Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGA Genesis - DAMN!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Smaller holes in the mesh normally means less wicking I believe espessially with thicker juice - #625 is really REALLY fine and much easier to burn when oxidizing as well. I'm using #350 in my setup with 50vg/50pg and don't need to overly tip too much to get a good flow and I'm at home on the computer 12hrs a day almost, slight tip every so often if I find the taste starting to ease off, you should definetly not be popping top coils while vaping - I never run "that" dry and you should be able to taste it when the top coil gets too hot before it pops.

Also are you leaving out the fill hole screw - that was the single BIGGEST revelation to getting any kind of wicking going on after my first attempts otherwise the bloody thing acted like a vacuum and would need to hold it up-sidedown for it to even partially whatsoever and cut the tank end of the wick @ 45º angle - not flat to the bottom of the tank so juice can get sucked while you vape, kinda like a spray gun.

Dont cook the mesh too much either.

hehe, how often did you vertically smoke ciggies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

was.deevey wrote: »
    Smaller holes in the mesh normally means less wicking I believe espessially with thicker juice - #625 is really REALLY fine and much easier to burn when oxidizing as well. I'm using #350 in my setup with 50vg/50pg and don't need to overly tip too much to get a good flow and I'm at home on the computer 12hrs a day almost, slight tip every so often if I find the taste starting to ease off, you should definetly not be popping top coils while vaping - I never run "that" dry and you should be able to taste it when the top coil gets too hot before it pops.

Also are you leaving out the fill hole screw - that was the single BIGGEST revelation to getting any kind of wicking going on after my first attempts otherwise the bloody thing acted like a vacuum and would need to hold it up-sidedown for it to even partially whatsoever and cut the tank end of the wick @ 45º angle - not flat to the bottom of the tank so juice can get sucked while you vape, kinda like a spray gun.

Dont cook the mesh too much either.

hehe, how often did you vertically smoke ciggies ;)
    From the comments on the forums, they're saying that once you get to #500 and above, the capillary action drags it up much faster, even if pure VG.
    Some guy on ECF did a test on PG and VG juices (and kerosene, to test how quickly it could wick and burn from one end to the other) and found that the #500 was best for all types.

Fill screw: taken up with a second wick (as it will be when I try the U-wick), but I've left wiggle room for air/can see down the side of the wick to the juice.

Cooking mesh: it's hard not to do it with a blow-torch, but I've mastered the art of swiping it through the flame for half a second and getting a lovely orange hue/glow. The resistance stays the same, and there's never a spark on the actual wick. It's always right in the middle of the top-coil to post section.

45º Wick-cut: yep.

Vertical smoking: if I was allowed to smoke inside and wouldn't have burnt a laptop, iPad, my pants or my face in the process, I would've done it.
    If my face is facing downwards, my vape is facing upwards. ;)

Cooking mesh: it's hard not to do it with a blow-torch, but I've mastered the art of swiping it through the flame for half a second and getting a lovely orange hue/glow. The resistance stays the same, and there's never a spark on the actual wick. It's always right in the middle of the top-coil to post section.

Deffo some shorting going on between the post and wick then however small, electricity finds the shortest path ... its the only reason you'll get a hotspot there and I mean literally cooking it to a char where the holes are sealed, I cook mine pretty good but not to the point of any ash.
    Fill screw: taken up with a second wick (as it will be when I try the U-wick), but I've left wiggle room for air/can see down the side of the wick to the juice.

The problem with wiggle room is once you actually start to wick you are sealing up the vent hole again with juice - I found it solved my problem - but sealing the filler hole even with a tiny bit of mesh and wicking was non existent.

Might be worth trying a hybrid wick of silica wrapped mesh for your vertical pleasure ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I hate the idea of hybrid wicks.....neither here nor there. I might actually try a FG wick in my VH Genesis though just to see how it performs.

Whenever I've got the mesh one working I've had the mesh bent in towards the post and it just looks.........not linear or symmetrical enough for me or something.

Why do they have the wick hole so far away from the centre post anyway? If it was closer then there wouldn't be that big gap to the centre post.

Edit: Just made a FG wick using three strands for the VH Genesis. Took about 3 mins to make the coil and install and it worked very well actually. Needs a fourth strand as its drying out during a vape but excellent vapour!

Decided to puss out as well, made a single coil with cotton. Having an RDA-like atty chamber really brings out that initial chlorine-y cotton taste, much more so than the Vivi, but now it's settled in, quite nice.
    The length of a toke I have to take due to the single coil and the tight airflow though... Feels never-ending after using either duals or the very very airy T3.
    Might get a second airhole drilled where the other coil sits, and a new wicking airhole into the chamber's base.
    Any good reasons not to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Mine arrived from ESI this morning, appears very well built for the cash. Airhole seems to be lining up at the wrong side, appears to be a common problem with these....

I imagine much swearing and banging things off the table to follow later on!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Mine came in this morning too. Luckily the airhole seems to be in more or less the right place for a mesh wick, I might have to leave the top a tiny bit loose or put an extra o-ring just to get it exact. Won't get to try it out till this evening though.

Interesting to see how you get on..................I've semi given up on mine. I could EVENTUALLY get it going but never was completely satisfied with it. By the time I sorted the top hot spot the coil and wick just looked "wrong" to me...............

****ing ****stick :mad:

Heh heh.......been there......

• Advertisement

I'm so sad for you, really. But so happy I'm not the only one.

Just got reminded on UKV that the doubled-twisted leg trick for the Novas should work on the same principle on these (Penelope's get shipped with an NR-legged coil for a reason!).

Not much talk of it on UKV (where they mostly seem to use .20 and love their 1.3ohm resistances), but checking on ECF, a lot of people had trouble with hotspots using thin wires in Genesis-styles, and started using twists and fisherman-knots back to the wick to remove said hotspot with success.

Now... Should I try this after six glasses of Bailey's?

I noticed that as well - they all seem to be looking for sub 1.5 ohms. Strange. Just burns the flavour for me at that.

Are you vaping yours with silica or cotton or something still?

I noticed that as well - they all seem to be looking for sub 1.5 ohms. Strange. Just burns the flavour for me at that.

Are you vaping yours with silica or cotton or something still?
    Yeah. I know they're all using mech mods and that, but a freshly-charged battery at 4.2v with a 1.3ohm comes in over 13 watts. I have had juices taste nicer at slightly higher voltages using SS, but not that much. Unfortunately my mod's amp-limit restricts me to a single coil when going for higher wattages (peaks at 8watts per coil), so I have a tiny bit of headroom left to discover, but nothing's ever tasted any sort of real for me once I got to 10watts on a single.

Using cotton, yeah. Grand I suppose. The hot spot on the top-coil shows up, but it's easy to throw wet cotton over that and the hotspot is never to be seen again.
    Tastes much better than a Vivi, a little better than the T3 (warmer) and slight bit better again once I used twisted wire.
    Much much worse than the RDA with dual-coils (sometimes cotton, sometimes mesh with cotton wicking up to them if I can be bothered cleaning them. Having to clean those wicks after a week of practically cafetière-pressed Virginia Prime aches my balls - but every time I SS mesh the RDA... Virginia Prime *sigh*).

The RDA is just one fantastic bit of kit. It's my gold standard for flavour. That hole leaks like a sieve though and the RTA is just too bulky for me.

I'm using a Bulli A2 tm and I love it. The flavour and vapour are excellent - much better than the Classic and A2 t but much harder to set up too! Only thing is that I sometimes miss the warmer vape that the genesis would give.

Might pull the stinkin' filthy animal of a BH genesis out again and set it up with FG wick. I know I'll end up cursing it again though........usually end up with juice all over the flipping place. I found it didn't wick as well as I'd like with FG last time I tried either.

I'm not even going to attempt the mesh wick.......it's got me beat......

Success finally :), drillbit method worked in the end....5 wraps of .2 kanthal came in at around 2.2ohm.

Still glowing slightly at the end of the draw around the middle of the coil if it dries out too much, nothing at the top post which is a relief!! I'm hoping a bit of use will gunk it up a bit and that glowing will go away....for just happy i can vape it....

Well done!

If the drillbit works for me, republic of goon and Green Hornet are dead meat.

Ŵhat size drillbit are you using Gryzor?

Or, what would you recommend bearing in mind I'm gonna be using the fill hole and the wick hole and there needs to be an airy gap in the wick hole?

Or if anyone knows an easier way to do dual-coils without obstructing holes, please tell me.

grindle wrote: »
    Well done!

If the drillbit works for me, republic of goon and Green Hornet are dead meat.

Ŵhat size drillbit are you using Gryzor?

Or, what would you recommend bearing in mind I'm gonna be using the fill hole and the wick hole and there needs to be an airy gap in the wick hole?

Or if anyone knows an easier way to do dual-coils without obstructing holes, please tell me.

I used a 2.5mm bit. Mesh was 40 X 60mm rolled around a straightened paper clip.

Are you going for dual mesh or dual fg??

Dual mesh. I have high hopes it can match the standard of a dual RDA.

Might have to cut the mesh in the wick hole (wider, unthreaded) down to 40-45mm. Either way, I've a hotspot to fix. Air is the least of my worries at this stage, as the hotspot occurs in single (feed hole open) or dual (feed filled with wick, but wick hole left with what I though was ample space).

Maybe the 2.5 drillbit would be too big for me considering I'm closing the 'Designated Air Feed' TM? Would a half mm be enough to allow air to pass?

grindle wrote: »

Maybe the 2.5 drillbit would be too big for me considering I'm closing the 'Designated Air Feed' [SIZE="1"]TM[/SIZE]? Would a half mm be enough to allow air to pass?

Doubt it would if you'd have 2 coils going, not sure though...

Gryzor wrote: »
    Doubt it would if you'd have 2 coils going, not sure though...

Might pop into the local DIY place, see if either they or anyone else can throw a 1mm hole into it, out of the way of anything else. Suppose it should be cheap enough?

• Advertisement

Had a go at this last night. Not a huge success, but not a total disaster either.

With the first coil, the top coil popped instantly. With the second one the resistance seemed to swing from 1.1ohms to 8.9ohms and everywhere in between. I was using a Lavatube Vx to measure it, and it has been a bit dodgy lately so that wasn't helping, but I'm pretty sure I was getting lots of shorts as well. The wick was a bit smaller than the hole and could move a bit so I think that was at least part of the problem. The third coil started with the same shorting problems, but did settle down to 2.4ohms which was about what I expected it to be. Still have a bit of a problem with the top hotspot but not as bad.

The mesh seemed to wick pretty well, I had to put some liquid into myself to get it started, but after that it seemed ok. Though I've noticed when I take a drag, especially a hard sharp one, it bubbles in the tank. It's quite gurgly too. So I think I'm sucking the liquid up the wick rather than it wicking on it's own. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

The end result is something that's kinda vapeable. The biggest problem is actually the gurling, I'm afraid to take a good hard draw on it in case liquid shoots everywhere. Vapour isn't great, but it's not terrible. Flavour seems mostly good, even after a few quick drags, but the hotspot comes through on longer drags.

Still, I'm happy enough for a first try. I think it could be a very nice device when set up correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

are you all leaving a few mm of space between the top of the wick and the top coil? genesis atties need a bit of wick up top to help that top coil stay wet

Yep, I did anyway. In fact I made the wick way too long at first and had to trim it back to get the case back on. For me anyway the wire touching the wick seems fine, it's the length of wire between the wick and the centre post that glows red.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stevenmu wrote: »
    Yep, I did anyway. In fact I made the wick way too long at first and had to trim it back to get the case back on. For me anyway the wire touching the wick seems fine, it's the length of wire between the wick and the centre post that glows red.

oh yeah, i always had trouble with that in my line. i think you have to kinda lean the wick towards the center post rather than have it straight

Twisting the wire as grindle pointed to earlier might be the answer to the top hotspot. Good thread on it here with a vid aswell. Think i might give this a go later...

Both good ideas. I'll try them out for the next effort.

I'm going to put the fill hole screw back in and see if that fixes the gurgling too. I'm guessing it should only be left out if the wick is pretty solid and fits the hole tightly.

There's a mini AGA on the way, the AGA-S. Less than half the weight of the AGA-T....

There's a mini AGA on the way, the AGA-S. Less than half the weight of the AGA-T....

As I said in the original post - the speed things move! .. FFS the AGA has only got in peoples hands LOL

The Idea of twisting 2 wires together on the top post. FFS is so so so so so Stupid Simple it should work perfectly every time without any grief !

*Edit needed to wash and recoil as things were starting to taste weird - so I tried the 2 pieces of kanthal twisted together for just the top coil and wrapped the coil around the wick prior to inserting.

Result : Perfectly firing coil with zero hotspots in less than 2 mins :-O

mythconfirmed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭republic of goon

one of the o-rings with the aga is bigger it lets u position the hole with less rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

was.deevey wrote: »

As I said in the original post - the speed things move! .. FFS the AGA has only got in peoples hands LOL

The Idea of twisting 2 wires together on the top post. FFS is so so so so so Stupid Simple it should work perfectly every time without any grief !

*Edit needed to wash and recoil as things were starting to taste weird - so I tried the 2 pieces of kanthal twisted together for just the top coil and wrapped the coil around the wick prior to inserting.

Result : Perfectly firing coil with zero hotspots in less than 2 mins :-O

I'm on a dense buzz, I've seen the vids on twisting using a drill to make the whole coil. Are you just twisting a short piece for the very top hotspot prone coil? If so how are you doing this, I can't picture it, ta

Advertisement