Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGA Genesis - DAMN!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

grindle wrote: »
    Not yet, doing the "hang out with girlfriend" thang.
    Later though. She seems sleepy. I'll spend the evening yawning to make her feel more tired. ;)

Admit it, you've drugged her

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Elbow wrote: »
    Admit it, you've drugged her

She's still awake. You warned her about the drugging!!! WHYYY?

Half a season of 'Dexter' later, my Tiamat lies dormant in my bag, bitter and lonely.

This. Device. Can suck. My balls.

Lunch break wasted on five doomed coils.

The top-coil hotspot is incredibly unforgiving.

Rararararrraahaggaarararaah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I went through the same thing with the VH Genesis...........very frustrating. Top coil every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*remembers jokes about him constantly coiling his RDA*

*smiles*

• Advertisement

*remembers jokes about him constantly coiling his RDA*

*smiles*

*remembers making those jokes*

*laughs inwardly, thinks self is hilarious*

*grimaces*

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yep, I'm personally on my second cobra, and on the 473rd attempt, it still tastes like ****.

Why, god, why can't it be as easy as Scott Bonners videos?

Fecking things are tough alright. I can make a mesh wick for the Bulli hotspot free but its absolutely, completely and utterly of no relevance to doing those genesis type ones........

My VH ones worked better by tightening the top first rather than the bottom. I pulled the wick towards the post as well.

You'd burn through wire at a rate of knots when it's not working out too.

Had it working great for about ten minutes. I'm a broken man. Think my wick needs to be fatter, maybe. The coil that didn't pop would fire away for ages but then the wick'd stop...wicking. It goes red, then the hotspot returns.
    Gonna buy a drillbit tomorrow.

Is 0.15 too thin or something? Even though it's higher resistance, it might be more prone to snaping once heated up too much.

I dunno. Drillbit. Mmm.

you're using kanthal right, not nichrome?

.15 kanthal shouldn't be an issue. that was always my problem wit mesh wicks.. the coil isnt even the hardest part it's making the wick properly and there's just no way to know that you have it done right

• Advertisement

Yeah, Kanthal. I'm probably just making excuses. Need to try harder. I haven't had any (well, many) problems with mesh in the Phoenix, RDA, T2 or Vivi (apart from the Vivi's legs being prone to a hotspot if you don't double back).

Thing about all of those that was different to this was I coiled those wicks outside of the atty, no obstruction or awkwardness, so I could do the "softly-softly" thing, then put it in place.
    With this I've been fiddling and twisting around the wick, in place, so there's a good chance I'm scraping it at some point or other, especially when tilting the prick of a thing towards the post.

Nice ad for drillbits on my page right now. Taunting me.

have you tried the rizla method for making coils?

Like an asshole, I haven't. Thanks!

Seems like it may do the trick.

I should really use YT's 'saved videos function more - I watched that months before getting a Genesis. Very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭republic of goon

the drill bit method has always been a disaster for me. r u going with a paperclip size hole or a solid wick?

Yeah, the drillbit never worked at all for me. It was even worse than the standard wrapping around the mesh way. Never worked no matter what I tried to use it for.

I always find that no matter what I do using the drillbit method, the mesh always needs to be a little smaller than the coil to get it in and that always means that the coil isn't touching the wick as much as I'd like.

the drill bit method has always been a disaster for me. r u going with a paperclip size hole or a solid wick?

Paperclip-sized hole. Should I go solid?
    When it did work, it wicked great for a while, but the constant heating of the coil and thus the mesh is what I thought was causing the hotspot. Just before the spot shows up, or the coil pops, the wick was getting red hot.

Maybe solid wick & rizla method could be my saviour.

I remember somebody on here told me to roll the wick in cotton wool before making the coil and this stops hot spots. It leaves a tiny film on the mesh that you cant really see but it's enough appartently.

Might've been me - or maybe I read that too and adopted it.
    Works great on the Kangers and the Vivi, but when I tried it on this, it ended up singeing the cotton. The fact that it was singeing instead of vaporising suggests the wicking wasn't up to the job in that case.

Will have great craic trying all this out tonight.

Also - the draw on it is tight as fúck. This idea that rebuilding works out much cheaper vanishes when you have to buy a blowtorch and a drill.
    #tiniest violin#

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭republic of goon

yeah Check out ukvapers under technical issues I think. apparently solid wick is the way to go. there has to be an easier way I've literally watched hours flying by with hot spot and wicking issue. the worst is when u take the first drag and ur all proud cause it tastes nice then second drag.... like inhaling a faulty exhaust pipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I found the easiest method to.

1) Cut Mesh and Fold the 2 edges about 3mm each side completely flat so no "burrs" can contact the wick.
    2) Blowtorch all over and Aircool - I dont bother water quenching.
    3) Roll wick around a really thin Paperclip - Blowtorch again - juice and light on fire just once.
    4) Wrap Coil around Wick pretty tight leaving about 15mm each side
    5) Insert Wick/coil using just 2 nuts -
    6) Attach and fire dry until red hot, twist the wick around the first few burns.

Just using 2 nuts rather than three and slightly less exposed wick and most of my problems went away.

When I first got the did I went nuts oxidizing over and over which is 100% not necessary - I've been using the same wick/coil for 2 weeks now and no sign of it letting up even after multiple caramelized thick juices - washing it with boiling water, dry burning again and refilling.

I found the solid wick just didnt work well for me - at least on the DID.

Also leaving out the fill hole nut was a must or there was no wicking whatsoever.

Cutting the wick at the tank inserted end at a 45 degree angle improved wicking no end too.

Oh and I'm using and slightly heavier .214 gauge Kathal

Occasionally I'll get a hotspot that I can taste and just twist the wick a tiny bit and back in action.

• Advertisement

I've been using the mesh for a while in my Bulli but thought I'd give the straight FG a go this evening.

SO SO much easier to set up. Couple of minutes to wind the coil and you're done. Went back to 0.15 kanthal as well. That works very well with Andrei's wick.

You could spend hours and hours with mesh getting it right and never ending checking for hotspots afterwards.

Some people use FG in the Genesis types too. Might be worth trying if you're still struggling with mesh?

Using FG - Sounds like giving in. Even cotton. Giving in.

Used the Rizla method with a solid wick. Tiniest bit of Rizla ever.

Coils work fine for a few fires, but taste of burnt Rizla (after blowing and brushing off the ashes, then juicing up), and then... Then that hotspot arrives.
    I'm extremely jealous of anyone who gets this working first time.

Measured the coils with wicks when first installed - 1.9ohms.

Measured after sliding coils out - 1.9ohms. Glows evenly with wick out.

Measured after sliding wick back in - 1.9ohms. Leave it for a minute to let the wicks soak up some juice...
    Woohoo! It's working... Still working... Ohnowaitthere'sahotspot.
    Leave it soak up juice again, same deal. Fires great a few times, then the hotspot arrives.
    I'd like to double back on the positive legs and twist them, but there's very little space to actually do that. Already feels like repetitive micro-surgery.
    Maybe #500 mesh'd do the trick for me. Argh!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I read somewhere before that with mesh wicks it can take a day or two for them to work totally right. If you can get one kinda working it might be worth sticking with it a day or two.

I hate giving in on them too...........................I revert back to FG and convince myself that its just as good but after about 7 mins I go back to trying the mesh again until I have enough of trying to get that right and the cycle goes on...............

stevenmu wrote: »
    I read somewhere before that with mesh wicks it can take a day or two for them to work totally right. If you can get one kinda working it might be worth sticking with it a day or two.
    It won't last past 10 minutes with the top-coil though. One pops, then another ten minutes and the other pops. Pops taste revolting.
    I hate giving in on them too...........................I revert back to FG and convince myself that its just as good but after about 7 mins I go back to trying the mesh again until I have enough of trying to get that right and the cycle goes on...............
    My brain is frazzled. I've plenty of other stuff I'm happy to vape on, but this has me flummoxed.

I'll try a U-wick tonight, that should really confirm whether it's a wicking issue or not, and if it works, I'll keep it that way until I can get some #500.
    But #400 works for so many people! It's not faaaaaaairrrrrr!

Toys--->Out of pram.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm having similar issues with my Cobra, it's definately a wicking issue and not a coil issue, if i hold down the fire button when the wick completely dries out, all the coils are glowing evenly, and when the wick is completely saturated it's like the coil is flooded and i'm getting miserable vapour production.

poxy things!

I know how you'll solve all of ye're Genesis issues......................buy a Bulli :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Any video you see of anyone chain vaping a genisis to show how great they are, they all practically all hold the thing horizontally. I'm not convinced they wick vertically for anyone... there's my massive generalisation for the day :)

EDIT: really looking forward to the AGA arriving now...sounds like it's gonna be a barrel of laughs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

If you want a few drags - just tipping it for a second or two before firing works just fine, for chainvaping yes you need to keep tipping horizontal or at least 45º if its full, keep tipping every few drags or you'll run dry fast.

No different that a Clearo though I've yet to use ANY clearo either that chain vaping works well with without tipping upside-down or sloshing the juice around either - and I've tried them all (literally)*

*With the exception of one bottom feed clearo-tank which had decent production but leaked & cracked in hours.

I've only ever had flooding if the wick isn't "fat" enough - 20-25mm seems to be perfect.
    I know how you'll solve all of ye're Genesis issues......................buy a Bulli

Pfft ... SPLITTER!
    ppfj.jpg

My Tightly Wrapped Coil after 2 weeks using just 2 nuts.... 350# mesh and .214 coil @ appx 1.8 - 1.9 ohms.
    8187548743_2e0bd5338b_c.jpg

• Advertisement

Gryzor wrote: »
    ...they all practically all hold the thing horizontally. I'm not convinced they wick vertically for anyone... there's my massive generalisation for the day :)
    was.deevey wrote: »
    If you want a few drags - just tipping it for a second or two before firing works just fine, for chainvaping yes you need to keep tipping horizontal or at least 45º if its full, keep tipping every few drags or you'll run dry fast.
    This could be it.
    I was testing with the mod vertical, and I tend to vape with it held vertically when I'm internetting.
    Anyone have any experience with #500 or even #625? If it means I can keep it vertical it'd be worth the possible extra cost.
    I like not having to think about what way I'm holding my device.

*remembers carto-tanks wistfully*

Advertisement