Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Write an Essay

Options
  • 01-11-2012 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Using Harvard Referencing.

I just started college this year and I have three essays which are all due in the next 6 weeks.

I attended an assignment writing workshop last week but it wasn't very helpful to be honest.

I still have no idea how to reference or anything. We were also told we cannot use words such as "we" and "I" in one of our essays, which has confused me greatly.

Would anyone have any sample essays (any topic!) which I would be able to have a look at? Or even if anyone had any tips/links to sample essays I would be very grateful.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What subject? Law for example would have a very define style and referencing. We and I have no place in academic writing. Use the third person.

Example:

I think Hitler was bad.

It is submitted that Hitler was dreadful.
    It is the opinion of this report; Hitler was dreadful.
    It is clear from the facts Hitler was terrible.
    The facts lead to one in inexorable conclusion - Hitler was bad.
    One is lead to the obvious inference that Hitler was bad.

(Be wary of my punctuation!)

You'll pick it up as you go. Start reading articles appropriate to your subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Although it's not helpful for Harvard referencing, this website is absolutely amazing for clarifying MLA and APA style.

MLA style - http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/

APA style - http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/10/

Write it like you'd write a serious "argument" essay for Leaving Cert English, but in a more formal style. Use the passive voice. Use one paragraph per idea. When you make a claim, cite a text that supports it. Say what you're going to say, say it, say what you've said.

Advertisement