Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abercrombie and ****ing Fitch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

1ZRed wrote: »
    Some people will rant at anything. It's just a clothes shop and people like it, especially considering it used to be much more difficult to get Abercrombie clothes.

Personally I like some of their stuff like a few pairs of jeans and hoodies, and at least now it'll make it way easier to get a hold of a bottle of aftershave when I run out.

Queuing for it though, feck that shít.

that aftershave they have FIERCE that everyone goes on about is dirt, much nicer ones out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

**** uniform,
    They interviewed some of the ones queuing outside there shop and asked them why they wanted this brand the same answer cane back because everyone is wearing it.
    Let these fools part with their money it's creating jobs on the plus side and these sheep will keep the doors open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

kincsem wrote: »
    If you read the article I linked you will get the idea.
    The CEO Mike Jeffries says this:
    Jeffries told him: "We go after the attractive, all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends.
    A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong."

From 2:40 onwards.

Pretty good documentary on the whole too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

that aftershave they have FIERCE that everyone goes on about is dirt, much nicer ones out there.

To you it's dirt, but I like it. I've gone through a few aftershaves and I like that one when they wear off. Not saying it's the best, and I look out for more when I can, but I frequently get complemented on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Oh the perfume they soak the clothes in! I'm allergic to scents, used to start getting asmathic a block away from the stores!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The guy in the video only does the modelling as a part time gig. His regular job is at Goldsmiths where he cuts diamonds with his icy nipples. He donated his chest hair to make merkins for the ladies in Boardwalk Empire. So leave him alone.
    Oh the perfume they soak the clothes in! I'm allergic to scents, used to start getting asmathic a block away from the stores!

I swear they pump it through the air conditioning in shops like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Too many people in this country have a serious craw in their bonnet about something that's really a thing in nothing. If people want to spend all their money in a certain shop, more luck to them, if not then ditto.
    No point in getting worked up over a clothing line.

kowloon wrote: »
    The guy in the video only does the modelling as a part time gig. His regular job is at Goldsmiths where he cuts diamonds with his icy nipples. He donated his chest hair to make merkins for the ladies in Boardwalk Empire. So leave him alone.

So you are saying he once had chest hair?!

I thought they were all born like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

And Berghaus, that German / Swiss sounding company ...
    ... is an outdoor clothing and equipment manufacturer headquartered in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, England.

"There is one born every minute". Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Are they paying ye all for the advertising

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Hogzy wrote: »
    No, you'll go to jail if you sell it. That includes donating it to charity shops. Both you and the charity will all go to jail... for life.
    Indeed:
    THE President of the Saint Vincent De Paul in Limerick has appealed to US clothing giant Abercrombie & Fitch to donate clothes it seized from a Limerick shop to charity rather than destroying them.
    Last week, the Ohio-based company successfully sued McGazz Limited for breaches of the Trademark Act after more than 800 items of clothes were seized from the McGazz store at the Milk Market in June....
    “These goods are absolutely 100% genuine and legal,” he said adding that he has never bought or sold counterfeit goods at the store.
    Peter Clein BL, representing Abercrombie & Fitch, said his client only sells its clothing (including the Hollister Brand) in stores and outlets which it owns and operates.

Not sure if the SVP was threatened with jail, but clearly the idea of needy people (or Limerick shoppers) wearing A&F does not match marketing's vision.

I thought they were all born like that...

Like the pod people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Seriously, why so much animosity over something so innocuous as clothing?
    Abercrombie may be unattractive but so is being a self-righteous, judgemental jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

If they sell clothes, why isn't your man wearing a shirt or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Coppers is going to reek of A&F Fierce for the next few months...

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Too many people in this country have a serious craw in their bonnet about something that's really a thing in nothing. If people want to spend all their money in a certain shop, more luck to them, if not then ditto.
    No point in getting worked up over a clothing line.

I don't think many are getting that worked up about there being expensive clothes that people are willing to buy. They might have qualms about their sub-contracting and staff hiring practices though.

A dying brand that's last gasp is to open worldwide stores. Was in the States for the whole summer and the ONLY people who shop there/wear the brand are generally tourists/high school age bracket (10-15). The quality is great but it is so over-priced and bland, they need to revamp themselves if they're going to survive.

The brand seems alive and kicking over here amongst all ages, but the opening of the store and the availability which comes with it will no doubt lead to the brand becoming far less popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The brand seems alive and kicking over here amongst all ages, but the opening of the store and the availability which comes with it will no doubt lead to the brand becoming far less popular.

So the less availability the more popularity? :confused:

• Advertisement

A dying brand that's last gasp is to open worldwide stores. Was in the States for the whole summer and the ONLY people who shop there/wear the brand are generally tourists/high school age bracket (10-15). The quality is great but it is so over-priced and bland, they need to revamp themselves if they're going to survive.

A few years back everyone was wearing Tommy Hilfiger jumpers and it didn't do much for the brand's "exclusivity appeal". Now I rarely see them in comparison. I think A&F will lose a lot of its appeal if it's so easily available.

Couldn't care less either, that's just the way things go.

Exclusivity or some **** like that...

Although one wouldn't class Abercrombie as an exclusive brand in the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Anyone that queues up to get into a shop has no self respect. Its one thing if its a couple of days before xmas and you need to get a certain present but this was just gimpish behaviour. Just as bad as the gimps that queue up for apple products.

Agreed. If you're queuing up to buy food or to get something for free then fair enough, but to queue up to pay for a consumer product? Fook off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

ANF Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (NYSE)
    33.03 Change: +2.45 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The guy in the video was a hottie, right girls.
    The girl was just fake bitch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

looks like the same stuff I was wearing in 1984.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Has the ranting and raving forum been dissolved or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

xzanti wrote: »
    Who are the 2 goons waving in that video??

Each Other! :eek:

Naturally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Queuing up to be ripped off? ... That is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The guy in the video was a hottie, right girls.
    The girl was just fake bitch though.
    The guy looked like a knob! Most women don't like overly groomed men Teddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

phasers wrote: »
    The guy looked like a knob! Most women don't like overly groomed men Teddy.
    I'm massively overweight and have a face like an arse, I can tell ya they don't like that either.

I still think he hot as **** and most women would love to tap that ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm massively overweight and have a face like an arse, I can tell ya they don't like that either.

I still think he hot as **** and most women would love to tap that ****.
    Any chance you've an arse like a face? Maybe you could lead with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

So from now on all the D4 kids wearing A&F cloths can't pretend they are so cool because they bought them in the US, while the ordinary Joe from outside D4 just had to go down to Dame St?

That's levelling the gap between social classes :pac:
    I would love to introduce my hurl to that gimp in the red jack.
    Pity I didn't have mine at hand when all of them were around town last weekend....

k, I have one of their t-shirts, i barely wear it and it was free... oh cool me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Its a pity we dont have any Irish clothing company that has the pull to make people queue outside and spend loadsa money on them like that.

Whats the chances of O'Neills and Penneys teaming up and having an O&P logo all over their hoodies? Maybe Arnotts and Dunnes can get in the act and call it PADO. Just as long as they don't team up with Elverys or someone, coz I wouldnt fancy having PAEDO written across me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Are they paying ye all for the advertising

I should hope not, because people are saying really negative things about them.

That'd be terrible advertising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭wilfitz

Don't get it myself, I've been in the stores in the states and they do have a load of good looking young wans working there to be fair to them. Their aftershave is nice though, I've bought it a few times, mind you they're charging €92 for 100ml of the stuff. I paid $50 for the same size a few months back.

That's a crazy price. How can they justify chargin that much? Agree that the aftershave is nice and I usually get a bottle or two if I know someone heading to the states!

Two boys at door looked like tools waving at everybody.

And why was the girl not topless like your man? Would of been handy, somewhere to hang your coat up when you are tryin on clothes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

thought the 2 guys waving at the door were bouncers, then I saw they were wearing converse shoes lol gimps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Will probably be closed in 6 months anyway.

Not with such a huge investment. I'd see them doing well just judging from how Hollister is doing.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Not with such a huge investment. I'd see them doing well just judging from how Hollister is doing.
    And they got the same queues and Baywatchish staff at the door when they opened

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Only in begrudery Ireland & Boards.ie can a company open, create 200-300 jobs and still be labelled as tools :confused:

The mind really does boggle at times.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Barna77 wrote: »
    And they got the same queues and Baywatchish staff at the door when they opened

All the ladies wanting to perv at the topless male models.

All the ladies wanting to perv at the topless male models.
    Jaysus no, god forbid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

kincsem wrote: »
    ANF Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (NYSE)
    33.03 Change: +2.45 :pac:
    Yeah! Looks like a great deal! except theyre Down around 50% in the last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

kceire wrote: »
    Only in begrudery Ireland & Boards.ie can a company open, create 200-300 jobs and still be labelled as tools :confused:

The mind really does boggle at times.........

300 jobs helping to flog Chinese made shoite over here and bringing money out of Ireland to the big parent company.

Nothx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Everyone goes on about how comfortable their hoodies are but I've never ever bought an uncomfortable hoodie.

I've got a really comfortable one that I bought in H&M - it was 30 euro. What makes the A&F ones sooooo much better?

They're not, people tell themselves that a&f hoodies are "more comfortable" in order to justify the money they spend on them. "I buy it cos it's more comfortable" sounds better than "i buy it cos i think abercrombie is cool and i like their style".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Ha, you would think they would be able to afford to give their staff new pants for the opening instead of those ones with the holes in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

:rolleyes: The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I wouldn't say 6 months! Companies of that size would give it a bit longer!
    However what's the costs of a store that size?
    With rent of 750000 and rates as well as utilities and 300 staff Maybe 1.5 million as a conservative estimate! At that rate it's around 20000 jumpers after vat is taken off!

That's a lot of stock one has to sell just to brake even! If they can pull it off fair play to them though! But with a recession as bad as it is it won't be easy for them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eth0 wrote: »
    300 jobs helping to flog Chinese made shoite over here and bringing money out of Ireland to the big parent company.

Nothx.

While in the mean time paying their staff who in turn go out and spend it in the domestic economy such as bars, shops, local retail etc.

It these kind of companies that are helping reduce unemployment (1000 less in October alone).

By your logic we shouldn't allow Foreign companies set up here as they take their profits home such as apple, dell, intel etc etc etc

I for one, welcome the store.

Advertisement