Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heater problem.

Options
  • 01-11-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Perhaps our resident expert might shine some light on this one..

Havn't used the heater in a while but it worked perfectly a month ago. This week it is lighting and heating the water without a problem but when I switch it onto heat it cuts in and out constantly.

There is no red light on the unit but I can hear the relay? clicking in and out constantly.. I can hear the fan starting and then it cuts out... the outlets I can feel warm but air is not blowing out..

that is the best description I can give of the problem..

all help appreciated..

edit.. meant to say it is a truma heater in a 1998 hymer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭runner2011

Not an expert in any shape or form but had a similar problem on a newer Truma model. The water was heating ok but not the hot air ... lots of clicking in and out of the relays but unlike yours the red light would come on on heat mode only but not on water only..turned out to be a near empty gas bottle so i presume low pressure had something to do with it. Changed the bottle for a full one and worked straight way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Macspower wrote: »
    Perhaps our resident expert might shine some light on this one..

Havn't used the heater in a while but it worked perfectly a month ago. This week it is lighting and heating the water without a problem but when I switch it onto heat it cuts in and out constantly.

There is no red light on the unit but I can hear the relay? clicking in and out constantly.. I can hear the fan starting and then it cuts out... the outlets I can feel warm but air is not blowing out..

that is the best description I can give of the problem..

all help appreciated..

edit.. meant to say it is a truma heater in a 1998 hymer

Until the expert chimes in, my 2 cents worth. It's not a relay, it's the solenoid valve that let's the gas in that's more likely clicking. It has 2, a low flow one for hot water, and low heat, and a second high flow one for high heat. It sounds like a shortage of gas to keep the thermocouple hot when the heater tries to ramp up onto high heat. Possible causes are; partially blocked gauze on the valve input, incorrectly flowing gas reg, bad gas bottle , the Truma circuit board or similar. First thing is try a new bottle , then a new gas reg. then you can start panicking !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Father in law had the same problem with the regulator on his hymer swing from the same era due to plasticiser in the rubber hose as outlined here:

http://www.a-tconsulting.co.uk/caravan_tech/gas_matters.html#Bulkhead_regulator_failures

He opted for a gaslow stainless hose and a new regulator instead of trying to move the regulator to a new height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

paddyp wrote: »
    Father in law had the same problem with the regulator on his hymer swing from the same era due to plasticiser in the rubber hose as outlined here:

http://www.a-tconsulting.co.uk/caravan_tech/gas_matters.html#Bulkhead_regulator_failures

He opted for a gaslow stainless hose and a new regulator instead of trying to move the regulator to a new height.

I actually posted a thread warnin about this nearly 2 yrs ago. It's oil in the gas, harming the diaphragms of the gas reg, with wall mounted regs, That is much more the cause, not the pipe breaking down. It happens even on installs with no rubberised hose, such as LPG tank installs.

Advertisement