Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 Battery Life

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Armonline wrote: »
    It depends on what type of apps. Generally, most apps in the 'multitasking' dock are not actually running.
    Except going by the history of apps, not all apps are well behaved and they have been found to have been making contact periodically with their home sites or home servers, causing wifi and battery drain. After starting to adopt this practice last week my already good battery life was improved in my opinion ... though not proven by any actual measurement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I find my battery shocking, especially when I am browsing on 3G, travelling to and from work. It might go down 15% - 20% in 30 odd mins or so.

Is that the same for everyone? that cant be right.

Davexirl wrote: »
    I find my battery shocking, especially when I am browsing on 3G, travelling to and from work. It might go down 15% - 20% in 30 odd mins or so.

Is that the same for everyone? that cant be right.

Of course not. What steps have you taken to try to correct this drain ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Piliger wrote: »
    Of course not. What steps have you taken to try to correct this drain ?

I turned off all location services except for Find my iPhone, brightness is turned down, I have siri turned off, I have most of my notifactions turned off.

I restored the phone on Saturday, set it up as new and still I notice the major drain is when I am on 3G browsing on Safari, Facebook, twitter.

I got the phone on launch day up in Belfast, a friend of mine is also finding the same problems with his phone too.

I moved up to the 5 from a 4 and never had to turn anything off on my iphone 4 everything was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Battery has been excellent since I got the phone that was until today stand by 5hrs 7 mins Usage 1Hr 14 mins down to 54% now. Not good if this keeps up back to Apple it goes.

• Advertisement

Davexirl wrote: »

I turned off all location services except for Find my iPhone, brightness is turned down, I have siri turned off, I have most of my notifactions turned off.

I restored the phone on Saturday, set it up as new and still I notice the major drain is when I am on 3G browsing on Safari, Facebook, twitter.

I got the phone on launch day up in Belfast, a friend of mine is also finding the same problems with his phone too.

I moved up to the 5 from a 4 and never had to turn anything off on my iphone 4 everything was on.

I have my phone set up exactly the same and I'm still seeing a big drain although I am not browsing apart from posting this message. Now 49%

Just an update battery has been dropping 5% every 20mins have contacted Apple for return on Monday here's hopeing the new one will be ok.

Have you tackled the Safari bookmarks issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Noticed the iPhone 5 seems to charge a lot quicker than any previous iPhone i've had. Not even the fast charge to 80% but it gets from 0% - 100% in less than 2 hours connected to my MBP. Not sure of actual time but i'm interested to see how quick it will charge when directly plugged into the wall adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Just an update battery has been dropping 5% every 20mins have contacted Apple for return on Monday here's hopeing the new one will be ok.

Was there any hassle changing it? Mine goes down about a percent a minute when the screen is on, little bit better when Im not using it. Lost over 50% on a 5 h bus ride today - while it was on standby, pretty much everything turned off....unless Im missing something thats a major battery drain.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

avalon68 wrote: »

Was there any hassle changing it? Mine goes down about a percent a minute when the screen is on, little bit better when Im not using it. Lost over 50% on a 5 h bus ride today - while it was on standby, pretty much everything turned off....unless Im missing something thats a major battery drain.....

If by saying it goes down 1% per minute when the screen is on, means that you're using it for stuff then that sounds about right. (I had the same level of battery on my iPhone 4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Mine is pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Piliger wrote: »
    not all apps are well behaved and they have been found to have been making contact periodically with their home sites or home servers, causing wifi and battery drain.

Standard apps can't perform actions like this indefinitely. They can request additional time to perform background tasks (e.g. finish an upload/download) upon closing, but the system will terminate the task after this time (usually around 10-15 mins IIRC). After that time, the app can't start a new task.

Only apps that request special permissions, such as GPS navigation apps, VoIP, and Bluetooth accessory apps can run indefinitely in the background. Apple are quite strict on these permissions during app review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

faceman wrote: »
    If by saying it goes down 1% per minute when the screen is on, means that you're using it for stuff then that sounds about right. (I had the same level of battery on my iPhone 4)

just checking the time etc. not on wifi or 3g or anything. I might have done that 3 or 4 times total and the battery lost about 50% during the bus ride. Seems like a huge amount of battery usage to me....Like how long would it last if I actually needed to surf the net for a while. I like the phone but at this point Im not sure Ill keep it - I really dont want to have to be making sure it gets charged up 2 or 3 times a day. If I have to turn everything smart off to get through the day I may as well go back to my nokia.....about 8 years old and still lasts a week and a half on a single charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Battery is amazing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

mad muffin wrote: »
    Battery is amazing :eek:

Wow that's some going. So can you tell us what sort of setup you have?

wush06 wrote: »
    Wow that's some going. So can you tell us what sort of setup you have?

Wifi/3G/GPS on always

No push at all back light at 40%

And I just let the battery run down a couple of time since I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Leave it on all the time and no issues at all!
    Also I find Airplay over Bluetooth uses less battery than over AirPlay over wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bluetooth 4.0 which is in the iPhone 4S and 5 can be pretty much left on all the time. as soon as it's out of range of anything it goes into sleep mode, very little battery drain.

myself however think bluetooth is a horrible standard so i leave it off 100% of the time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the older chips in the iphone 4 and below would yup, it was brutal.

i compare it to when you're in and out of coverage and when your cell chip has to work overtime to grab a connection to the cell tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Leave it on all the time and no issues at all!
    Also I find Airplay over Bluetooth uses less battery than over AirPlay over wifi

AirPlay over Bluetooth? What's this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I'm having a terrible time with the iPhone 5 battery..

Time since last full charge:
    Usage 5 hours, 26 minutes
    Standby 7 hours, 9 minutes

It's now at 1%.

Not using Wifi, just 3G. This can't be normal?

Shzm wrote: »
    I'm having a terrible time with the iPhone 5 battery..

Time since last full charge:
    Usage 5 hours, 26 minutes
    Standby 7 hours, 9 minutes

It's now at 1%.

Not using Wifi, just 3G. This can't be normal?

Delete all apps from the multi task tray.

Plug iphone into charger.

Hold home button+sleep/wake button simultaneously.

Let go when the screen goes blank.

Phone will reboot.

Let it charge and see how you go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

mad muffin wrote: »
    Delete all apps from the multi task tray.

This is unlikely to help anything. Apps appearing in the tray are suspended while running in the background (i.e. not using any CPU cycles, antennae etc). It is possible that bugs can allow them to pursue minute amounts of power but this is unlikely as the multitasking APIs don't allow them to do much. Rebooting the phone will have much the same affect anyway.

cornbb wrote: »
    This is unlikely to help anything. Apps appearing in the tray are suspended while running in the background (i.e. not using any CPU cycles, antennae etc). It is possible that bugs can allow them to pursue minute amounts of power but this is unlikely as the multitasking APIs don't allow them to do much. Rebooting the phone will have much the same affect anyway.

I know. It doesn't hurt though.

I never delete the apps there normaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

If your usage consists of internet browsing (safari/facebook etc) and downloads using 3G as the only source for internet will drain the battery much quicker than using Wifi. If you have a wifi connection available definitely use it instead of 3G.

What apps are you using and what are the other settings like (brightness/push etc)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I would use Wifi, however it's on the brink at the moment, so it's 3g only till that's sorted.

Brightness would be about 25%? Push is off.

Usage this morning would have been a bit of browsing, pocket planes and viber and I was at 45% before lunch time...

Will charge it to 100% this evening, leave it unplugged overnight and see what I'm left with in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

mmmm... how do I get the usage to show the time since last charge? And what's the point of it saying 'usage times will be shown after phone is fully charged'? Don't I want to know the usage times when it's half full? :rolleyes:

235475.jpg

Advertisement