Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All these upgrades, looks like I'm overdue... My turn

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the fans just say XSPC 1650rpm.

link to the bay res?

I can post you some CuSO4 if you want. I'll try find something to put it in. it'll be better than a kill coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-D5-Dual-Bay-Reservoir-for-ONE-Laing-D5-Pump-New-Product-pid-15903.html

I currently run fans at around 600RPM. I'm hoping for that or less with the GTs, so I'll need a fair bit of rad to compensate for that. The 120 probably is overkill, but again, futureproofing, etc.

Cheers. Will check if I still have my PT Nuke lying around. Can't remember where it go to.

So, ordering main rig and server parts today. Any changes could be made to this?

Item|Price
    Super-Flower SF450P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold|€63.38
    ASRock H61M-S (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40.94
    Intel Celeron Dual-Core G550 Box, LGA1155|€38.03
    Crucial V4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2.5") SATA II|€70.75
    Thermalright True Spirit 120|€26.36
    8GB G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€27.57
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€209.08
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€130.19
    Corsair Special Edition Silver Graphite Series 600T|€171.59
    Enermax Platimax 600W|€165.91
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€353.72
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27|€69.29
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Define Mini|€89.94
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1475.74

Server parts first, then main rig, then Define Mini was added as the server case at the last minute. Not sure if I want to go for an open-box Mini or not. It's not exactly a crucial part, and it's going to leave in a corner by itself, but right now the case is listed as date unknown, and I don't like not knowing how long I'd have to wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

pity wait for everything when its only a small case. They seem to be out of all the Fractel cases at the moment too so must be waiting on a big shipment.

Why not give Corsair some more business and get the 300r

Man that 600t is expensive

• Advertisement

the server board doesn't have USB3, sata3 or decent sound. I doubt that matters much now but it might in the future?

forget the crucial v4. its a pretty poor SSD. it loses out to HDDs in some tests. get the Samsung 830 for a tenner more. if it was 20-25 more than the Samsung it would be a different story, but for €10...

vengeance RAM doesn't OC very well. I've done well with g.skill ripjaws though. that said, colour scheme might be more important to you. it was for me so I swapped it out for vengeance myself.

I looked up that psu, and I'm not sold tbh. its only semi modular. 600w might also be a stretch on 2 780's, who knows. its just so typical enermax pricing. something like the ax750 is cheaper, higher wattage, more modular and only slightly lesser gold rated. technically its being discontinued because of the 760W replacement, but its got a 7 year warranty.

don't forget your gentle typhoons.

@deejer: The 200R doesn't have sound proofing, or very good HDD mounts. It's also got open mesh in the sides, so pretty bad in terms of noise. I think I'll just go with an open box Mini. I'm assuming they're just returns? Not dented or defective or anything like that?

Tea, server is probably always going to be fairly basic. Won't be running sound out of it ever, I don't think, and nothing intensive enough that SATA 3 would actually be of any real benefit.

The SSD is an interesting one. It's not actually going in the server. I'm swapping it with the 32GB Onyx in my GF's laptop, and the Onyx is going in the server. It's a pretty craptastic drive, so it'll still be an upgrade, though I might go for the 830 as €10 isn't that much...

Not bothered about RAM OCing TBH. Far more hassle than it's worth, and yeah, colour is important for this build.

The PSU... All good points, though the 750 is also quite a bit louder, and realistically, it's going to be the loudest thing in the rig. The Platimax's fan doesn't turn on until 50% load (vs. the 760i's 30%) and when it does, up until 90% it stays basically inaudible, where-as the 760 gets pretty loud pretty quick. I do agree it's very expensive for what it is (and I was considering the 700W version to support SLI in the future, but I'm not completely sure I'd ever bother with SLI that much anyway.

Also, got the GTs from Specialtech in the end. More expensive, but HWVS only has one 1150RPM in stock.

there's also the seasonic strider 650w.

I think the fan doesn't turn on till 30% then goes to 18db.

www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-silverstone-sst-st65f-g-strider-psu-silent-modular-80-plus-gold

Hmm... Not bad. I think I'll just stick with the Platimax though. I spent an hour and a half today trying to get my rig to boot after a power outage, so I'm not really in the mood for extra hassle, and Scan is a pain in the balls, because for some reason it never holds my account information. I end up having to call them to order stuff.

• Advertisement

Parts ordered. Went with an open box Mini. Don't really mind if it's a bit scuffed or whatever. I'd rather that and have sound proofing than have a pristine vibrating shell.

We start a separate build log once parts start arriving in.

Advertisement