Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Tactics vs Best Players

Options
  • 01-11-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭

Just musing to myself, is it better to have a good tactical set up, or the best players on the field? Like if you have 3/4 really good strikers, should you lost out on a midfield so that you can have them on the field, or are you safer/better off having a more solid tactical setup?

I'm toying with switching from 4-4-2 (with 1 CM and 1 AM) to a 3-5-2 (with 2 CM and 1 AM), but it would mean benching one of my 2 CDs who are both great.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good tactical setup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If I was to play only my best players, I'd be playing something like 2-2-6 every week, instead I play a 4-1-1-2-2 and it's served me incredibly well over the past few versions. It gets imported and tweaked a little every time I start a new game.

It's so effective, it got QPR to only miss out on Champions League football in the first season on goal difference alone. The better players won't even consider a move to me, so it is largely down to tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Tactics tactics tactics. I've even gone so far as to sell some of my best players, simply because they weren't effective in the role I was asking of them. I also find players to fit my system rather than alter my system to fit them. Mainly because its so effective. Every team I take over, I immediately switch to what I was using before. If my players aren't performing well after the first few months, then I start looking for replacements for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The best tactic is actually a kind of cheat.
    Its called the grid system, 3 strikers, 2 midfield, 1 DM, 4 defenders
    It exploits weakness's in the game and you pretty much win every match

So yeah - its tactics over players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Where's the fun in that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I used it before with varying success in FM12, didnt know it was a cheat though, lost 3 UCL finals in 5 years though, couldnt beat Barca. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I tried it after reading about it here. Took the San Marino job so decided they would be a good test. Havent played a decent team yet, but have lost both friendlies thus far. If it gets any progress with a hopeless San Marino (all players are greyed out), then I'll class it as great.

Still using my own tactic for QPR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Been trying it out over the last few days. If you read the threads based on that "exploit" tactic you'd notice its people playing with teams that have international strikers or the ability to invest in them. Having 3 top flight strikers in front, its no surprise there is going to be a high amount of goals scored.

Doesn't work in anything other than top level. Lower level you are too exposed in defense. Think you'd be better off with a sweeper instead of a DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Tried that grid system with Napoli for half a season and didn't work at all. And I don't think it's down to the players:

Vorm
    F Fernandes E Garay M Musacchio Felipe
    W Gargano
    F Melo Hamsik
    E Lavezzi E Cavani A Ljajic

Finished 6th after previous seasons of 1st and 2nd. Think it'll be a case of going back to 4-2-2-2 next season

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

System I used for my Chelsea save was :

GK : Sweep keeper

LB : Attacking, over lapping
    LCB : Defender
    RCB : Cover
    RB : Attacking, over lapping

CM : Advanced Playmaker, Attack
    CM : Box to Box midfielder, Support

ALM : Inside Forward, Attack, rarely cross
    ACM : Advanced Playmaker, Attack, Roaming, rarely shoot, carry ball and through balls often.
    ARM : Inside Forward, Attack, rarely cross

CF : Poacher, Attack,

Served me very well in the league, won 36 games, drew 2 scored 120 goals, conceeded 25.

K/O of both domestic cups early due to the youngsters playing, won the UCL, beating UTD in the final.

Brought in Hummels and Kross and sold Ivanovic, Mikel & Cahill, those were the major changes.

Got sick of it so going to start a LoI save with Cork City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement