooch. 24 years of age, in Dublin loads of times and I never turned left when coming off O Connell St. :rolleyes: Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP you'll be fine around the IFSC and surrounding area's both north and south of the river.. You'll find lots of photographers about the place.

The James Joyce bridge, tbh its in poor repair most of the time and there's little to see in the area ~ tbh the bridge and the area have little redeeming features.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There are a few tall buildings in Grand Canal Dock

You won't miss the Altovetro, it's tall glass apartment block, 60m or so

There's the Millenium Tower, once again kinda tall apartment block but kinda boring

The Montevetro on Barrow Street is a short walk from the Theatre, it's an office block occupied by Google, that part of the docks is nicknamed Google Docks due to 3 Google owned office blocks being on that street

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    There are a few tall buildings in Grand Canal Dock

You won't miss the Altovetro, it's tall glass apartment block, 60m or so

There's the Millenium Tower, once again kinda tall apartment block but kinda boring

The Montevetro on Barrow Street is a short walk from the Theatre, it's an office block occupied by Google, that part of the docks is nicknamed Google Docks due to 3 Google owned office blocks being on that street

The buildings you've mentioned would be good for some general landscape/architectural photography (which I certainly plan to do, perhaps next week or the week after, when I get a chance to explore tomorrow.

What I'm trying to do at the moment (tomorrow) is find nice backgrounds. The Conference centre looks great, as, if I shoot my 'model' from the opposite side of the river, the Convention's colours will look really well (with any luck) and will make for a nice background.

I'm hoping the sticky-uppy light thingies beside the Bord Gais theatre will make for a nice lighting background/foreground, too.

makikomi wrote:
    The James Joyce bridge, tbh its in poor repair most of the time and there's little to see in the area ~ tbh the bridge and the area have little redeeming features.

Well I just came across it in a google search and figured it's weird arching kinda shape would look well behind someone. Would have to be an evening photo, though.

Does anyone know if the lights at the Bord Gais theatre or the Conference Centre turn on at any particular time? Or are they always on, or..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cheers!

Couldn't find that anywhere on the map last night. Everytime I put it in (it'd automatically load in the Townsend part) the view would pull back to include stuff in the rest of the country.

Probably won't get much chance today, but I'll be bookmarking the thread so I can head up next week or the week after to wander aimlessly and get a few nice shots with any luck. :)

There are a few parts of the docks that would make a good photo, loads of pipes and cranes if you head towards the area where the tankers and container ships dock, but I think there could be a restriction on photos in the port area.

There's also a part of the port where you can get a great view of the Seafront along Clontarf , it's the place where the ending/start of Adam & Paul was filmed. (You do have to climb over a wall and it can be fairly hairy if the sea conditions are lively as there is not much protection)

Down the road from the Convention Center is the o2 also, after that would be the entrance to the Port Tunnel. If you navigate your way to it 5/7 mins from the o2 the Sea Front along Clontarf also.

As for the Garda stations, Store ST keep there cars in a lock up out the back Pearse ST dose not have that much. Clontarf always have a nice selection on offer out the front. Dunno what the members would be like for taking photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

They're fairly sound in Clontarf, I'd imagine they'll help. Of the top of my head, they've a 04 transit, a citroen van, a marked 11 avensis saloon, a marked focus, an unmarked focus and an unmarked corolla. They may have more, but thats all I can think of.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

I'm absolutely shattered. All day on my poor little feet. Missed the sunset at the Conference centre as I was a little lost while coming from St. Stephen's Green, but all in all a good little day out and about. Conference Centre is a super looking building; only disappointment was that it was all red (I thought each ring would be a different colour, or they'd all change/cycle colours).

Some quick random shots, that haven't seen much editing (as I'm tired), but to give an idea as one or two people asked me to post photos;

11FF16AE5C37451B9A76F82AF5508DA9-0000333410-0003063176-00800L-6F2F6D4BF2944A51BB0AB41132900D22.jpg

B310C1C86A514AB9BF909BDE4A6C643C-0000333410-0003063173-00800L-8B880037DB0B448493AF05C0EBFD7F6A.jpg

170C770754A14FE8933FBC88A1ABC246-0000333410-0003063174-00800L-F503BF0D1CE44CEA8D03606351EEFA6F.jpg

C328259EE76143D99700C42C95DA7113-0000333410-0003063200-00800L-6E9E432B66CB4DD5B1576C5D7C533C83.jpg

I have a fair few others, but not really involving/using the above mentioned locations as much. Just general out and about shots (a few taken in St. Stephen's Green, though).

Found Store St. Garda station, and one of the roller doors was open. Was going to take a wander in and see but thought I'd best not. Found a Segway Garda and he said if I wanted to get a few shots of the Segways I'd be best to call the Press Office, so I may make an effort to get in touch with them on Monday morning.

I actually seen the two Segways in Stephen's Green. Garda told me they were looking for a thief/had a robbery reported. Segways look like pretty good kit, in that they could definitely cover a lot more ground on them, but I do admit I found it a little comical looking at them flying around and criss-crossing by each other in St. Stephens Green.

Anyway, my bed is calling!

Can I ask, before I go, aside from the above locations (Conference Centre, Red poles at Bord Gais Theatre and the bridges) are there any other colourfully lit up building around the place?

There was a building (IFSC?) with green lights on it I seen, but it didn't look overly impressive (though I was heading home at the time and wasn't in the mood to give it a going over). I did notice (from across from the Conference Centre) that it did cast a pretty impressive green glow across the river. Would be good to know of other colourful places.

MSG, you're incredibly helpful and seem to have some pretty good ideas. If I get any luck with getting the go-ahead from the press office for the segways or getting a look at any new cars, would you like me to give you a shout and we can meet up and take a Garda related wander together?

Advertisement