Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating issues?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

My laptop has been running very hot for the past few weeks. Approximately 90 degrees Celsius at all times. And a few minutes ago it froze and I was given a blue screen. When I tried to reset it the light on the power button would come on for a second and then turned off again. After about a minute or two when I tried again it started perfectly fine. Am I correct in believing this is due to it overheating? And would a cooling fan help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

my sis had same problem recently,,,i presume its a pc you have,,,our cousin who is handy with electrical items opened the main b0x(watever u called it) and cleaned some filters etc,,,works fine now

My laptop has been running very hot for the past few weeks. Approximately 90 degrees Celsius at all times. And a few minutes ago it froze and I was given a blue screen. When I tried to reset it the light on the power button would come on for a second and then turned off again. After about a minute or two when I tried again it started perfectly fine. Am I correct in believing this is due to it overheating? And would a cooling fan help?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Fans need to be cleaned inside the laptop. More than likely full of dust. Some Laptops its simple to do but for other laptops really complicated.
    Every shop I went to with one was 50 euro while with another laptop it was only a tenner and were able to do it there and then. Would have done it myself on the easy laptop but had no screwdrivers or cans of air yoke to clean em with. The 50 euro job the whole laptop had to be taking apart including keyboard to get at the fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Anyone have a link to a reliable tutorial to clean it out manually? Some of the ones I find on youtube look as if they do more harm than good. If it's simple enough with my laptop (Asus K53S) I'll do it myself before I go forking out money :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Anyone have a link to a reliable tutorial to clean it out manually? Some of the ones I find on youtube look as if they do more harm than good. If it's simple enough with my laptop (Asus K53S) I'll do it myself before I go forking out money :p

There should be a V after that i.e Asus K53SV - A1 or B1 ? There are more numbers i think. Have a look on the underneath of the laptop just to see the exact number as you can download the service manual and it will show you exactly how to disassemble it and just clean out the CPU fan as a priority, as this is probably blocking the air getting to the heat-sink from blockage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Usually simple enough to open one up and clean it out. Really varies from laptop to laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

As was said before, it all depends on the laptop manufacturer whether it's easy to take apart.

You might only have to take a few screws apart and take the keyboard out and then only the cover to get to the cpu fan, if you manage it and you can un-screw the two small screws holding the fan also pull back the cpu fan black plastic flap and see if theres a rectangle shaped lump of hardened fluff in there as this is usually the cause if the laptop is a year old or more.

The first place i would inspect.

Service manual >>>... it should be the correct one or similar. http://gentechpcforums.com/Images/Manuals/K53%20Series%20Guide%20Chapter%2002-v1.0.pdf A lot of screws but if you think you are up to it have a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Had a similar problem with my old laptop, try putting it on the lowest battery setting, might get it to stop shuting down at least till you get it cleaned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

zenno wrote: »
    As was said before, it all depends on the laptop manufacturer whether it's easy to take apart.

You might only have to take a few screws apart and take the keyboard out and then only the cover to get to the cpu fan, if you manage it and you can un-screw the two small screws holding the fan also pull back the cpu fan black plastic flap and see if theres a rectangle shaped lump of hardened fluff in there as this is usually the cause if the laptop is a year old or more.

The first place i would inspect.

Service manual >>>... it should be the correct one or similar. http://gentechpcforums.com/Images/Manuals/K53%20Series%20Guide%20Chapter%2002-v1.0.pdf A lot of screws but if you think you are up to it have a go.

yep that's the 50 quid job one, i'm not a computer idiot but if ya have no experience with it can easily muck it up. Could put a PC together with my eyes closed and solve 99% of software issues on anything #feckedlaptopbeforetryintoreplacemonitor had friends screwdriver and friend was with me, wish i never went near it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Ok I do these week in week out, €10 job is a total waste of time as it is only a quick solution, only way to do it properly is to get laptop totally disassembled, if the job is done right....all fins, heatsinks and grills will be cleaned and dust free, also all other parts inside laptop should be removed of dust. Thermal Paste should be reapplied as constant overheating usually "burns" it away, Good Thermal paste and can of airduster costs money so €50 would be an absolute minimum price if you want it done right and with a guarantee, for example, no can of airduster would have cleaned this congealed dust without opening the laptop ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=275310712579386&set=a.275310692579388.58180.100003013775196&type=3&theater ) I've seen people say "Ah f**it I'm not spending that kind of money, I'll go get a new one instead!" Defies logic!! (-;
    Good luck with it though

As was said before, some laptops you don't have to completely disassemble it. Its literally a 20 min job. However if it ones of those that complicated, it could take a lot longer to dismantle. Probably an hour or more. I've only done it on my own. I wouldn't do someone else's unless they were writing it off as dead. If you wreck someone's laptop by making a mistake, its going to cost you a lot more than €50 to fix it. Another thing is if a laptop is running hot it could be the fan failing. If they get blocked by dust/dirt its can kill the fan slowly over time. As RepairMyPC above says if someone only charging pittance to do it, I'd be wary. Also be careful of repair places that find new problems, as they may have made a mistake and broken something. So check that you agree whats working/not working before hand, and they cover any damage if they do it.

But if its overheating and you keep trying to run it you make permanently damage the laptop beyond economic repair. So I would get it fixed rather than ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If the machine is overheating replacing the thermal paste can be just as important as can clearing out the dust. For overheating laptops/desktops a full cleanup is really neccesary. Some laptops are easily taken apart, others no so easily. For a person handy with computers and with a service manual the process should be handy enough, provided you take your time :) .

Nick

I just downloaded a widget that monitors the temperature and fan speed of my GPU. It says the fan isn't spinning at all :eek:. Would this be due to dust clogging it up? I'll bring it in for repair ASAP. Haven't a notion of going messing with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

The fan will only come on if it needs to. Not sure of what the threshold temperatue would be for your laptop/pc but I think around 70 degrees would be ok, while 80 is pushing it.

Personally, I think everyone these days should be able do perform basic maintainance on everything they own, but that said, charging €50 isn't ridiculous given the amount of work involved. It takes me at least half an hour, with an unlimited supply of compressed air from a compressor, a vacuum cleaner , cotton buds and make-up brushes to give my PC a proper clean.

Most people never do it, but I always know when it needs doing as the fans are on more often.

The fan will only come on if it needs to. Not sure of what the threshold temperatue would be for your laptop/pc but I think around 70 degrees would be ok, while 80 is pushing it.

Personally, I think everyone these days should be able do perform basic maintainance on everything they own, but that said, charging €50 isn't ridiculous given the amount of work involved. It takes me at least half an hour, with an unlimited supply of compressed air from a compressor, a vacuum cleaner , cotton buds and make-up brushes to give my PC a proper clean.

Most people never do it, but I always know when it needs doing as the fans are on more often.
    70/80c for the CPU is very hot, ideally you'd want to be idling around 45/50c or less. The only proper way to clean out a clogged up laptop is to take the whole thing apart, clean the heatsink with rubbing alcohol and remove the built up dust/dirt. clean the CPU/GPU, and then re-apply thermal paste to both and rebuild the machine.
    €50 for a full service like this is very cheap, it can take me a while just taking appart some laptops, and many are tricky to put back together so you must take it slow and carefully, otherwise you might miss something. I'd say €60-70 would be a fair price for a full service. If a CPU is hitting 60/70c idling or even under load, this will probably make the system slow and unstable. Desktop computers generally are much easier to clean, so the costs involved would typically be less. I think around the 100c or more is thermal cut off on most laptops, for obvious reasons :) . GPUs will take a bit more heat, but Nvidia 8xxx series cards should be kept much cooler if possible, as they all fail gradually if reaching high temps over time.
    I just downloaded a widget that monitors the temperature and fan speed of my GPU. It says the fan isn't spinning at all . Would this be due to dust clogging it up? I'll bring it in for repair ASAP. Haven't a notion of going messing with it myself.
    The widget mightn't support your GPUs sensors. Try using GPUz instead.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    70/80c for the CPU is very hot, ideally you'd want to be idling around 45/50c or less. The only proper way to clean out a clogged up laptop is to take the whole thing apart, clean the heatsink with rubbing alcohol and remove the built up dust/dirt. clean the CPU/GPU, and then re-apply thermal paste to both and rebuild the machine.
    €50 for a full service like this is very cheap, it can take me a while just taking appart some laptops, and many are tricky to put back together so you must take it slow and carefully, otherwise you might miss something. I'd say €60-70 would be a fair price for a full service. If a CPU is hitting 60/70c idling or even under load, this will probably make the system slow and unstable. Desktop computers generally are much easier to clean, so the costs involved would typically be less. I think around the 100c or more is thermal cut off on most laptops, for obvious reasons :) . GPUs will take a bit more heat, but Nvidia 8xxx series cards should be kept much cooler if possible, as they all fail gradually if reaching high temps over time.

The widget mightn't support your GPUs sensors. Try using GPUz instead.

Nick
    Downloaded it but I don't see anything to do with the fan on it?

Downloaded it but I don't see anything to do with the fan on it?

Dont worry about the fan, look at the temps. Fwiw the GPU and CPU heatsink are likely together, so there is only one fan

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Dont worry about the fan, look at the temps. Fwiw the GPU and CPU heatsink are likely together, so there is only one fan

Nick
    80-85 degrees while on youtube. 90-95 degrees while gaming. Too hot right?

80-85 degrees while on youtube. 90-95 degrees while gaming. Too hot right?

For GPU that is ok, for CPU it is too hot

Nick

What laptop is this?

Got the fan cleaned today, huge improvements so far. From 95 degrees while gaming to 55. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

• Registered Users Posts: 11 badboll11

Follow these Steps

1. Clean the motherbord/Cpu etc. WITH CANNED AIR! not vacuum cleaner!
    2. Check Temp with software (see link 1)
    3. If its possible controll The FAN from the software.

If the fan not respond with the software try to change settings(see link 2)

i had a problem like you and i had to move the CPU fan connector to the CHASSI fan connector on the motherboard to make any speed changes in the software.

"On the boot screen it will say "No CPU fan found" but its ok.

Or the a 4-pin fan because its more controllable( if your mothercard support is)

Here is the links with the software and tutorial

--SPEEDFAN---
    LINK 1 http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

LINK 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgDnjyfc2w

hope you solve it

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Got the fan cleaned today, huge improvements so far. From 95 degrees while gaming to 55. Thanks for the help.

Good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

Clean your laptops people!

Advertisement