Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abercrombie and ****ing Fitch

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

No problem with the clothes, i have a few abercrombie polos and hoodies for just casual day to day wear. some a few years old still in great nick.

But the queueing up and the saps waving...mother of jaysus.

I wouldn't agree with girls spending stupid amounts of money on shoes they wear a few times before their toes fall off, but i dont get worked up about it.

Same way some people have very expensive watches....some people love them, some people think they need their head checked to spend that money on a watch.

who the fcuk cares??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Em...not so sure. A lot of 17-18 year sound like Americans. Actually David McWilliams wrote about this effect in one of his books.

I don't know too many - any, actually - teenagers but from what I've observed casually, yes, a lot do speak with a mock-Californian accents. However, I still think that's probably a phenomenon of the Irish cities. I haven't read David McWilliams's hypotheses so I'm hesitant to say much more! It's just my theory anyway...
    I am not trying to argue with you (I also find it depressing) but suggesting that most people/consumers give a toss about a companies values is a bit pie in the sky IMO.Even in more rural/market towns, when say a Boots or Lidl opens up, everyone flocks there and the local business is crushed. There is no loyalty.

I agree too that people don't consciously react to products' values or symbolism but I know that they do. I've worked in this area for some time and I promise you that companies spend a hell of a long time working out what they want to communicate to their audience and how to imbue their products/services with appropriate messaging. It's an insidious - yet ingenious - process.

Companies like Lidl or Boots aren't the same as A+F. A+F (or Apple or Audi or whatever) purports to sell a lifestyle, whereas Lidl, Aldi or Boots are more utilitarian; people's loyalty to them only goes as far as their cheap prices or extensive range. Take those away and consumers will drop them without a second thought.
    "Romantic Ireland is dead and gone, it is with O'Leary in the grave...for men were born to pray and save"That line is 100 years old!

Unfortunately, Yeats knew his stuff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Read an article in yesterday's paper saying Irish consumers were "livid" over the prices here in comparison to A&F in America, for the exact same clothing/fragrances.

Yet the queue was a mile down the street... Seemed very contradictory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Sorry for the confusion, I was not at all being serious. If anyone thought it was possible to escape judgement from others, they'd be wrong. I couldn't give a **** if someone sees an abercrombie logo (as it happens I didn't buy them myself but had no natural disinclination to them) and assumes I'm a gimp. The way I think about it is, maybe some people don't actually put too much thought into their clothes as social tools.

I think this is quite a good point.

Despite the apparent tenet of my earlier posts, I don't think someone should be criticised for wearing an A+F shirt or a hoody or whatever. Someone can wear an A+F teeshirt because they like the graphic on the chest and don't really give a fook about who manufactured it - that's completely fair enough and their business. Similarly, to say A+F's clothes are unfashionable or whatever is pretty silly - it's all subjective...

My gripe is with people who use these brands (including Apple, BMW, Hollister, Uggs... blah, blah, blah) to define themselves (and they do exist - there's a few knocking around this thread). These are the people who buy into a vacuous, vane and - frankly - unpleasant culture; they're the pathetic fools that I'm giving out about - not the heads who just like a warm hoody...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

eth0 wrote: »

They're both just overpriced Skodas
    And a Ferrari is just an overpriced Fiat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 StankyStevie

I can't believe this is happening, A&F are sooo last decade:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

They destroyed my life.

Was walking down Dame St with my girlfriend couple of months back and they had this giant poster of a shirtless man, all oiled up, must have been a hundred feet square in size, covering the whole building. Anyway, I felt intimidated by it but noticed my girlfriend was more than a little enamored and so had this rush of inadequacy come over me and I just innocently said: "Yeah, well your sister's got bigger tits".

She took it in a way I didn't intend and stormed off and then wouldn't return my calls. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, I missed work and eventually got so far behind in the rent, the landlord turfed me out on the streets. Fcuk Aberfcukingcrombie and fitch.

Here's the two of us in happier times, down the right hand corner of pic:

http://tinyurl.com/Jacinta-and-me

Not that funny to be honest !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    I don't think someone should be criticised for wearing an A+F shirt or a hoody or whatever.
    Funny you should say that...was just watching the RTE 9 O'Clock news and they interviewed Peter Quinn in the street just after he visited his da in Mountjoy.....young Peter was wearing a shirt with the logo A&F 1892.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/10/26/have-you-got-what-it-takes/

Walking past on bank holiday monday and there were 5 of the guys in red jackets outside. People were queueing to get pictures taken with them.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

How much are the ill fitting cheap looking jeans even without the identical bleach stains and holes in the window..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

eth0 wrote: »
    300 jobs helping to flog Chinese made shoite over here and bringing money out of Ireland to the big parent company.

At least we can do something for them:

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2012-11-01/news/34857702_1_storm-damage-disaster-estimator-eqecat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

had to get a bus outside there today, still huge queues for it, flippin eejits, heard one girl walking up going 'omg this is so exciting, I can smell it' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

It could be worse. At least with clothes people know what they are buying. Compare that to idiots who would line up to buy a razor blade coated vibrator if it was an Apple product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Turning my nose up at that shìt; sooner hipster than hypster we get the blandest shìt get online and shop like a parisian.. if u got the cash :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone see the news reports of Sean Quinn junior outside a custodial institution yesterday displaying an A&F advertisement on his sweater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone see the news reports of Sean Quinn junior outside a custodial institution yesterday displaying an A&F advertisement on his sweater?

Yes it's in a photo on the Irish Independent

I wonder if he fits the A&F demographic?

Or maybe A&F will become the uniform of the Quinn supporters club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

opti0nal wrote: »

Yes it's in a photo on the Irish Independent

I wonder if he fits the A&F demographic?

Or maybe A&F will become the uniform of the Quinn supporters club?

Good luck in getting them to hand over the cash for it! :P

Advertisement