Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just landed in christchurch

• 01-11-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Well just wondering where the irish hang out for the weekend, were just getting our bearings glad to be here this place looks amazing.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Welcome! You'll find Irish all over the place round about now. Everyone's finished work and hitting the pubs. Pretty much try any pub! I'd recommend The Craic bar on riccarton road if you're after Irish but if you want a good pub try Aikmans out in Merivale or Cargo Bar on Lincoln road.

Pm me of u need help with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

I recommend joining the Gaelic club as well. There's a social league where people of all nationalities play on Thursday evenings from 6-8pm. For the senior team training is Sunday and Tuesday. Google McKennas Christchurch GAA if interested. There's loads of Irish men and women at training and it's a good laugh as well. Apart from that 'The Fox and the Ferrit' and 'The Running Bull' are good spots and you will be sure to find Irish in there at the weekends. As mentioned, 'The Craic' bar is the main spot for Irish but is your bog standard away from home Irish bar (with extremely sticky floors). PM me for more info! Best of luck and hopefully see you around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The craic is where you find a certain type of Irish person ie scumbags.
    Its really the most disgusting place ive ever been in CHCH
    Youll meet lads through work etc. and the gaelic club as mentioned above is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

What do you mean amazing, There is hardly anything left. There is an Irish pub on Assap street called the Irishman. Do not drink myself but pass by there regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

opawaman wrote: »
    What do you mean amazing, There is hardly anything left.

+1

OP, you're in a new country. Forget meeting Irish people (you can do that at home), concentrate of meeting locals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Forget the Irish, acquire a taste for Speights immediately and get yourself to Bealey's Speights Ale House on Bealey Ave. Owned by a former All Black Captain.

http://www.bealeysalehouse.co.nz/location

• Registered Users Posts: 34 opawaman

Sorry to say ??,. But have been in this country for forty years and have lived in many parts of the South island, This Christmas will be the first time i will have visited an Irish club. Yes ! i agree ,"Get to know the locals,. But just as with kiwis in the UK who at first congregate in the Earls court area with their own kind while getting to know their new country, The new irish immigrant will do similar. Everyone meets the challenge in a different manner and they will soon realise just how friendly Kiwis are.The ones who really need help in the integration process are the non-english speaking immigrants. So lets give all newcommers a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seancie

Right well thanks for all the info, was in the craic actually and not a scumbag to be seen full of kiwi high school kids actually, guess school was out. Did venture to a few cool local bars,smash palace the bus pub was cool and also wrnt to revival for a night. Revival was another cool looking place got talking to the bar man there. Aparently it was the 1 year anniversary and i asked why the place was so quiet. He said they dont really advertise because its too mainstream thought that was pretty funny... Anyway i still love the atmostphere of the city even if it is full of shipping containers. Ive left thw city and went south to go work on a dairy farm and not an irish person in sight down here i hope this really helps with my integration... And i have developed a taste for the speights good tac... Thanks for the info anyways oh by the irish man is a kip reminds me of a cheap hostel lounge only thing irish about it is the name and the wagon behind the bar.

Advertisement