Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abercrombie and ****ing Fitch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

kceire wrote: »
    While in the mean time paying their staff who in turn go out and spend it in the domestic economy such as bars, shops, local retail etc.

It these kind of companies that are helping reduce unemployment (1000 less in October alone).

By your logic we shouldn't allow Foreign companies set up here as they take their profits home such as apple, dell, intel etc etc etc

I for one, welcome the store.

Apple, dell, intel export quite a bit of stuff and bring money into the place. Abercrombie are only here to empty the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

While in the mean time paying their staff who in turn go out and spend it in the domestic economy such as bars, shops, local retail etc.

It these kind of companies that are helping reduce unemployment (1000 less in October alone).

By your logic we shouldn't allow Foreign companies set up here as they take their profits home such as apple, dell, intel etc etc etc

I for one, welcome the store.

Don't get the posters wrong. We welcome the money and employment.

What we don't welcome are amercanized, posh twats, wannabes and supposed "beautiful people" freezing they're sad holes off on a bitterly cold morning to buy overpriced shoite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

File under Conspicuous Consumption. The thing that surprises me is that the shop is in central Dublin, and not out at UCD, where A&F has ruled for at least 5 years now. :rolleyes:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Only in begrudery Ireland & Boards.ie can a company open, create 200-300 jobs and still be labelled as tools :confused:

The mind really does boggle at times.........

One shop 300 jobs? I doubt that very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

eth0 wrote: »

300 jobs helping to flog Chinese made shoite over here and bringing money out of Ireland to the big parent company.

Nothx.

Can you name a shop that doesn't? Dunnes are the only ones that partly qualify and they keep all their profit within one family, have all of their stores at a critically understaffed level, get all of their stock from Asia and turkey, and are notoriously known as terrible employers to boot. 300 jobs is great news, end of. It will also encourage footfall on the Southside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Cienciano wrote: »
    300 full and part time positions.

Must be a huge store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Cienciano wrote: »

If it is big enough and they are anticipating a busy Christmas, then yes quite easily. Numbers will probably go down in January, some are probably Christmas contracts. But Penneys Mary Street currently has 700 staff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

I heard people were picked in nightclubs in town coppers being one for sure based on their looks and were invited to an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

They have some terrible ethics. Were sued hard a few years ago too for having absolutely no minorities hired, having only white models also. They were also only hiring people under the age of 25.

ah here, in fairness they do hire thousands of chinese :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Lads it's just a clothes shop, Abercrombie have stores in pretty much every major city in the western world...there's no point giving out about its American culture, we as a society were Americanised a long time ago. The more shops that open here the better.

• Advertisement

Can you name a shop that doesn't? Dunnes are the only ones that partly qualify and they keep all their profit within one family, have all of their stores at a critically understaffed level, get all of their stock from Asia and turkey, and are notoriously known as terrible employers to boot. 300 jobs is great news, end of. It will also encourage footfall on the Southside.

Yea we have mostly 'sold out' to China and left in all the big UK stores to milk the country for what it's worth but doesn't mean its a good thing or should be encouraged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Its a pity we dont have any Irish clothing company that has the pull to make people queue outside and spend loadsa money on them like that.

Well we already kinda do that have. Look at the tourists flocking to our Irish shores and purchasing 'I'm Irish' merchandise and their Aran clothing. They would be queuing in some doors over the Summer periods thinking the stores would run out of said merchandise.

Not quite the same as the A&F, but not all that different either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

F*ck sake, their clothes and fragrances are actually alright. Certainly beats having to buy online but maybe takes away the novelty of US shopping trips. :)

Get over yourselves people I doubt many here have a perfect fashion sense at all. Goons yourselves :eek:

Jay D wrote: »
    F*ck sake, their clothes and fragrances are actually alright. Certainly beats having to buy online but maybe takes away the novelty of US shopping trips. :)

US Shopping trips? Thinly veiled 'the celtic tiger is alive and well for me' post.

eth0 wrote: »
    US Shopping trips? Thinly veiled 'the celtic tiger is alive and well for me' post.

Thinly veiled - your ma ;)

I'm not the ponse trying to make a statement here and fyi, I've never actually been to America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I think you may be lost

ignore that post. It's spam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Thinly veiled - your ma ;)

I'm not the ponse trying to make a statement here and fyi, I've never actually been to America.
    Lucky Americans

Lucky Americans

You'd know wouldn't you?

You're not missing out. Particularly if it's the 'shopping trip' regions of america you're planning to go to.

Right well I'm glad I bumped into such cultured people.

All I'm saying is it's another shop and so what if it's getting that attention, get over it because it's not getting it for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Cill94

Hidalgo wrote: »
    If someone wants to spend 40, 80 or 200 euro on a t shirt, more power to them. Whatever floats ones boat.

Yep... I still believe they're eejits overly concerned with branding :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Do they sell socks?

I have an awful hangering for splashing out on a pair of €50 socks....with a monogram.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Yep... I still believe they're eejits overly concerned with branding :D

Comes out of the same sweat shop in China as the unbranded stuff, using the same materials. All thats different is the label and maybe some of the shoite they print onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

benwavner wrote: »
    Do they sell socks?

I have an awful hangering for splashing out on a pair of €50 socks....with a monogram.

Like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

^^^

oooh yeah, just like those....except nicer! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 l_f

So many people with chips on their shoulders......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

sink wrote: »
    They have some weird staff hiring practices, they sack people for putting on weight. There was a lawsuit in the States taken out by a girl who lost her job at A&F because she lost her arm in an accident. It's not that she couldn't function in her job it's that she no longer looked the part.

No, it was London

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8116231.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Only in begrudery Ireland & Boards.ie can a company open, create 200-300 jobs and still be labelled as tools :confused:

The mind really does boggle at times.........

It's not the store i would have a problem with. It's the idea that people would want to queue outside any type of retail store:confused:.....it's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

l_f wrote: »
    So many people with chips on their shoulders......

Examples please?

What do they have chips on their shoulders about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jaded Jester

Sorry op but you're just jealous. You couldn't model there, you couldn't work there and you can't afford to shop there. You hate it because it shows you where you are on the social ladder and you don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sorry op but you're just jealous. You couldn't model there, you couldn't work there and you can't afford to shop there. You hate it because it shows you where you are on the social ladder and you don't like it.

You need to work up a higher post count if you want to troll at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭archie199

Dead right, my thoughts exactly. Seriously jealous and bitter people complaining over a trendy shop opening! First few posts are ridiculous! Calling the lads **** and morons is crazy, ye don't even know them. Just because ye probably have a **** body and zero confidence to do what they do. Irish people are such moaners, it's embarrassing. I don't understand why ye would criticise people queueing for the shop either, each to their own as they say. They're doing no harm to anybody! A lot of angry people in this country who love nothing more than to put people down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jaded Jester

kowloon wrote: »
    You need to work up a higher post count if you want to troll at that level.

Yeah that's great. Tell me why it's trolling. You're talking rubbish. You couldn't work there either buddy, and it makes you insecure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

archie199 wrote: »
    Dead right, my thoughts exactly. Seriously jealous and bitter people complaining over a trendy shop opening! First few posts are ridiculous! Calling the lads **** and morons is crazy, ye don't even know them. Just because ye probably have a **** body and zero confidence to do what they do. Irish people are such moaners, it's embarrassing. I don't understand why ye would criticise people queueing for the shop either, each to their own as they say. They're doing no harm to anybody! A lot of angry people in this country who love nothing more than to put people down

ya because you would never put anyone down lol

Yeah that's great. Tell me why it's trolling. You're talking rubbish. You couldn't work there either buddy, and it makes you insecure.

how would you know if he could work there?know him well do ya?
    and why would he want to? never knew the dream was to work in an abercrombie and fitch shop:confused:

• Advertisement

ya because you would never put anyone down lol

? Good man, great contribution. Not a fan of the new shop?

? Good man, great contribution. Not a fan of the new shop?

couldnt care less about the new shop. I dont like or dislike it. miss guineys though:(

couldnt care less about the new shop. I dont like or dislike it. miss guineys though:(

Fair enough. I can safely say I've never purchased anything in Guineys! Do they even sell clothes for under 30s?

Fair enough. I can safely say I've never purchased anything in Guineys! Do they even sell clothes for under 30s?

clothes from the 30's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rantandrave

I would buy the stuff in America, their clothes are made to fit twigs, I'd prefer American Eagle tbh.
    That Hollister shop in Dundrum too seriously is so dark ya go in lookin for something yellow and come out with something feckin green or somethin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Kizzonian

New kids on the block had a bunch of hits
    Chinese food makes me sick
    And I think it's fly when girls stop by for the
    Summer, for the summer
    I like girls that wear abercrombie and fitch
    I'd take her if I had one wish
    But she's been gone since that summer,
    Since that summer.

New Kids on the Block sucked a lot of dick,
    boy girl groups make me sick
    And I can't wait 'til I catch all you ******s in public,
    I'mma love it
    Thats a better version IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I would buy the stuff in America, their clothes are made to fit twigs, I'd prefer American Eagle tbh.
    That Hollister shop in Dundrum too seriously is so dark ya go in lookin for something yellow and come out with something feckin green or somethin..

I'd need a torch to shop in there, I probably wouldn't fit in their clothes either!!

Don't think I'll be wearing my abercrombie hoody out anytime soon, wouldn't want people thinking I'm a pretentious spa....or that I bought it in Ireland!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kizzonian

Since when was working in a shop such an amazing opportunity that someone should be jealous about? You sound like a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

frag420 wrote: »
    I'm going to open a posh twat cafe around tbr corner from it. It will be staffed by tanned blonde girls in skinny jeans and tight tops. You have to be beautiful to get in and a coffee will be seven euro.

I shall call it Applecrumble & Fish!!

Opening day will have the aforementioned staff outside topless too!!

You should call it Applecrumble & Kitsch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭TheCatsMeow

I don't think a lot of Irish people who wear these brands realise Abercrombie, Hollister and Aéropostale are all aimed at 13-18 year olds in the States.

It's odd to see Irish men especially over the age of 30 wearing the shirts with the moose symbol. Their clothes are meant for preppy teens!

If you are in your 20's+ and want to buy branded American clothes go for Ralph Lauren or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

phasers wrote: »
    Their clothes are overpriced much and I hate everything about the brand and what it stands for, bit I don't plan to ever go in so who cares?

Well, at least the building they've moved into looks gorgeous now.

The shirtless guys are a bit clean cut for my tastes though.

I know one of the guys in the front row there. My old friend Token.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It is pretty sad to queue for clothes.

Match/concert tickets/cut-price electrical goods I can understand, but clothes??? Stuff that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I ain't jealous of them and I think they're all ****. I hate the blatant vanity displayed by these types of shops and the people who work in them. Due to the work I do, I regularly come in contact with high net worth individuals and I can tell you they do not act like these people. They're clothing and tastes are very expensive but they display it in a fashion that is a lot more subtle than A& F stuff looks gaudy in comparison, Hermes seems to be a favourite - 500euro shirts without even a logo on them! Half these langers are not even rich anyway.

Oh and screw there hoodies too. Don't care if they'e comfortable - sure most hoodies are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Will probably be closed in 6 months anyway.

Couple of years ago, their London store was the 2nd highest revenue after the flagship store (in New York I think).

If it goes like the Hollister store in Dundrum, it won't be closing any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

I don't think a lot of Irish people who wear these brands realise Abercrombie, Hollister and Aéropostale are all aimed at 13-18 year olds in the States.

It's odd to see Irish men especially over the age of 30 wearing the shirts with the moose symbol. Their clothes are meant for preppy teens!

If you are in your 20's+ and want to buy branded American clothes go for Ralph Lauren or something similar.

i've seen people in their 60s here wearing A&F and hollister clothes. they may be aimed at youth in the US, but the market is different in ireland. seems people of all ages like the clothes

• Advertisement
Advertisement