Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euros to Pounds Sterling.

Options
  • 01-11-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I'm travelling to Liverpool on Sunday and usually always use the bank to change money but I seen in the post office that they are doing commission free exchange. Would the rate be near enough the same as the bank making it worth my while.

Another option is using my debit card , I don't have a credit card. Should I take my money out of the bank in one transaction when I get there or use the card in shops that accept Maestro.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Withdraw the cash you need from an ATM when you arrive. It's usually better to take it all out in one go for a short trip as the minimum charge on an ATM FX transaction usually means that the charge will be the same for withdrawing £100, £200 or £300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

coylemj wrote: »
    Withdraw the cash you need from an ATM when you arrive. It's usually better to take it all out in one go for a short trip as the minimum charge on an ATM FX transaction usually means that the charge will be the same for withdrawing £100, £200 or £300.

is this better than changing it in the post office , might just change a small amount for taxi fare and so on and leave the rest in my account and withdraw it when we get there ??

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Karen23 wrote: »
    is this better than changing it in the post office , might just change a small amount for taxi fare and so on and leave the rest in my account and withdraw it when we get there ??

The Post Office will give you about 2 pence lower back on each euro, so if the bank gives you .81 pence for every euro the Post Office will give you back .79. They say commision free but in actual fact they have already taken it as such, hence why they give you a worse rate than the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

The tourist office on o connell street beside gpo has better rates than post office and has no commission. Not sure of exact rate.

Using link over there can be okay but loads of them will ride you so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

The Post Office will give you about 2 pence lower back on each euro, so if the bank gives you .81 pence for every euro the Post Office will give you back .79. They say commision free but in actual fact they have already taken it as such, hence why they give you a worse rate than the bank.

Thats what I suspected , thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement