Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow preparation

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:22pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It might happen, it mght not.
    What will you do to prepare for a significant snow event this winter?

What lessons have we - on this temperate isle - learned from recent winters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've fallen so many times it's not even funny anymore! I'm thinking of wearing those spike things that go on over your shoe. Only problem is I feel like a spa wearing them :o I'm also gonna raise the height of my dog's kennel because I shudder at the thought of her getting snowed in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've fallen so many times it's not even funny anymore! I'm thinking of wearing those spike things that go on over your shoe. Only problem is I feel like a spa wearing them :o I'm also gonna raise the height of my dog's kennel because I shudder at the thought of her getting snowed in :(

You'd look a bigger spa when you faceplant into the footpath and end up on the news.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    You'd look a bigger spa when you faceplant into the footpath and end up on the news.

This is very true :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have snow spikes, thermal boots and snow boarding trousers. I'm perfectly prepared for walking in snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

haha , this guy :D i would hate to be him !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I always keep some old carpet,a shovel,i also have some cold ash from the fire in the boot of the car these a handy when travailing in snow.
    Also people should take in to account with winter tires that they are designed to work best in temperatures under 5dg and below,so they will wear quickly in temperatures above this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

if there was going to be that much snow would you not let the poor bitch in the house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NIALL D wrote: »
    haha , this guy :D i would hate to be him !!!

I could never see a funny side to that at all. Poor chap could have broken his skull.

duckysauce wrote: »
    if there was going to be that much snow would you not let the poor bitch in the house ?

Yeah but sure you never know how much snow is gonna fall at night when she might be outside already and I asleep. She's got heaps of fur anyway so she won't be cold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Socks on the shoes, if you don't have any ice spikes for your shoes works a treat. Of course you are left with a big cold damp sock on your foot after a while but needs must!

My other lesson is once it starts snowing and you are driving, get home as quick as you can, otherwise you will get stuck in a traffic jam (for over an hour!) behind a van where the van (empty van) can't get up small incline. The only way out is to round up random people force them into the van to add weight.

So the short version if you have a van in the ice weigh it down with a few blocks before going up those hills :D

Other than that take your time, turn off traction control, cat litter in the boot, a shovel, torch, warm blanket and you are sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The guy falling was not funny but Dobson was funny drunk on air...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I could never see a funny side to that at all. Poor chap could have broken his skull.

I am sure he posted on here about it after a while, if memory serves me correct, which a lot of the time it doesn't so could be making that up in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

For when I am travelling, some of my preperations include the following:-

Ensuring tyres are in good condition and appropriate for expected driving conditions.

Ensuring fluid levels on the vehicle are adequate and appropriate.

Carry an ice scraper and a can of de-icer for gaining entry to vehicle. I let the heater gently defrost the windscreen and windows.

Carry some warm clothing and a blanket or two in case of becoming stranded.

Carry a small quantity of high energy food such as chocolate, cereal bars etc... The likes of Pot Noodle or similar is great comfort food if carrying the below...

Carry a bottle or two of water. Perhaps a method of heating it for a warm drink. Small 1300Watt Camping Gaz burner with small canister takes up very little space. I have a Trangia burner (complete kit with wind guard, two pots, fuel container) which takes up less room than 4 paperback novels. Approx €15 cost.

Folding shovel. One with a metal locking screw rather than the poor quality plastic ones.

An old clean sack or two can prove as useful as a piece or two of carpet as if needed one can dig up some dirt and carry it to the vehicle to lay under the wheels for traction. I've done this on more than one occasion and not just in snow :D

5ltr container of fuel.

Packet of baby wipes. Useful for ALL occasions :)

All that lot can easily fit into a plastic storage box that can easily be dropped into the boot of nearly any vehicle.

For when not travelling :-

If people attempt to clear snow outside their property this can help mobility immensely. For anyone not travelling, a gallon of spring water is not expensive, wind up torch etc... Ensuring an adequate supply of fuel and food. All common sense items and ideas. Checking on neighbours can be great for morale too.

Nothing in that list costs a fortune yet can help a person so much if they run into trouble. If you're warm, dry, reasonably well fed and stranded, not in immediate danger, you won't need rescuing thereby reducing the burden on state resources.

I have battery back up for my wireless Internet connection, ensure laptop is charged and for those without a small generator, a simple car inverter can be plugged into a vehicle cigarette lighter socket to enable one to use their mains chargers for laptops, mobile phones etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Spindle wrote: »
    So the short version if you have a van in the ice weigh it down with a few blocks before going up those hills :D

Other than that take your time, turn off traction control, cat litter in the boot, a shovel, torch, warm blanket and you are sorted.

actually, only do this if you are in deep snow and are trying to dig your way out with the tyres. Which you only do once you have scooped the snow out from the tyres' paths otherwise it is far better to have traction control on as most of us drive like apes.

Some of the posts go OTT on what you should bring in the car. Funniest comment I read on the subject was to pack dog food, as you will just eat normal food out of boredom but you need to be desperate to eat dog food.

Plus you will have a glossy coat when they dig you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Plus you will have a glossy coat when they dig you out.

LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My other lesson is once it starts snowing and you are driving, get home as quick as you can, otherwise you will get stuck in a traffic jam (for over an hour!) behind a van where the van (empty van) can't get up small incline. The only way out is to round up random people force them into the van to add weight..

Empty Van trick. Once there is room to slide down the hill, turn around and drive backwards up ~ it works a treat. ;)

LOWER Tyre pressure. Let them get almost flat, it's easy to do. Most vans wil drive on their own, so first gear and let it go itself, a tap to stop it stalling is all that is required.

Lower tyre pressure all round is a general tip, a van may have higher pressure than 'normal' to facilitate its payload so it will be even more susceptible to ice and will slide even more readily.

Adding weigh is good, move the cargo or add some, but avoid human cargo, we have one or two tragedies every winter over this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

My preparation usually involves the following:

1. Go to shop
    2. Buy beers
    3. Wait for snow
    4. Put beers in snow
    5. SNOW BEERS !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Of course you are left with a big cold damp sock on your foot after a while but needs must!

After a while? By "a while" you mean, like, two seconds, right? :pac:
    My other lesson is once it starts snowing and you are driving, get home as quick as you can, otherwise you will get stuck in a traffic jam (for over an hour!) behind a van where the van (empty van) can't get up small incline. The only way out is to round up random people force them into the van to add weight.

Snow AND an abduction? Exciting! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

1. Phone boss to say working from home.
    2. Boot work laptop
    3. Log into work VPN and instant messenger
    4. Turn on home laptop and read about snow, look at pictures, on boards / twitter
    5. Turn on liveDrive to hear about people stuck in the snow
    6. Periodically move mouse cursor on work laptop to stay available on instant messenger

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

gbee wrote: »
    Lower tyre pressure all round is a general tip, a van may have higher pressure than 'normal' to facilitate its payload so it will be even more susceptible to ice and will slide even more readily.

not for grip on ice though.

Look at snow tyres and, in particular, contrast tyres used on tarmac vs snow in rallying. Snow ones are much narrower as you want more pressure on a smaller area, so you get "bite".

"Bite" is facilitated by thread type, rubber compound and thread depth. Those guys flogging second hand winter tyres? a complete scam. you need a good 4mm on compact snow/ice to have any hope. and more in loose snow.

So don't lower the tyre pressure, you do not want a wider spread of tyre like you do in sand. also, you can dig out snow, (good luck doing that with sand) and you will not want/be able to reinflate the tyres afterwards.

Driving in ice/snow is all about "feel" Soft tyres "numb" this feel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Come on, we know there's one more step in that sequence.
    t|nt|n wrote: »
    My preparation usually involves the following:

1. Go to shop
    2. Buy beers
    3. Wait for snow
    4. Put beers in snow
    5. SNOW BEERS !!!!
    6. Yellow snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

- Winter tyres for car ready to go on- probably this weekend.
    - Winter tyres for bike ready to go on - these things got me up tree rock in winter 2010 when cars were struggling
    35bysfd.jpg
    savage yokes. Great for the commute.
    - Cameras charged and memory stick emptied
    - Weather station (mostly) running
    - Bird feed got
    - Logs and Bricquettes and firelighters got

.... BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!!!

edit : Crap. Forgot the most important stuff.... never made my xmas beer yet. Gulp. maybe the snow can wait a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I bought a big snow shovel in Lidl recently for €8.99, I'll always have it.
    It looks something like this :)
    http://www.outdoorclearance.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=151489&utm_source=S

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

MrDerp wrote: »
    1. Phone boss to say working from home.
    2. Boot work laptop
    3. Log into work VPN and instant messenger
    4. Turn on home laptop and read about snow, look at pictures, on boards / twitter
    5. Turn on liveDrive to hear about people stuck in the snow
    6. Periodically move mouse cursor on work laptop to stay available on instant messenger

I can save you a step there my friend:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Mouse-Clicker.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

slowburner wrote: »
    It might happen, it mght not.
    What will you do to prepare for a significant snow event this winter?

What lessons have we - on this temperate isle - learned from recent winters?

snow shovel, grit and salt stored in shed, winter tyres, didnt need any of it last winter !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fibre optic internet to the house, working from home policy at work, workstation set aside in the house, and then basicly stay at home unless I've no other choice. And lots of food in the freezer (and dried pulses and flour and the like) to save having to go to the shops until after the worst of it, if it gets really bad.

A folding shovel in the boot of the car since winter, 2010. Never needed to use it, even in 2010, 'cos I didn't go driving anywhere if I didn't have to...

Was thinking winter tyres alright, but haven't managed to get them yet. And I'd prefer to just not drive if that was possible...

And about six different sets of overshoe crampons from the simple little stud type that are grand for most of the time, right up to these lads:

226769.jpg

'Cos driving sucks in snow, but walking's a bit of fun especially if you have a nice snow jacket to keep toasty with (TK Max, 50-60 euro) and decent gloves (sealskinz, best gloves I've ever owned).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

1. Open up Net Weather Radar
    2. Position laptop in comfy spot near window
    3. Commence lamppost watch
    4. Stare at thermometer hoping it will go down
    5. Make tea
    6. Check radar
    7. Resume lamppost watch.....

Yup sounds about right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

House.

1. Top up fuel supply if not mains utility
    2. Insulate incoming pipes and attic storage, check roofing insulation and vents.
    Carbon monoxide detectors for when the house is mostly sealed up, can
    accumulate from any fossil fuel source
    3. Bottled water, powdered milk for the kids. Tins and packets

Car.

1. Good all round tyres, winter tyres on a standard car are a false economy - check the car magazine websites for a review of a good all rounder. Carry a 50kg bag of sand in the boot of rear wheel drive cars to aid traction. Throw in some old carpet tiles for use under the wheels in deep ruts
    2. Check the battery, oil, lights, fuses, add anti-freeze to coolant. Carry plenty of spare fuses as stressed wipers and heating systems can take out other electrics if they go. Spare coolant, water and winter screen wash
    3. De-icers, scrapers, pocket ciggie lighter for heating keys on older cars. I carry a wide dustpan and brush with a rubber edge on the pan, the brush clears heavy snow quickly and the pan works well as a shovel and scraper
    4. Throw a bag in the boot with waterproof hiking or snow boots, crampons, a warm coat, high-vis vest or jacket, fleece blanket, bottle of drinking water and a few bars of choccy

Older relatives

Check their fuel and grub, make sure they have nothing urgent to do that will mean they do something daft like try and walk down the hill to the village and break a hip.

Self.
    1. Beers
    2. Work number moved to number one speed dial in case of snow day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

ZX7R wrote: »
    Also people should take in to account with winter tires that they are designed to work best in temperatures under 5dg and below,so they will wear quickly in temperatures above this.

That is a myth.

They are designed for places like the alps in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy etc where temperatures typically fluctuate between +20C and -5C before settling down to very cold when winter takes hold, and the same again in reverse during spring.

A friend of ours keeps winter tyres on all year round and there has not been any more wear than the old summer tyres. Winter tyres are a waste of money for most people here, the all season tyres are a better choice because they are designed to be left on all year and you can't be caught out if the weather suddenly changes and you forgot to change to winter tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I bought a big snow shovel in Lidl recently for €8.99, I'll always have it.
    QUOTE]

Snap!!... picked one up in Aldi today at the same price, also picked two bottles of deicer and some salt for the path, bet we get nothing this year..

Advertisement