Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a 'survival knife'

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Greetings

I often flick through this forum at times and even ' prepare ' a little at home for any shtf scenarios.

My question is about the survival knives I see ye guys posting pics/links of etc, what excactly is the range of ' tricks ' survival knives have/can be used for ? Can some knives really do alot more than others say or does it really matter ?

Is having a certain type really the difference between life and death scenarios or do I need some serious education in the use of them, I suspect the latter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Survival knives are billed as such because they tend to be stouter and built to withstand the stresses of outdoor life better than say a breadknife. You can get "survival knives" with built in compasses and flints and compartments and all sorts of knick knacks attached, but those are just gimmicks. Dangerous gimmicks because they weaken the blade superstructure.

Tough and easy to sharpen, that's what you want.

As to what they are used for, everything. Ray Mears used to say on his show that the knife was the single most important bit of kit you can own, since you can use that to get everything else. A knife can be used to baton logs to produce firewood or cut down trees. It can be used to cut plants, strip them, make cordage from the fibre which can be turned into fishing lines, bowstrings and snares. It can sharpen sticks, make needles, skin animals, the backend can be used to spark with a flint, really endless uses. It can carve spoons and bowls, it can defend you from wild animals if you're in a country with such fauna. You can use it to dig holes if you need to.

You need to practise this stuff though and know what you're doing though, otherwise the knife is just a sharp lump of metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A slightly knife obsessed young fella that I was in school with (many moons back) brought in a military one with a small hollow in the Handle, containing hook and line, waterproof matches and a needle... It also had a way of attaching the scabbard and blade together to make a wire cutters... Dunno was it a gimmick

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Markcheese wrote: »
    It also had a way of attaching the scabbard and blade together to make a wire cutters... Dunno was it a gimmick
    No that's fairly standard military issue. Go mad with the scabbard by all means, but make sure your knife is just a good knife, no more, no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thespoofer,
    There are tons of trick knives and gadgets out there. Look them over to see what suits you.

Fundamentally, you want a good strong piece of quality metal for the blade. A gut hook is optional, but may come in handy and will not take up extra space. I really don't use gut hooks anymore while gralloching deer.

The knife should have saw teeth opposite the blade. In survival situations a saw will be exponentially useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

"The best survival knife is the one you have on you"

Sorry for the trite sound byte but it is pretty accurate!

I like swiss army and leatherman for daily and maybe TOPS and some custom stuff for going hunting/camping.

Tricks are for Kids, silly Rabbit!

There are a lot of things a knife can be used for, matter seperation being one of the main ones!

Scraping, fire lighting, splinter removal ...

Get a decent knife and it won't let you down. For cheaper knives I like Mora, SAK, Condor, most carbon steel knives like TOPS and Ka-Bar, ESEE, go over to Heinnie Haynes and have a look around the website, much knifey and survival goodness to be had!

If you want an opinion or a chat just drop me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

This is the one I use, it can take a truckload of abuse! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Carrying a knife in Ireland is illegal so I don't see the point in buying knives.

If I was buying a knife, I would go for the Parry Blade.

Carrying a knife in Ireland is illegal so I don't see the point in buying knives.
    9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.
    Carrying a knife without good reason is illegal, having one while out hunting, fishing or camping is a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Carrying a knife without good reason is illegal, having one while out hunting, fishing or camping is a good reason.
    You could add hiking to that or even just bein out for a ramble in the fields

I would Kev., and hopefully an Garda would as well.

I would hope to meet an older, well seasoned Garda who is used to country ways.
    A ramble in the fields is only an excuse for a forage, and that needs a knife for cutting brambles and nettles, sticks and fungi etc.

If you can justify it to a reasonable man, it's ok to carry. I often carry a folding (fiskars) saw or an axe (Wetterlings or Gransfors Brux) to coppice timber or cut walking sticks in the winter while the sap is low. I have a valid reason why those tools are the best for what I am doing, not that I've ever been asked as I'm not causing hassle down the town at kicking out time. :rolleyes:

Drexl, carrying a knife isn't a sign of a thug or an automatic jail sentence, but is very handy to have when required.
    Drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a little pen knife to see how it feels. Very handy altogether when out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

I know some folk who carry a bit of fruit with them, that way they can use the knife to cut it up :)

Advertisement