Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a Masters in Computers.

• 01-11-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,

In 2013, I am considering taking a year out of work and return to college to take a masters in Computers. I graduated with a Beng (Electronics) in 1994 and will be in my 40th year in 2013.
    I have always worked in Hardware and Project type roles and now feel I need a new direction and am considering moving into the IT world . In order to faciliate this - I definitely need to upskill and complete a type of conversion course. I can see there are many conversion courses on offer for the Computer/IT world and there are lots of opportunities in the Dublin area.
    My concermns are:
    1) Am I too old at 40 to be taking a out and completing the Masters to move in this driection.
    2) Will I be competitive in the market place haveing finished the course taking into account my previosu experience.
    3) What kind of financioal assistance am I entitled to, if any, during the period of study.
    I would like to hear your advice on the above 3 questions or any other general advice if you can provide.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

On points 1 and 2:

I will admit I'm a bit younger than you but I don't think your age is a barrier. You hear/read/see all the time about people taking up a new skill. If it's something you want to do then go for it and don't worry about your age.

On the 2nd point, there are apparently a lot of jobs in IT available, while I'm not in IT I was discussing this with a friend recently who did CS. I was saying I was considering going back doing a conversion course and he reckons that basically you've a very very good chance of a job at the end of it. I know he had a ton of interviews and got a couple of job offers.

On the third point:

If you give up your job I'm really not sure what assistance you'd be entitled to. If you're made redundant or unemployed for X amount of time I think you can get back to education allowance, but if you just decide to try something else I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Sparky1972 wrote: »
    In 2013, I am considering taking a year out of work and return to college to take a masters in Computers.
    What do you mean by a masters in "computers"? That's a very broad area!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sparky1972

I was considering this conversion course from UCD:

http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/msc-computer-science-conversion

Any Thoughts on employment prospects after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Sparky1972 wrote: »
    I was considering this conversion course from UCD:

http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/msc-computer-science-conversion

Any Thoughts on employment prospects after!
    It depends on what you want to do, but this course is really just going to provide you with a foundation in computer science. Without any experience, I think you’re likely to find anything beyond entry-level positions out of reach.

Advertisement