Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners

Options
  • 01-11-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey everyone,

Having finished off my Asics Kayano 18's at this years DCM I am looking for a replacement.

I am looking for a lighter runner that is very durable and supportive. I find the Kayano great in terms of build quality and support but they now feel a bit bulky and 'heavy-duty'. I have quite a neutral running style. I am a 5-6 day a week runner with average milage of 55 plus miles. I am aiming towards more marathons next year and maybe a 50k race.

Thanks!

Comments

recommendations

nike lunarglide 4

new balance 890 v2

both a lot lighter than kayano's but good neutral runners around 10 ounces - 30% lighter than your Kayano. both pretty durable.

890 v2 also has a lower heel to toe drop (difference in height between heel and toe) encouraging a more midfoot / forefoot strike which is desirable.

by the way, there's evidence that runners will last up to 50% longer if alternated between two pairs, instead of just using one pair all the time - allows sweat to dry out and material in sole to reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Be careful going from the ASICS Kayano which is a highly structured guidance shoe to a neutral shoe.

Your body will have become accustomed to the support given by the Kayano and you will have a period of change where your body re-adjusts to the lack of this guidance in the neutral shoes, potentially causing injury.

If you are a neutral runner you should not have been in the Kayano in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TonFla

Hey. Thanks for the advice. I made a mistake in buying the Kayano's. I did the classic 'buy the most expensive runners in the shop' routine. They have never once troubled me until the week or two before the marathon were I realised that they were finished but was too frightened to change in case. Better the devil you know! That's a good point regarding injury prevention and will seriously consider it. Is it too risky to move to racers after the Kayano's?

Thanks

TonFla wrote: »
    Hey. Thanks for the advice. I made a mistake in buying the Kayano's. I did the classic 'buy the most expensive runners in the shop' routine. They have never once troubled me until the week or two before the marathon were I realised that they were finished but was too frightened to change in case. Better the devil you know! That's a good point regarding injury prevention and will seriously consider it. Is it too risky to move to racers after the Kayano's?

Thanks

you don't need to move to racer straight away. plus, racers are not for extended high-mileage training - they're for races... unless you're a very biomechanically efficient and light-weight athlete.

those runners that I mentioned and ones like them will seem way lighter that your kayano's but work for extended training. there is some support in the lunarglide 4 too so would be an easier transition from Kayano.

Brilliant. I will have a look at those. Does the Gait analysis really indicate the correct runner? Heard excellent things. Thanks again

• Advertisement

TonFla wrote: »
    Brilliant. I will have a look at those. Does the Gait analysis really indicate the correct runner? Heard excellent things. Thanks again

definitely helps. try this at home - pretty much as accurate imo

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/wet-foot-test.html

Cool, will also try that. Had the gait analysis done twice today (different shops to make sure!). Turns out I have a slight overpronation. So, it turns out the Kayano's might have been the right choice.

I tried on both the Nike Lunarglide's +4 and the Adidas Response Stability 4. Really disliked the Nike but liked the Adidas a good bit and might go ahead with these unless I find something else. Think they were c.100e in Dublin but found them online for 54e which is pretty good. I'd get three pairs of these for the price of the Kayanos.!

Cheers

Advertisement