Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi all,

I got my second tattoo at the weekend and it was all healing up nicely. Then this morning, as I was washing it, I noticed a load of flaking ink. I applied bepanthan again a few hours ago and loads of ink came off on my hands. Is this normal? I'm very worried :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Perfectly normal, will happen with some tattoos and not others as things can heal differently - but don't worry yourself too much about it!

Don't go out of your way to peel anything, keep treating it as you normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Thanks so much for the reply Maximoose, that's put my mind at ease. And worst case scenario, I can get it touched up. Am hoping it won't come to that though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

it happened my first tattoo and I didnt need to get it touched up at all, although it is my only tattoo that will get itchy from time to time and the lines feel a bit raised when I scratch it. But my other ones are fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Happened with my second tattoo and it was totally fine, no touch ups needed. Just treat it gently and if skin is peeling off too, don't pull at it, let it come off in its own time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Hi,

Thanks a million for the responses, it's so good to know there's a supportive community of people who know what they're talking about, I haven't a clue :)

Flaking and itching has died down a bit. That's good to know you didn't need a touch up Lynda, hopefully it'll be the same for me as it was in a very sore place- ouchie!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yeah, similar happened to my Freddy Kreuger tattoo, as there was a LOT of black in the hat. As previously said, don't be tempted to pick anything off. Keep putting cream on it and it'll heal nice in time.

So...what did you get and where did you get it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ladywhiteraven

Yeah, don't worry about it, it is just the excess ink which gets trapped in the dead skin as the tattoo heals. When the dead skin peels off, it is usually the same colour as the bit of tattoo it came from, it freaked me out when this happened with my first tattoo.

Also the newly formed skin under the dead skin will look greyish and wrinkly for the first week, making your tattoo look 'faded'. Just keep putting on the Bepanthen till the peeling stops, the switch to unscented moisturiser if you like

Advertisement