Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs - Why do players get injured

Options
  • 01-11-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Cant edit the title - Should be why do players get injured?

Is it me or is the some curse on spots regards players fitness? Over the years i have supported them there has always been long term injuries of or best better players especially when they are getting into their stride.

Mabbutt
    Sick Note
    King
    Parker
    VdV
    Woodgate
    Ziege
    Carr
    Redknapp

At the moment we have half a team out. It just seems that talismen are always knackered.
    ade
    Dembele
    Kaboul
    Benny
    Parker

Just something i thought would be interesting to discuss

Gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

gar wrote: »
    Cant edit the title - Should be why do players get injured?
    Changed that for you.

think its the same at all clubs tbh. Whether its the amount of training they do and the type I dont know. These guys are very finely tuned meaning the slighest thing going wrong and they break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Utd are the same, think the topped the injury list last season. I think we ended up 2nd or 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ah it's part and parcel of football. Every club will have the same complaints, sure United played 2 central midfielders at centre half a few times last season, I don't think we have ever been that bad.

While we all moan about injuries, myself included, at the end of the day, it's just another excuse...

Example, we were missing Dembele and Bale (not injured I know but missing) against Chelsea, yes we missed them and we can use it as an excuse, but at the end of the day, the fellas on the pitch were very poor and they are the ones who can effect the game, not the ones in the physio room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Some clubs just have poor systems in place. A new manager comes in with his own staff and fitness guy and they may or may not be any good. Even premiership football would not rank highly in terms of the quality of s&c support given to players.

In terms of a sports science role i know some people at chelsea were glad to see AVB go as he was very much old school in that regard.

Utd have invested millions in a new medical and science centre this year, so it will be interesting to see if that improves their injury rate over the coming seasons.

City on the other hand have invested heavily in sports science and still are, interestingly, city lost a total of 186 days lost to injury, Utd lost 1681 days in total to injuries.
    Compared to rugby, soccer has a very poor record with the number of non contact injuries that occur. Speaking with the polish performance coach the range of quality physical prep amongst the polish squad at the euros just gone ranged from non existent to excellent, so it varies from club to club.

West Ham and newcastle have top s&c coaches and i would expect there rates of non contact injuries to be relatively small over the season.

I would fancy liverpool to struggle towards the end of the season as they recently parted ways with Darren Burgess who would have been held in extremely high regard amongst s&c and sports science fraternity, Rodgers wanted him to have a much lesser role this year and he has now left, gone back to the AFL which incidentally, has significantly lower over use injury rates than premiership soccer (i.e injuries not caused by impacts, collisions etc).

Some clubs do it well, some dont, Spurs wouldnt be renowned for doing it well with the first team im afraid!

Functional movement screening, GPS data, flexibility tests, mood state, recovery protocols etc would be seen as basic interventions in preventing injuries in a lot of sports, i know a lot of clubs would lag way behind in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Dembele out until Xmas at least, needs a hip operation. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Are you sure? I've heard quotes he made need surgery but nothing confirmed.

On the plus side Parker is due back earlier than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

maybe our new partner club - Real something I think they are called will lend us one of the players off their bench until next year. Some fella Lucas Modrik I think is his name is a central midfielder.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

What will parker offer ? Are we going to drop sandro who has been our best player this season and offers more going forward then parker?

I cant see scottie getting back into the team unless we play both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

mickman wrote: »
    What will parker offer ? Are we going to drop sandro who has been our best player this season and offers more going forward then parker?

I cant see scottie getting back into the team unless we play both of them

Strength in depth. Parker was arguably our best player last season....:confused::confused: Are you saying he is superfluous to our requirements? Should Sandro play every game and run himself into the ground?

If we had Parker instead of Livermore/Hudd we probably wouldn't crumble against a weak Norwich team.

• Advertisement

Dembele's physio on twitter today "@movetocure: On my way to deliver @mousadembele injuryfree to his club @SpursOfficial" thank fcuk for that!

Also, Parker back training with the first team as of today, they're both gonna add some well needed steel to the midfield!

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hopefully Dembele stays injury free for the remainder of the season. Dare say Sandro could do we a break also. He's been our star performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

How long are all our injured players out for? Wondering how long before the likes of Kaboul, Parker, BAE etc are back in the starting line up?

Cianan2 wrote: »
    How long are all our injured players out for? Wondering how long before the likes of Kaboul, Parker, BAE etc are back in the starting line up?

Parker back in light training, hopefully he'll be fit for the xmas period, the other 2 have yet to resume any sort of training I don't think, so it looks like the new year for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

We never seem to get a player back earlier than expected, but this one is taking a very long time. At least we're getting Benny back, which will mean Jan can go into CB with either Dawson or Caulker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Its not the end of the world, I want to see Daws get a run in the team alongside Caulker or Jan.

Kabaul will be back and match fit by the end of Feb hopefully when the cup games, EL games and EPL are coming thick and fast and the others need resting!

Kabaul will be back and match fit by the end of Feb hopefully when the cup games, EL games and EPL are coming thick and fast and the others need resting!

Good point, if we have him back once the EL starts back up, we'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

have to say our injuries this season have been few compared to other seasons,has AVBS training methods reduced this or just a coincidence,dont have exact stats but I remember seasons recently where we had 6-10 players out with injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

AVB seems to rotate more, he has no problem swapping around the players especially defenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    AVB seems to rotate more, he has no problem swapping around the players especially defenders
    would agree ,Harry flogged the same 11 in league games and brought on defoe for 10-20 mins especially if we needed a goal.squad has more balance now for cover ,only place where we might be light is an out and out striker i.e Suarez-dont like him but fine player,Dzeko if he was available -good finisher

Kaboul back training today... Good timing for the run in!
    http://threeandin.com/2013/02/17/kaboul-close-to-tottenham-return/

Kaboul back training today... Good timing for the run in!
    http://threeandin.com/2013/02/17/kaboul-close-to-tottenham-return/

good stuff, if him caulker and vert are our 3 centre halves over the next couple of years, we'll be ok.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    good stuff, if him caulker and vert are our 3 centre halves over the next couple of years, we'll be ok.

Can slot in nicely at RB too! Strange one, he's apparently the fastest player at the club:confused:

Can slot in nicely at RB too! Strange one, he's apparently the fastest player at the club:confused:

Faster than Bale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Faster than Bale?
    It seems so,Walker said Kaboul was the fastest in the club over 100 meters.

Faster than Bale?

Apparently, faster than Lennon too:eek:

In fairness to him he had a great end of season at RB when we qualified for CL including that assist for Crouch v City, more of the same please Younes!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Apparently, faster than Lennon too:eek:

Over 100 meters, yes I could imagine that. Over 10-15 meters - no way surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Over 100 meters, yes I could imagine that. Over 10-15 meters - no way surely?

I though when he said that he was taking the p!ss out of Kaboul.

No way is he faster than Bale.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »

I though when he said that he was taking the p!ss out of Kaboul.

No way is he faster than Bale.

Only that Bolt fella is faster than Bale IMO ;-)

Advertisement