Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...Help with visa application ?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

..Anyone ever went through the US visa process?

I don't qualify for a J1 anymore (:mad:) so I'm trying to get in another way( legally :P)..

I'm employed full time (in media) and would like to HOPEFULLY be over there to work, circa end of 2013 start 2014.

So i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or can tell me how their application process went.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Check out the USA forum under Region>Abroad>United States for visa queries.

Unless you were to get sent by your current employer as a regional reporter you have little or no chance of getting a visa that entitles you to residence. There is a media visa but that only entitles you to work in the US when you're on assignment from here eg for the elections.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1276.html#2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Unfortunately there is no visa for what you want to do. Unless you are a recent college graduate or a student, there is no visa that you can apply for yourself, that will get to to the US to live and work legally within the next year, or ever really. Short term visas are available to the media to cover specific events, such as the upcoming US election. But if you want to live and work there long term, the best option for you is to apply for a green card/permanent residency card, via the annual diversity lottery.

A possible option for you would be to get employment with a news channel/newspaper/media company etc etc here, who also have a US division. Then you apply for a transfer to the US department. If you are successful, the company will apply for a US work permit on your behalf. The process takes quite some time and is quite expensive. The companies who are willing to go to all that trouble & expense for their employees would be few and far between. You would also probably need to be fairly high up in the companies food chain & have some seriously unique and specialized skills, for them to want to transfer you to the US division, and go thru all the hassle of making the transfer legal. Most companies would consider it to be easier and cheaper to just hire a US citizen to do the work.

Don't want to sound so pessimistic, or sound as if I want to burst your bubble, but it is America. It is a very, very difficult country to move to and live in and work in unless you have close family ties to the country, a highly specialized and desired skill or trade, or you are a recent college graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RealtoReel

Thanks for the advice :D

Advertisement